in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2008 4:54 AM by steph. 201 replies.
Page 5 of 9 (202 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2008 4:52 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Re: BS5 Any news???

jk1002:

I was as very keen on the BS3200 when it came out - when I realized how one would use it I nixed it. I am hoping they get this right.

Totally agree.

Right now I am thinking of using a Touchscreen TFT (15") with a Mac Mini (due to needed VGA connection no Apple TV possible) or even use a silent PC to get a kiosk solution for the living room. Mac Mini then connected via A.AUX to the Ouverture.

I know, no remote control integration, but the kiosk character is what I need...A PSP or iTouch could be used as remote.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 04-17-2008 9:08 AM In reply to

To those who have seen the BS5... without telling too much about the design, I am wondering if it can be placed on the wall, like a BS3200 for example.

p. 

• 04-17-2008 9:11 AM In reply to

Placement should be as flexible as any existing BeoSound if not more so.

me-ow. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-17-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

without telling too much about the design

Why?!

Did the people who saw it have to swear an oath not to tell anyone else about it?!

• 04-17-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

Not an oath exactly (we're not as militant with secrecy as Apple), but at the time that most of us saw the BeoSound 5, it was not a fully formed product. In the year or so in between when it was first shown at the dealer level and the actual launch, things could change. 

The problem this poses is that once we start to really discuss it in detail, we start to build expectations which may not be realistic in one direction or another. Many details about how it actually operates are literally unknown and may not even be decided.

The best that any of us could do would be to sketch as best we can what it looks like, explain the physical operation and the corresponding action on the screen (which is not touch), and then tell you how impressed we all were. As far as exactly what its software engine can do, we aren't entirely sure, though some capabilities have been discussed publicly just not directly as "Here's what the BeoSound 5 can do." What we do know is that the BeoSound 5 is cut from whole cloth unlike the BeoMedia (which I love) which is essentially a PC with some window dressing and a nice interface.

The BeoSound 5 promises to deliver beyond the skin so to speak in ways that make sense in an organic digital music product, as opposed to the lip service that the BeoSound 3200 & BeoSound 4 pay to the digital world.

I would imagine, as I've said, that we'll know much more this summer and that very likely there will be images revealed to the public. But we'll have to wait and see.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-17-2008 2:03 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

The best that any of us could do would be to sketch as best we can what it looks like,

Go on then... 

• 04-17-2008 4:25 PM In reply to

Since hosting an image is too time consuming, I'll let you sketch it in your own head. (You know what they say about teaching a man to sketch versus giving a man a sketch)

First I need you to imagine a large magazine. Now imagine a CD. Now lay the CD halfway off the right side of the magazine. There you have it. BeoSound 5. Let the salivating begin.

• 04-17-2008 8:37 PM In reply to

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5650/bs5wheelud9.jpg

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-17-2008 8:42 PM In reply to

Well played.

• 04-18-2008 3:31 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

So,

No mechanical movements ?

Only the feel of the finger on the large wheel ?  Sad 

• 04-18-2008 5:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

i think its only a screen and the wheel. An Ipod in XXL :) Have anybody heard about a touchscreen ?

• 04-18-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

The design is like the one that Tripenglish has tried to virtually ‘sketch’.

Additionally, when you rotate the wheel, there is a ‘laser’ light that is moving - toward the song - and if I’m not wrong the color is red!

However, I’ve heard from someone who saw it that he was not impressed at all with the design…..

It was supposed to make its apparition on the American market in april 2008 but they had problems with the software ….

all sold!

• 04-18-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

11048437:

The design is like the one that Tripenglish has tried to virtually ‘sketch’.

Additionally, when you rotate the wheel, there is a ‘laser’ light that is moving - toward the song - and if I’m not wrong the color is red!

However, I’ve heard from someone who saw it that he was not impressed at all with the design…..

It was supposed to make its apparition on the American market in april 2008 but they had problems with the software ….

