in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-08-2011 5:23 AM by Hildebrand. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-05-2008 6:34 AM

BV4-50 & BS1 Issue

Hey everyone, got an annoying issue with my recently acquired a BV4-50, roughly 5yrs old, which from what I can make out is a MkII (correct me if I am wrong) and a BS1.  Anyone know from the numbers what Series the panel is D7 or D8 I'm guessing?

BeoSystem 1                      BeoVision 4 - 50 MkII
    Type - 8480                         Type - 8951
    Item - 1800403                     Item - 1895126
    SW - 4.7
    Manufactured - Sep 2003

US BOX Service menu
    Version
    - BOX       4.7 May 26, 2004, built Wed May 26 17:12:11 FDT 2004
    - MCAD   Id:17, Ver:1, Rev:29, PROM:3d
    - CCDB    4.7g

I will be bring the BS1 in to get the code converter database updated if applicable and understand that it's a good idea to get the chips updated while I'm at it if they aren't yet, I have seen v5.1 to be the latest for the chips.

Final got around to setting it up today and this is what I have so far...  DirecTV HD H20-100 via component cables to the DTV IN on the Top Connection panel and the analogue sound R/L connected to the relevant sockets in the STB area on the rear connection panel.  Then my Sony DVD player connected to the relevant sockets in the DVD area on the rear connection panel via S-Video and analogue sound R/L.  STB External Source is set to DIRECTV H10 only option listed next to DIRECTV R10.  BS1 is connected via the PROJ OUT on the top connection panel to the BV4's PC IN port as well as the BV4's RS-232C connected to the Data port on the rear of the BS1.

When the system is powered on the IR signal is sent to the BV4, it powers on and the sound fades in on the speaker but the picture is black.  If you check the status on the BV4 it shows that it came up in RGB.  When I switch PC input the picture appears.  When the BS1 is powered off the curtain closes and sound fades out and the BV4 goes into Standby.  I should add that in the setup menu the BV4 is set as Component/RGB-IN Select set to RGB.  Regardless switching it to COMPONENT the same thing happens, it keeps defaulting to RGB Input on power up.  Don't see any other settings even in the Service menu for the BV4.

Is there something that I am missing somewhere in the setup?

PROJ./SCREEN SETUP
    PROJ./SCREEN     0
    DELAY (SEC)         10
    CONTROL/DATA     560

I have tried 555/557/560 as well as swapping the Proj./Screen and Control/Data settings, but nothing seems to work.  And putting the 555/557/560 as the Proj./Screen setting doesn't put the BV4 into Standby, when the BS shuts off, the BV4 stay on, plus you get no curtain that I recall on shut down.  So I am guess that 555/557/560 which all yield the same result need to be in the Control/Data setting where they were initial.

Can anyone shed any light!

Hiller

BeoVision 4-50 MkII, BeoSystem 1, Zektor Switch, DTS box, BeoLink Passive, BeoVox Cona, BeoLab 1, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 4000, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 3000, BeoMedia 1, BeoMaster 5, BeoSystem 3 Type 9621

• 03-05-2008 8:03 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV4-50 & BS1 Issue

There should be 2 inputs on the BV-4.  Have you tried using the other one?

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-05-2008 7:12 PM In reply to

It does have all three inputs the AV Video RCA & S-Video, Component/RGB Y/G, Pb/B & Pr/R RCA as well as the PC High-Density Mini-D-Sub 15pin. 

Yeah, initial when I got the BV4 wall mount I connected the DirecTV box via componet cable and everything was fine.  As well as the DVD through the S-Video connection on the BV4.  But seeing that I want to run everything through the BS1 and from my understanding in terms of connection quality the list goes HMDI > DVI > RGB > Component > S-Video > Composite thus connecting the BS1 to the PC IN port.

Everything was working fine except for the small problem of the screen defaulting to RGB.  Last night I was going through the BV4 settings to try and find something possible and switch the IIC settings the first option in the BV4's Service Menu accessed by holding down the Vol on the BV4 and pressing Status on the Plasma remote three times, from A to B.

Every since doing this the BV4 remote doesn't seem to have any effect on the BV4 anymore, the green status light flashing showing that it is receiving the IR signal but none of the commands are recognized now.  Needless to say neither is the input button the front of the BV4 either, so I can't switch the input.  If I connect the Component cable up directly to the BV4 the picture comes on, but it is green as if it's not getting any feed from the other cables!

I tried disconnecting the power from the BV4 for several hours in a hopes that the Plasma Panel would reset itself to its factory defaults which I have read some individual having done at least with their Panasonic panels.  No luck still not recognizing commands from the remote and the only picture that works is the green one when connected directly via the component connections.

Anyone dealt with this problem before, I am hoping that I haven't really screwed it up.  Call my local B&O store and they said they would have there Tech call me tomorrow, so I got a Green pic for at least 24hrs minimum.

Hiller

BeoVision 4-50 MkII, BeoSystem 1, Zektor Switch, DTS box, BeoLink Passive, BeoVox Cona, BeoLab 1, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 4000, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 3000, BeoMedia 1, BeoMaster 5, BeoSystem 3 Type 9621

• 03-07-2008 7:51 PM In reply to

After speaking with Beo Tech back east it seems that the BV4 will always default to the Component/RGB RCA connection regards of whether it is setup up to Component or RGB in the setup menu.  So, one would require a VGA breakout cable to 5 RCA in order to hook up without having to switch the input.  At this point have ordered a Silver Serpent VGA-Breakout cable.

Other then that until I get the cable were at a stand still in terms of solving any of the other issues at hand.  Going to have the local Beo Tech come out as soon as I get a hold of him.  Will update once I know more.

Hiller

• 03-07-2008 8:30 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

This will be the issue.  The BS-1/BV-4 always want to use one particular input port, and the connection type used on that port has not been consistent, you were using the 'wrong' one.  as to the green picture, yes I've seen that too, and you need to change the PC/RGB setting on the appropriate input port.  I changed 2 sets of cables before I got that tip!

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-12-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

Hey here's the latest...

Received the Silver Serpent VGA-Breakout cable yesterday.  And believe it or not everything seems to be working find.  I can see the BS1 Service Menu now when accessed, both the DirecTV box connected through the Component inputs on top of the BS1 as well as the S-Video DVD connection to the rear are working fine as well.

Still don't have access the BeoVision 4 itself using the Panasonic Plasma remote but that's definitely a minor point at the moment seeing that everything else is working....thank God!

I was getting worried there after talking with the local B&O tech about the issue and him saying to me "I can't recall every seeing a BeoVision 4!"  I though to myself "what, are you kidding me, I can't be the first person to every have an issue with their BeoVision 4"

So, now I am going to go ahead and schedule the Code Converter Database update and get the chip set upgraded if they aren't the current version.  My local B&O store quoted me 1hr billable about $100 for the Code Converter Database update and then if i recall correctly no less then $300 for the chipset update.

Can anyone with an older BeoVision 4 post their settings for the following Menus, I would like to compare and see if my are correct or need adjusting. Other then the Panasonic not working anymore the only issue now is that it seems the Picture needs to be adjusted.  it's not quite center on the screen and while watching DirecTV, it seems that the picture goes off screen sometimes like it's too large.  I recall seeing a post at one time that listed someones settings but I can seem to find it anymore.

In the Picture Adjustment Menu under the Service Menu

Accessed via Menu Menu 0 0 Go Go

Monitor Info

06 IC1       AP SW 5.0
    14 IC707     FEP SW 2.1
    BUILD DATE   Feb 15 2005
    BUILD TIME   15:21:48

ITEM NO.     1109109
    SERIAL NO.   15368198

ERROR:
        TV     .....
        TV     .....
        TV     .....
        TV     .....
        TV     .....

ML LAST   NO

PICTURE ADJUSTMENTS

WP-R     35
    WP-G     34
    WP-B     33
    BL-R     7
    BL-G     9
    HT BL-R  1
    HT BL-G  1
    HT BL-B  1

FILM MODE     OFF
    BLUE STR      OFF
    BRIGHTNESS    36
    CONTRAST      19
    PANORAMA      ON
    COLOR SYSTEM  NTSC

A/B SWITCH    NO

PROJ./SCREEN SETUP

PROJ./SCREEN   0
    DELAY (SEC)    10
    CONTROL/DATA   560

Hiller

• 03-02-2011 5:56 PM In reply to

When the system is powered on the IR signal is sent to the BV4, it powers on and the sound fades in on the speaker but the picture is black.  If you check the status on the BV4 it shows that it came up in RGB

I have tried 555/557/560 as well as swapping the Proj./Screen and Control/Data settings, but nothing seems to work.  And putting the 555/557/560 as the Proj./Screen setting doesn't put the BV4 into Standby

hello

I have a same problem. did you fix it. can you tell me how do you fix?

and this is from manual

"Connect one end of the second cable to the
    DATA socket on BeoSystem 1, and the other
    end to the SERIAL socket on BeoVision 4."

which cable is this?

thanks

• 03-02-2011 11:34 PM In reply to

Mine are set to 0/3/558 -work beautifully!

RE: The cable... It is a single cable that is a square male USB (like on a printer) at the BS1 -to-> male serial at the BV4.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-07-2011 7:30 PM In reply to

thank you for reply

few more question?

what's name of cable? "serial to usb 'B'type (square end)".... only I can find it only "tpye A"end with serial

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=serial+to+usb&_sacat=See-All-Categories

what is cable purpose between beovision 4-50 MK I and beosystem 1?

TV and system working very well without "date cable"

watching tv, DVD.... changing sound, format,....

problem is when I use remote for turn off a TV,,,, still  "TV backlight" is on. 

beosystem1 software ver is 4.3.  do i need update? what's benefit?

is that passible  "beovision 4-50 MK I" plasma screen upgrade ? 

thanks.

• 03-08-2011 5:23 AM In reply to

kinban,

That SilverSerpant VGA breakout cable that I purchased is what final did the trick for me. Seems that the first cable I got locally wasn't configured properly for RGB output.

As for that Data cable as well as the Data port on the BS1 itself they are listed as follows in the Service Manual:

p/n #6270808  RS 232 cable (may not be the current number but your local store can use as reference)

The cable has a USB connector (Type B Plug - 4 position) on one end and the other is a RS232 port

DATA - USB connector, RS232 port

Pin1 Interlock sense, 200kohms (the port will not work unless Vpin 1 > 5.5V pr < -0.5V)

Pin 2 RS232 data out

Pin 3 RS232 data in

Pin 4 Gnd

As for the Serial port on your BV4-50 I believe it is a D-SUB 9-pin - RS-232 (D8 panel) or RS-232C (D6 panel) at least as the specification guides list them as.

Pin 1 - NC

Pin 2 - R x D Pin No.

Pin 3 - T x D

Pin 4 - Non use

Pin 5 - GND

Pin 6 - Non use

Pin 7 - Shorted to 8

Pin 8 - Shorted to 7

Pin 9 - NC

If that cable ever gets disconnected or comes out, my BV4-50 MkII will not go into STANDBY when I Turn my system off as well as not switching on BV4 if the System if off and press TV on my Beo4!  So, you not having that cable could be the reason behind your issue.

In regards to plasma screen upgrade, I recall my local B&O letting me know that the BV4s don’t have any software or firmware updates, only the systems with built-in BS3 or built-in cameras as with the BV7, 9 & 10!

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)