in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-04-2008 3:34 PM by Craig. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2008 7:17 PM

secret prizes

It says in an article on the home page:

"This draw must be the best kept secret on the internet as we are already having people winning for the second time after only 10 draws!!!"

why is this?

Surely if the draw is honest it is a matter of maths and probabilities that names will win more than once at the start and less often as member numbers increase?

Isn't it always best to be transparent, or am I missing something? 

Andrew 

• 03-01-2008 7:38 PM In reply to

Re: secret prizes

apetley:

It says in an article on the home page:

"This draw must be the best kept secret on the internet as we are already having people winning for the second time after only 10 draws!!!"

why is this?

Surely if the draw is honest it is a matter of maths and probabilities that names will win more than once at the start and less often as member numbers increase?

Isn't it always best to be transparent, or am I missing something? 

Andrew 

I clearly am missing something......the ability to read properly!! Andrew
  • 03-02-2008 3:30 AM In reply to

I think the article is saying that one's chances of winning are high as there are not that many entries. For prizes as good as these, one would normally expect very little chance! You still have about a one in seventy chance of winning a prize each month so over a year that translates to nearer one in six. Of course the more people that join means that the odds lengthen slightly, but as more people join, the prizes improve.
  • 03-04-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

So that means that we have about 700 gold members?

In that case, the probability of someone not winning at all during a year is

P = (1 - (10 / 700)) ^ 12 ~= 0.84 (or of course, simply the opposite of the one in six you mention).

Calculating further, the probability of a member winning exactly twice during a year is

P = (10 / 700) ^ 2                   (two winning months)
            * (1 - (10 / 700)) ^ 10           (ten non-winning months)
            * ( 12! / ( 2! * ( 12 - 2)! )))     (the winning months can be selected in this many ways)
            ~= 0.012

...or little more than one percent. The odds for winning three times in a year would still be better than one in six thousand.

Yes, I have a boring day at work.

-mika

• 03-04-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Is Stephen Hawking in da house?Laughing

Yes that's exactly the figures I got too......... cough........ cough......Huh?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-04-2008 12:53 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Figures? What figures! All I can see is ASCII. I used to be able to draw a car using ASCII.

Actually, I did try to work out the odds too but my wife caught me staring at my fingers and counting out loud then warned me about how much it hurt last time.Surprise

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 03-04-2008 1:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I don't even get the initial question!!

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 03-04-2008 1:09 PM In reply to

Snap!!

Regards Graham

• 03-04-2008 1:41 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

What I think the OP was saying is. You would expct members to win for a second time lese and less as the draws go on. Due to the fact there are a greater number of members each draw as more people join as gold members. Hope that made sense.Laughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-04-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Is it not true the random number generator could draw the same number for all ten prizes? As I understand it, it doesn't remove the number from the draw after it has been drawn.
  • 03-04-2008 1:46 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

britops:
    Is it not true the random number generator could draw the same number for all ten prizes? As I understand it, it doesn't remove the number from the draw after it has been drawn.

That I also how I believe it works.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-04-2008 1:48 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

tournedos:

P = (1 - (10 / 700)) ^ 12 ~= 0.84 (or of course, simply the opposite of the one in six you mention).

1 - 0.84 = 0.16 ~= 1/6

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 03-04-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

britops:

Correct. the number generator is asked to draw 10 random numbers between 1 and the latest member number. It is not asked to generate unique numbers, and although i'm sure the chances are slim (i'm sure someone will come up with the odds) - i have tested the generator numerous times and it has indeed come up with the same number twice on two occasions.

Lee

Smile 

• 03-04-2008 2:45 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

9 LEE:

britops:

Correct. the number generator is asked to draw 10 random numbers between 1 and the latest member number. It is not asked to generate unique numbers, and although i'm sure the chances are slim (i'm sure someone will come up with the odds) - i have tested the generator numerous times and it has indeed come up with the same number twice on two occasions.

Lee

Smile 

Well that is how I would expect a random number generator to work. No I don't know the odds either.Laughing

CraigSmile

• 03-04-2008 2:48 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

Correct. the number generator is asked to draw 10 random numbers between 1 and the latest member number.

I hope this is implemented properly, and not like "rand() modulo 700", which would weigh the beginning of the number range Stick out tongue

(No, I'm not serious. But I once came across a vote count program, which would use an operation like the above for resolving ties. And this was in a technical university...)

-mika

-mika

• 03-04-2008 2:58 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Can't Compute.. Can't Compute.. Self Destruct !!! Geeked

• 03-04-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

9 LEE:

it has indeed come up with the same number twice on two occasions.

Lee

Smile 

Oh good, I'm about due a trip to Eastbourne!Whistle

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-04-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

9 LEE:
    Can't Compute.. Can't Compute.. Self Destruct !!! Geeked

Lee, where do you find all these pictures you attatch to your posts.LaughingLaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)