A good design will IMO always split opinions. It's like the BeoLab 5s - you either love them or loathe them (I'm a lover). Brilliant design...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-18-2008 6:00 PM In reply to

Wheel? Try wheels.

• 04-18-2008 7:10 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

So here is the Beosound 5 !

In fact it's an iRiver NV, released last year... Smaller than what BS5 will be... 

• 04-18-2008 8:09 PM In reply to

I don't NV iRiver owners. 

Gross. 

• 04-21-2008 11:42 PM In reply to

I think for one I would not add a second product next to my BC2. it should integrate & I do not see much need for anything beside a 2 way remote.

It is supposed to be a family of products, this was mention in the Beo5 thread and in the businessweek article as well.

This might be an interesting read for those that understand Danish.  

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~bogo/ 

I would not see myself sitting on a couch running a PC tablet type device though .... 

P.s. There were 2 people in the german forum that were told by their dealers it won't come to them 2008.

• 04-22-2008 4:23 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Big Smile I can picture the faces at B&O marketing when they read this thread. TripEnglish gave away the design and jk1002 is on to something with the link he included in his post. The question is: How mature is this within B&O with respect to the release date of the BeoSound 5? The prototype worked along the lines of the Serenata interface, but if they could take this one step further they could be on to something. If they managed to include the project outlined in the link given above... then they could take BeoLink to the next level.

Roger

• 04-22-2008 5:26 AM In reply to

Does it support FLAC/24bitt music? (see, for example linnrecords.com). It seems this is the next BIG thing among "real" audiophiles. Have to say, I imagine I hear the difference...

• 04-22-2008 10:29 AM In reply to

FLAC/24bit ? Sure. Why not.

It damn sure supports a childlike sense of wonder. 

• 04-22-2008 1:24 PM In reply to

So the Beomaster 5 could be some sort of base station to which you can hook up different clients. I could see a wall mounted unit maybe for the bath room, I could see an Apple TV like device for rooms that have a TV. Maybe a 2 way remote for ones that do not. The BS5 might just be a bigger client, maybe with additional functions to customize content navigation, i.e. create playlists or add  new internet radio stations. You might even be able to decide from there what music to stream into which room. Such a system would make much sense for hotels or big houses.

Since they showed already the BS5, it might just be that they miss the the othe rmembers of the familiy and I am not sue how much sense it would make to just launch BS5/BM5.

JK

• 04-22-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

I think in this whole discussion we may have learn more about what the Beosound 5 design is but we don't really know what it is, how it works, and its specifications.  Maybe its more like a Beomedia 1?

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-22-2008 3:42 PM In reply to

Roger:

Big Smile I can picture the faces at B&O marketing when they read this thread. TripEnglish gave away the design and jk1002 is on to something with the link he included in his post. The question is: How mature is this within B&O with respect to the release date of the BeoSound 5? The prototype worked along the lines of the Serenata interface, but if they could take this one step further they could be on to something. If they managed to include the project outlined in the link given above... then they could take BeoLink to the next level.

Roger

Well to me the linked page, looks more like Master link MKII. And a very advance remote...

• 04-22-2008 11:16 PM In reply to

http://www.interactivespaces.net/projects/project.php?projectId=9&mode=introduction

I will stop digging but this very interesting as well. It comes from the link I initially posted, it is in ENGLISH and B&O is sponsor too. There is even a video.

Can it be, that I will use the BS5 to "publish" content to my existing B&O equipment? Taking the Beo5 a level further. I.e. rather then inserting a CD into my BS9000 I would just drag&drop it from a "content drawer" to BS9000 Icon. It then starts playing on my BS9000 & I can control it with my normal Beo4 if I like. So rather then beeing a new new standalone product it may just add another level to what I have. So if I change rooms I take the BS5 with me and just throw the "digitized" CD that is playing onto my other B&O and it keeps playing. It may even figure out on his own that I changed rooms.

• 05-13-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

is this it? Wink

Page 5 of 9 (202 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »