in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-09-2008 11:55 AM by Flappo The Grate. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-03-2008 8:41 AM

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Smile [:)] My B&O- "I still have a long way to go!" By Beocool

Next up in the "My B&O" series is Beocool from The Netherlands who definitely has the B&O bug!

If you´d like to tell your B&O story send me a PM and we´ll include in the series. 

cheers,

Kevin 

Filed under:
  • 03-03-2008 8:42 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: My B&O- "Still a long way to go" By Beocool

I discovered B&O in the 80's. Even as a small boy I already had a huge interest in design and engineering. My main focus had always been cars till that time, but I already started to develop an interest in modern art, architecture and non-automotive industrial design as well. I was 11 years old when I first saw a picture in a magazine of a Beogram 3000 (59xx). I was totally blown away by this machine. I've never seen anything that looked so stylish, so modern. It's safe to say I was immediately hooked.

I still hadn't seen any B&O product in the flesh. My parents, older brother and I lived in a small village and of course there was no B&O shop. Even in the city nearby, where my parents did most of their shopping a B&O shop was absent. But I was determined to get a catalogue. So I rang the distributor for the Netherlands and got my first catalogue when I was 13. The next year we moved to another village and this actually had a small shop where they sold B&O products. I went to the shop almost immediately after my parents moved there and saw the B&O products in the flesh for the first time. I can still remember the shopkeeper had a Beocenter 9000 that I really loved and a Beosystem 3300.

I already knew I had to have B&O in my life, but after I actually saw it and had listened to the Beocenter 9000, the will to own B&O grew stronger, but unfortunately I couldn't afford it at that age. But I really wanted B&O in my life so I tried to persuade my parents to buy B&O equipment, but they refused. Still I went to this shop every time there was a new model or catalogue and the shopkeeper really liked my enthusiasm. I left the village in 1992 when I went to the university. I was really disappointed with the B&O shop in my new hometown, so whenever I visited my parents I always went to the little B&O shop where I first saw the wonderful B&O machines.

In 1996, just after my 22nd birthday I heard that this small shop was soon to be closed. The shopkeeper had developed problems with his health and could now longer run his business. I had nearly enough money at the time for a Beocenter 9300, but he was willing to give me a discount. He really wanted a good home for the last B&O equipment he had in stock. I walked out of the shop with the Beocenter 9300, similar in design to the Beocenter 9000 I just had to have. He also gave me a B&O bottle opener. I still own the Beocenter 9300 and the bottle opener and will never part with both.

I must explain here that the Beocenter was situated in my parents' house and not in my student accommodations as I didn't want my roommates to mess with my newly acquired masterpiece. My parents must have been genuinely impressed with it, because six months after I bought my Beocenter they bought a second hand Beosystem 5500 and a Beovision LX 2500 and new Beovox CX 100 speakers. They've always thought that the brand was far too expensive, but like I said, they must have been impressed.

I started to earn money and have bought more equipment over the years, such as a Beosound 2300 with Beolab 2500's in my study, a Beocom 4 and a Beovision MX 7000 in the lounge. Right now I am saving money to replace my non B&O speakers in the lounge. After all, the Beocenter 9300 deserves this. I would like a pair of Beolab 3's or perhaps Beolab 8000's. The 8000's work really well in combination with the Beocenter 9300, but I saw the picture in the 2006/2007 catalogue of the Beolab 3's with the Beocenter 9500. Looks surprisingly good I have to say. I probably will choose Beolab 3's. Other items on my wish list include a pair of Beolab 5's (of course) a Beosound 1, a Beosound 3 and a Beosystem 6500 / 7000. I still have a long way to go! Big Smile

• 03-03-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Great story Beocool and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You really were a determined soul weren't you?Big Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-03-2008 3:21 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes, Thanks Beocool, great story.
    Each week I feel more and more guilty that I haven't sent my story to Kevin yet! Embarrassed

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-03-2008 3:32 PM In reply to

Thanks, Chris and Andy. I look forward to your stories! Yes -  thumbs up

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 03-04-2008 4:15 PM In reply to

Thanks for sharing your story BeoCool, it was interesting to read. I hope you soon aquire all of those mentioned on your wishlist!

• 03-05-2008 2:45 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Great story Beocool, I'm working on mine now...
    -Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 03-09-2008 11:55 AM In reply to

i love the classic jensen look , if i had the space and money i'd have a house full of it

it would be wonderful to have your very own bno museum methinx , maybe i'll start on one in the next few years

popgear is grate™

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)