in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2008 4:54 AM by steph. 201 replies.
Page 1 of 9 (202 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2008 2:56 PM

BS5 Any news???

My dealer told me that maybe it will be launch in April or May. Anyone has any kind of information about this new and "revolutionary" BS?
    Rafa
  • 03-01-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

Re: BS5 Any news???

Delayed - probably till the autumn! Did you honestly expect anything else!
  • 03-01-2008 3:21 PM In reply to

• 03-01-2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Looking forward to this one so I am sure the wait will be worthwhile. I far rather it works as designed and we wait a little longer!
  • 03-01-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

Will we see anything of it before the release date?
  • 03-01-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

-

• 03-01-2008 7:42 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

I asked if anything new was coming soon... and my dealer (in Australia) said: Local BS5 training is currently being performed...

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 03-01-2008 11:28 PM In reply to

Same news here. The kittens tell me we'll see it August/September. They (the kittens) think that once the new version of the BeoVision 4 with the BeoLab 10 are launched, the BeoSound 5 will start to get ramped up. The kittens are fairly certain that the interface will not be yarn based.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-02-2008 2:59 AM In reply to

Ok, thanks, will be after summer, does anyone know anything about the features?
    Rafa
  • 03-02-2008 3:21 AM In reply to

What kind of great features will the Beosound 5 offer? What is so special about it?

It  is time B&O has a big hit again. Will this be the solution??

• 03-02-2008 8:48 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Bingo, you may think of it as a BeoMedia with hands-on operation. It is a product along the lines of the iPod Touch, but ment as a stationary audio system - with an interface more similar to that of the Serenata (and not the mentioned Apple product). The software will also be available in a BeoMedia 1 version, which will be uploaded automatically to current owners of the BeoMedia 1 (a product that is now discontinued, and it will later be replaced by the BeoMedia 2). It will have to work 100% from day #1, so I agree with Peter: Better to wait till it's ready for launch.

Launch could be late Fall '08.

Roger

• 03-02-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

Touch, touch..

Is that we are wating for?? I don't like touch devices. I like to feel a button. Never bought me a touchphone either.

• 03-02-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

I haven't seen it myself, but most of the kittens have and they say that it will be to digital music what the BeoSound 9000 is to CDs. They feel it will be a major success. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-02-2008 9:23 AM In reply to

I really hope it will be. Hope it wil have a normal price also :-)
  • 03-02-2008 9:35 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Bingo:

Touch, touch..

Is that we are wating for?? I don't like touch devices. I like to feel a button. Never bought me a touchphone either.

No no - as stated: it will have a user interface that has more in common with the Serenata than the iPod Touch. And the Serenata doesn't have a 100% touch screen. A wheel, similar to that found on the Serenata, will be used on this product. You saw it on the Xmas countdown quiz that B&O had going last December.

Roger

• 03-02-2008 10:17 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Dear Gang,

Just to "throw a wrench" in to this thread.  I find myself underwhelmed by the rumored features of the BS5.  As I've expressed in prior threads, I love B&O, but I want them sticking to speakers and TVs.  I find their software solutions cumbersome at best when compared to the combo of their hardware coupled with Apple software / hardware.

For instance, I've just ordered a BV8 which I'll hook to an Apple TV and then have a pair of BL3s attached to the TV.  Tell me how the BS5 will be better than this combo assuming I've put my music on the computer in "lossless" format?  I know that the BS5 will presumably have "optical out", but my BL3s don't have "optical in".  We'll be able to peruse our music library via the BV8 (with the Beo4) and have the sound come out in pristine stereo.

I know this sounds like I'm slamming the BS5 (a product that I've never seen except in that brief video clip), but my reasoning for adding my input to this thread isn't so much to "pan" the BS5 as to point out how a much cheaper solution will (in my opinion) function better than the BS5 in terms of features and future upgradability and yet deliver equally good sound.

Likewise, who do you trust to keep the software elegant and up to date, B&O or Apple?

Oh, one other thing, my much cheaper solution also allows me to watch rented and purchased movies and TV shows on my BV8.

Just my (controversial) 2 cents,

Mark 

P.S.  You might wonder why I stated B&O stick with "speakers and TVs" rather than other audio equipment.  Well, I obviously believe that physical media is going the way of the doo doo bird.  I'd be willing to invest in a BS5 if it offered more in the way of sound (i.e. if I'm wrong about some of the presumptions I'm making), particularly if it were compatible with an online, updatable audio visual media server software. 

Mark D
  • 03-02-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

I am pretty sure they have something in the back. Keep in mind that they run a dedicated group around digital media. If they come up at this point with a B&O version of Sonos.com that could not be justified.

So my expectation is, we get what Sonus has, working with link rooms plus an unknown component. Remember when they introduced the BS3200? No other brand had something like this at that point. That shows that they can move quick if they want to.

If they want to create a hit, they need to do something with content. I don't think there is anything they can do with UI that will knock people over.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-02-2008 12:34 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

I really hope that BS5 will be something extraordinary ... but it is hard to see how it will beat AppleTV, iPhone as a two-way remote etc. They will have to work very very hard. Remember you can now buy music (and movies in US) from the couch. I haven't yet been able to controll the AppleTV with Beo4 but others have. Is it even possible that a B&O-B&O solution can beat the Apple-B&O solution. I doubt it but I'd love to see it happen. I just love B&O ... even more that Apple ... and that's a lot!!

