in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-02-2007 4:03 AM by REL100. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2007 8:05 AM

• REL100
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

CD50 Not working

Hi everyone.  Just purchased a 2nd user 5500 system.  It was excellent for 2 weeks.  Now CD50 has stopped working!  Disc is accepted and appears to spin but stops and is ejected.  Can anyone offer any help please?
    Filed under:
  • 05-01-2007 8:27 AM In reply to

Re: CD50 Not working

I know this sounds silly, and probably is, but are you remembering to put the CD in label down?
  • 05-01-2007 8:37 AM In reply to

• REL100
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter,  Thanks for the thought but yes!  It was working OK initially.  Then intermitently, now not at all.
  • 05-01-2007 8:49 AM In reply to

Try another CD. My Beogram CD 6500 can be temperamental with certain newer CDs. (Particularly the hybrid ones with SACD/CD - sometimes they'll play, at other times not).

Once, when it wouldn't play a selection of CDs, I opened it up, cleaned the laser lens and had it going again no problems.

• 05-01-2007 8:53 AM In reply to

To be fair, my CD50 was temeramental for a while but never skips a beat now. I would suspect capacitors (I always do!!) but these are tricky machines as they all seem different. This is one of the few cases where I would not suggest going to a dealer as they will tell you the laser has gone. Where are you based? Maybe we can suggest someone to have a look at it for you. Worth getting fixed - I use mine regularly.
  • 05-01-2007 9:27 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Mine can be temperamental if it hasn't been used for a while. Symptoms are - not reading the beginning of first track or failing to read to disc at all. With perseverence (keep putting the disc in again and again - it can take a good while) it can be coaxed back to life but I suspect it is the onset of the "motor needs lubricating" problem which was fairly well documented (although nt easy to do) on the old site.

There are those that offer this service (Dillen being one I believe) although it depends upon your location.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-01-2007 10:19 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

As Puncher suggests, this definitely seems to be a motor problem.
    Too often the Beogram CD50 is diagnosed with a bad laser when the fault is actually lying somewhere else.

I agree that the faulty read CD's symptom indeed looks like a tired
    laser but in more than 95% of the cases, the fault turns out to be
    the spindle motor, the focus circuit or simply a matter of adjusting.
    The laser block itself is an incredibly robust build, I've discarded
    only one and it was because a previous repair attempt had
    obviously failed badly and the focus coil was mechanically damaged.

Many repairshops reject repairs to the CD50 simply because it's
    either too complicated, too time consuming, parts are no longer available or they don't have the necessary tools, test CD's, instruments, documentation etc. and that really is a shame.
    Not all people see the value of these things the way we do and we
    will have to face the fact that for your average repairshop, there's not
    much economy in putting maybe 5 or 6 hours in a repair of a 20 year old CD player.
    For the hobby repairer things look different and it can be
    both educational and a challenge.

Servicing a CD 50 is nothing like your average japanese player, the number of build versions, aftermarket modifications and upgrades
    is a complete jungle, not two are alike but in most cases
    it can be done with a good result.
    I've repaired countless of these nice players and they're worth it in my opinion.
    Most send in the complete machine which allows for a complete checkup,
    tray repair (another common issue) etc. but some send only the motor.
    The motor is of the brushless bell-anchor type and taking it apart
    is kinda tricky. The magnets inside and even the metal bell
    itself will break very easily.

Martin

• 05-01-2007 10:50 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

As this is a common problem that often crops up on the forum can we list willing repairers who can complete a full service and calibration, as outlined by Dillen above, and their location so that people can follow up and have them serviced should they wish to do so. 

A price estimate (for motor cleaning and calibration) excl. shipping etc. would also useful as a guide.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-01-2007 1:06 PM In reply to

• REL100
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Thanks everyone. What a response!  You've all been extremely helpful.  Trouble is, I live in Portugal, on the Algarve.......I know - sun, sand, sea etc......but knowledgable repair shops?  I aim to try a couple of possibles tomorrow and, with your suggestions, maybe the impossible will happen!
  • 05-01-2007 3:22 PM In reply to

I have repaired and overhauled about 20 CD50s in the past couple of years and electronic faults are rare most machines require mechanical maintenance and some adjustment. I would be happy to discuss repair options, I am based in the UK please feel free to contact me

Stuart

• 05-01-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

After 6 years of faultless and very regular use, My CD50 recently started doing the same - i.e. refusing to stay closed. I fiddled around and tried to lubricate various bits, but to no avail.

So I sold it on Ebay and got a CD5500 (again off Ebay). I feel the difference in price was probably about the same as the cost of fixing the CD50, but with the benefit of a funkier tray and all of the items matching up to read "5500". Oh, and more importantly it's noticeably a better player. Cool

I just need a new MMC cartridge now, which has just lost its mid-range for some reason. Why do these things all wear out at the same time?!

• 05-02-2007 4:03 AM In reply to

• REL100
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Hi Stuart,

If I have no luck here in Portugal I may just wait 'till I'm back in September.  Where are you in the UK?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)