in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-07-2008 3:49 PM by Stars. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-05-2008 6:51 AM

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Newbie Here .... Hi all

Hi guys and gals - just joined this forum so thought i'd say hi. I'm quite new to the B&O scene having been a huge fan for many years and i eventually bought myself a Beosound 3000 with Beolab 6000s and a Beo4 about 6 months ago.

I've just purchased a Beovision Avant 28" VHS (2000 model) the other day after going into my B&O dealer to look at the Beo5 (I WANT ONE BADLY!!! Cool) and ended up walking away with a mint p/x they took from an established buyer, they offered it me for £350 so couldn't refuse.

I'd love to connect it all up so the 6000s act as surround sound speakers to the TV but realised that it may not have the powerlink ports at the back - i hope it has as i got excited at the price and took my card out immediately!! Be nice to have the Beosound all linked up but will have to see if its all compatible.

Will no doubt be on the forum for advice in the near future - cheers all.

Dave (Birmingham member)

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 03-05-2008 7:03 AM In reply to

Re: Newbie Here .... Hi all

Hi Dave and welcome to BeoWorld!

Congratulations on your new B&O purchases. It seems clear to me that you've caught the B&O bug already!

I have not used a 28" Avant before, but I can't believe it won't have a Master Link connection for your BeoSound 3000 and BeoLab 6000s.

• 03-05-2008 7:18 AM In reply to

Hi:

I can confirm that my 28" VHS Avant which is convex screened is Master Link enabled so your TV should will almost certainly have this function.

Thanks

Graham

• 03-05-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

The question will be, does it have the optional surround sound module. If it doesn't, these are still available I believe and can be added!
  • 03-05-2008 8:20 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

I've been told my Avant does NOT have the Dolby module - does that mean i can't use my 6000s as rear/surround speakers as i want to be able to use them for surround sound and for my Beosound 3000 in the normal way - not very B&O technical i'm afraid so go easy on a newbie!!

Cheers

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 03-05-2008 8:53 AM In reply to

You need the surround module. If you have one pair of 6000s, these would actually be the front speakers on the Avant with the speakers in the Avant itself acting as the centre speaker. Rear speakers actually have relatively little sound sent to them but are worth getting in the long run. The price of a new module used to be £250 but you may find that one of our members could help source one. You can still connect the Avant and your system but the speakers will be attached to the music system. You can also play the sound from the TV through them but it won't be surround sound, just stereo. Will still sound good though!
  • 03-05-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Thanks Peter - a comprehensive answer. I was going to put my 6000s to to rear of the room but i wont now otherwise i'll have very little sound coming from the Avant if it will only act as the centre speaker so it may sound a bit strange! Looks like the 6000s will need to be beside the TV due to not having the dolby module. Knew i should have asked the question prior to forking out! Damn impulse buy Wink Still worth connecting them all up though.

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 03-05-2008 9:38 AM In reply to

Hi:

I reckon you could get a Dolby module for fairly cheap (less than £100) as when Avant tubes break they become uneconomical to repair. Therefore if someone has an Avant that is broken in his way you could possibly poach the board out of one. Broken Avants of this type do appear on Ebay sometimes.

Thanks

Graham

• 03-05-2008 12:15 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Hi Dave, nice to see another Birmingham member.Wink Which dealer did you buy the avant from? As the one in Solihull had one for sale the other day. It was also a 28" VCR version.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-06-2008 2:49 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Hi Graham - it was the Solihull store indeed, only went in to look at the new Beo5 - very cool!! It was a minter which swung it - forgot to ask about the lack of Dolby though which is a bit of a pain but if my 6000s work as the fronts then i suppose its not all bad. They said they'd install it and get it all working and connected up to my BS3000 for me - i assume that was included in the price - or at least i hope so!! Very friendly people and even invited me to their champagne evening on Wed 12th.

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 03-06-2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Dave0280:

Hi Graham - it was the Solihull store indeed, only went in to look at the new Beo5 - very cool!! It was a minter which swung it - forgot to ask about the lack of Dolby though which is a bit of a pain but if my 6000s work as the fronts then i suppose its not all bad. They said they'd install it and get it all working and connected up to my BS3000 for me - i assume that was included in the price - or at least i hope so!! Very friendly people and even invited me to their champagne evening on Wed 12th.

Only met the new owners for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and yes they are very friendly people. Keith and Scharlie the previous owners retired at the beginning of the year. Popped in today myself to collect some Beolink 1000 battery covers I had ordered.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-06-2008 2:26 PM In reply to

Hello Dave

You're not the only newbie in here!

You're story is pretty much like my own. Once you get used to one remote with a nice quality feel to it, it's impossible to return! You're trapped!

I bought my Beosound 2300 8 years ago with Beolab 6000, like you. It's a beautiful little stereo! Since then I've got an Avant, a Beovision MX 4002 in the kitchen, a Beovision 6-26 in the bedroom, Beolab 5 as new front speakers (replaced the 6000s), beolab 4000 as rear speakers + some telephones and light control.

So just wait and see. Soon you're home is filled with these wonderful TVs and loudspeakers that all work nice together.

Regards, Torbjorn

Btw, the 28" Avant VHS was definelately available with the dolby surround module in 2002, when I bought my Avant with DVD. Funny if its not possible to build it in you're Avant. But the other guys in here are the experts! Good luck!

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 03-07-2008 3:49 PM In reply to

Torbjorn, I bet the BeoLab 5s gave you a fright when you first swapped the BeoLab 6000s with them!  Laughing

Both are fantastic speakers.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)