/M 

• 03-02-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

Roger:

Bingo, you may think of it as a BeoMedia with hands-on operation. It is a product along the lines of the iPod Touch, but ment as a stationary audio system - with an interface more similar to that of the Serenata (and not the mentioned Apple product). The software will also be available in a BeoMedia 1 version, which will be uploaded automatically to current owners of the BeoMedia 1 (a product that is now discontinued, and it will later be replaced by the BeoMedia 2). It will have to work 100% from day #1, so I agree with Peter: Better to wait till it's ready for launch.

Launch could be late Fall '08.

Roger

As an owner of a Beomedia 1, this is exactly the information I was hoping for.  I was really starting to think my Beomedia 1 would be really at end of life after the introduction of the Beosound 5.  B&O should release more of the specifications.  We don't have to see the design or the functionality but I would like to know if it will support AAC lossless and whether a networked hard drive be used.  I am sure there are more questions.

I am already using Apple TV take 2 and think it is really terrific especially considering the price.  Movie rentals are easy and look good at 720p.  The movie will start playing after about 2 minutes of downloading.  The complete download takes about 20 minutes which I think is good.  However, Apple had better hurry, I have already rented the 5 movies I like and 1 I didn't like.  They are going to have to load a lot more movies especially newer movies soon. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 03-02-2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

To JK,

Are you suggesting that B&O use a third party media content downloading service?  Or, maybe try implementing something akin to the Kaleidoscape system?

To Munin,

I agree.

To Linder,

I certainly like that B&O is keeping the BeoMedia 1 that you purchased up to date.  However, how will they keep software up to date when companies like Apple offer such elegant solutions that are constantly being improved.  If Apple TV / iTunes gets a more extensive film catalog and if you can eventually download "lossless" format music, do you think that the BeoMedia (even in conceivable future incarnations) will be able to top this?

To All,

I don't mean to sound "down" on B&O, I just feel that they need to devote their resources to concentrating on what they do best and leave the software solutions to companies better geared to do this.  Also, has anyone answered the crux of my previous comment (do you foresee B&O making something that at any price can do what my Apple TV / BV8 / BL3 combo can do)?

Mark 

Mark D
  • 03-02-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Mark,

This is an excellent point, but the kittens would like you to rest assured that the BeoSound 5 will be every bit the "home run" many BeoPhiles are seeking. The kittens have been looking for a multimedia device for their basket and strongly considered the AppleTV, but having seen the BeoSound 5 (again, the kittens saw it and not me), they decided that the B&O features it offers trump the AppleTV.

Essentially it will offer contextualized access to your music collection and this will develop as more and more "metadata" is collected for access. Think of how Amazon directs you to other choices based on what you're buying. Features like that will be built into the engine of the BeoSound 5. Though the iTunes music store does this, iTunes itself (and by extension AppleTV) do not. Of course it will also distribute content to link rooms (which cannot be done with AppleTV) and offer the same sculptural presence that we've seen from the very best that Bang & Olufsen has produced.

Don't get me or the kittens wrong. We're major Apple fans, but the BeoSound 5 has convinced us that the experience is still best left to the pros. 

That is all the kittens feel comfortable sharing right now. I will share more as memos are released from the basket.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-02-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

• kuliand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • nuneaton
    • Posts 43
    • Founder

Well is it to far fetched to think Apple might give B&O access to it's itunes content? I've heard several times that Steve jobs is a fan of B&O and the price point of the BS5 is unlikely to compete with the apple tv so apple can't loose.
  • 03-02-2008 2:54 PM In reply to

Can I come and laydown in your kittenbasket for a day? Then I will know a lot more :-)

MIAUW !!!!!!!!

• 03-02-2008 2:57 PM In reply to

Bingo,

You would be astonished at what these kittens know.

Trip

• 03-02-2008 3:23 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

RussR,

"rest assured that the BeoSound 5 will be every bit the "home run" many BeoPhiles are seeking"

I certainly hope you're right.  Don't let my worries about B&O create the impression that I'm not a B&O fan.  In fact, I want to be wrong and I want the BS5 to be a success (though it'll certainly poo poo the "poor man's digital stereo" that I've previously outlined / created).

"Essentially it will offer contextualized access to your music collection and this will develop as more and more "metadata" is collected for access. Think of how Amazon directs you to other choices based on what you're buying. Features like that will be built into the engine of the BeoSound 5. Though the iTunes music store does this, iTunes itself (and by extension AppleTV) do not."

I guess I'll have to wait and see what you've been privy to before rendering judgement.  However, what you're describing sounds very software driven and therefore easily implemented via my BV8 / Apple TV / BL3 set-up at less cost but with more features than the BS5.  Again, I want to be disproved.

"Of course it will also distribute content to link rooms (which cannot be done with AppleTV) and offer the same sculptural presence that we've seen from the very best that Bang & Olufsen has produced."

I don't see the "link rooms" as being an issue.  Sure, the Apple TV won't distribute content via B&O's MasterLink system, but what I'm proposing is letting Apple's software, coupled with the Apple TV and your central computer, do the same thing.  In other words, let the central computer tied to the "nodes" that each Apple TV represents do the "heavy lifting" with regard to WIRELESS distribution of audio and video.  Likewise, the central computer and it's nodes (the Apple TVs) are constantly being updated as well as being connected to a media store.  I therefore fail to see how being able to connect to "linked" rooms is a great advantage for the BS5.  Regarding the BS5's sculptural presence, that sounds cool.  The Apple TV certainly doesn't have much in the way of presence.

Mark 

Mark D
Page 1 of 9 (202 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »