in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-06-2008 12:17 PM by BarryAndrew. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2008 12:17 PM

Non-B&O Sub-woofer

Oh No! Not another Non-B&O sub question?

Not at all! I am just popping back to the site to provide some useful info on my selection of a non B&O sub. I am not saying that its the best in the world but it has a nice sound and some useful attributes.

The choice was an REL R305 retailing at about £800. If you have an F1000 with two cubes then it sits quite nicely in the missing cube space. Forward firing 10 inch with 300 watts RMS and amongst others variable crossover. Now I no that these form of statistic is pretty boring but it can come in a beautiful gloss black with stubby titanium coloured feet. Not an exact match for the silver of the F1000 but it doesn't scream at you.

Useful attributes;

3 input choices Line, .1 LFE, and speaker

.1 LFE and speaker connections can be connected at the same time and it will suit the source. However for that you will need a power amp but if you have then it could solve the problem of being either a good music sub or a good hiome cinema sub.

Controls are not on the back but slung underneath. For someone disabled, like me, this has its benefits but  if you dislike the position (Iam told) that you can extend the connection that links to the controls and place it almost anywhere.

It is very happy in an always on position and only consumes about 4watt whilst in that situation.

Has the ability to be subtle in its bass output and matches my 8000 very well. No need to have it boomy but if you want then its there.

Connected to the sub on my dolby on my BV6-26 with a cable bought from ebay (soundsheavenly). They made it for me (its simply a 5pin din to single RCA) and it costs £7.99 + postage (I think about £10.98). I suggested to them that there was a potential market for such a lead and they said they would update their "shop".

Its far too early to sing its praises but what I hear so far I like. The only downside I can see is the silly blue led that stays on all the time. That will be dealt with shortly. This is not an anti-B&O sub comment just roviding an alternative that works very well and there is no loss of control. 

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)