in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-10-2008 8:56 PM by beored. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-08-2008 11:22 PM

surround experience with front 5's and back 4's ?

Hi,

I've been browsing the constant flow of opinions on surround set up and options. Sorry to start yet another one.....but does anyone have experience / opinions if a pair of Lab 4's would "survive" or work well with a set of Lab 5's as front ? Would they stand relative high volumes when having to work with the 5's in a rough rider of a movie ?

The center is a Lab 7-1.

Have had Lab 3's and were happy, but for different reasons would like to consider the less exposed Lab 4's - I cant test it at my location, so would appreciate any suggestions. As much as I enjoy the surround effects, I am now also of the opinion that the 3's are almost a bit of an overkill for the relative small amount of effects etc going through the back speakers.

Occasional use setup as an audio only in Speaker 4 mode, but I'm guessing they will handle that just fine.

thanks for any input and feedback.

Red

• 03-09-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Re: surround experience with front 5's and back 4's ?

Hi Red,

I would be have some concerns about this combination; My concern would be that the sound of the front and backs would be to different (not power wise but tone wise). Best way to find out is to request your dealer for a test at your home.

I actually have a similar question: Would 1 BL3 be good as a center speaker in a surround setup using 2 x BL1 and 2 x BL4000? I know that using 2xBL4000 would combine good tone wise, but I do not like the look of 2 x BL4000 as center speaker. I have the same concern about tone difference. Does somebody have any experience with this combination?

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 03-09-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

Hi Bieele,

thanks, not sure I understand the tone issue - as you however correctly point out I would much prefer to test it, but not possible at my location.

I have heard the single BL3. Only recommendable with 4 other BL3's imo - then it will work fine. In a setup with fx lab 5's the lonely 3'er tends to disappear.

red

• 03-09-2008 7:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd avoid it like the plague. I know the BL4s would only be playing surround sound channels, but even then I've found these rear channels often contain a large amount of data, down to surprisingly low frequencies (the movie House of Flying Daggers springs to mind). BeoLab 5s are capable of outputs exceeding 120dB @ 1m, whilst BeoLab 4s would struggle over 90dB @ 1m (and the increase in dB from 90dB to 120dB is MUCH greater than you would think).

Not only would the volume output be an issue, but as Bieele says, the difference in tone between the two speakers would be an issue. BeoLab 5s are, well, IMO flawless. BeoLab 4s have quite a different sound and as a result, the two wouldn't work together as a 'complete' system.

@ bieele, it should work fine, although I've never heard such a setup. BL1s & BL3s do have certain things in common in terms of their high end and midrange...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-09-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

While the purist in me is throwing up in my mouth, the realist in me says that this is probably a fine idea.

The setup in one of our shops here actually uses this very setup, while the other uses BeoLab 9s all around. While sitting in the BeoLab 9 setup, clients consistantly ask if there are loudspeakers in the rear (I guess they think they're dwarf nuns or something), while the ceiling mounted lab 4s have everyone spinning around and taking notice.

Now obviously this is a psycho-acoustic reaction due the Lab 4s' chirpiness, but to say that you simply can't have this setup is a bit too purist (though I would personally just do without rear channels, especially if I had 5s up front, as opposed to going with anything below 3s).

As for a BeoLab 3 as a center, we've done this a few times and it sounds brilliant! It's like a mini 7-4.

Hope this helps.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-09-2008 1:36 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

beored:

...not sure I understand the tone issue - as you however correctly point out I would much prefer to test it, but not possible at my location.

red

Red,

the issue here is referred to the term  'voice matching' and is an attempt to deal with differences in the way certain types/families of speakers sound in relation to one another.  The BeoLab 5/7/3/9 are all part of the same family and have a similar 'flavor' of sound.  The idea is that as an actor moves from left to right on screen, and his voice travels with him one doesn't want his voice to change back and forth.

Hope this helps.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-09-2008 5:51 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

@ TripEnglish, don't you feel that this could simply be because the BeoLab 4s are higher up than the BeoLab 9s? BeoLab 3s should do even better as they respond better off axis (which is usually more important for rear speakers than it is for fronts, as you sit at a greater angle in relation to the rear speakers themselves).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-09-2008 6:36 PM In reply to

Alex,

This might be a part of it, but they got the same notice when they were on floor stands. Even against BeoLab 3s in the same placement. I think Russ hit it on the head. The 3s and the 9s have the same voice, so they don't stand out as much, but rather add to the experience in a natural and proportional way, whereas the 4s are like little yapping terriers trying to get your attention.

Believe me, I'm not going to defend this setup too much! I'm just saying that if his friends come around they'll all say "wow! you gots surround sound!" It's sort of like telling people that the BeoVision 9 is 20k and when they freak out you rotate the stand and they say, "Ooooh! Thaaaaat's why!"

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-10-2008 8:56 PM In reply to

thanks for your comments... guess I might give them a shot.

Welcome any further opinions.

red

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)