in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2011 2:36 PM by tournedos. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2008 4:58 AM

Beomaster 2000 (type 2801)

Look what the nice ladies at the post office gave me yesterday:

Dunno about you people, but after watching that for some time, I'm beginning to think that it has to be one of the best looking pieces of B&O I've seen in person. Sounds pretty sweet, too! Then how come I don't see it discussed anywhere? Is it somehow rare, or held in low esteem for some reason?

-mika

• 02-26-2008 1:18 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 2000 (type 2801)

Definitely one of the best sounding amplifiers B&O ever built and an incredibly simple build at that.

It's also one of my all-time favourites but it seems to have been forgotten by many people or at least greatly overlooked. It's a beautiful receiver with a powerful sound and clearly deserves much more attention and respect than it gets. Joined by the Beomaster 2200. Not really rare though the white design version seems to be quite sought after.

Martin

• 02-26-2008 1:38 PM In reply to

I agree, lovely receiver. I suppose it is not the most space efficient design out there!
  • 02-26-2008 1:48 PM In reply to

Peter :
    I agree, lovely receiver. I suppose it is not the most space efficient design out there!

Good point there, Peter. This would be a good subject for wall installation - if it didn't weigh over 8 kg and the bottom plate wasn't light plastic!

I actually got two of these, same colour. I'll combine the better parts into this one I'll keep, and seems like the other one will work too once I replace a shorted output transistor. Too bad it is missing a few keys...

-mika

-mika

• 02-26-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

I thought the bottom plate was metal. I don't have mine with me, but I would be surprised if it was plastic. My old one will be up for grabs soon! I am dispersing my collection which is in France at present.
  • 02-26-2008 1:59 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Yep it´s plastic.

I have my white one wall mounted on a heath robinson wire arrangement just for display (at the moment). Above my Avant. Looks good.Cool 

• 02-26-2008 2:00 PM In reply to

It certainly is plastic in these. Of course, it would be possible to fabricate a wall bracket which attaches to the actual chassis or the wooden frame. I'll get to think about this if the GF approves this to the summer cottage Big Smile

-mika 

-mika

• 02-26-2008 2:06 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

There is one for sale on Ebay at the moment.

BEOMASTER 2000

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-26-2008 2:29 PM In reply to

And another one on German ebay:

Beomaster 2000

(with the "off" key missing or stuck down?) I assure you I'm not the seller of either one even though I brought this up! Laughing 

-mika

• 02-26-2008 2:45 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Looks gorgeous mate! Well done. (Do you live near Santa?Wink)

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-26-2008 2:55 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Andy T.

Oh no, Andy will be getting one of these next.LaughingLaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-26-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

Probably not near enough...but you only have 10 months left being nice until next Christmas Laughing

(and happy b'day from me too!) 

-mika 

-mika

• 02-26-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

Peter :
    I thought the bottom plate was metal. I don't have mine with me, but I would be surprised if it was plastic. My old one will be up for grabs soon! I am dispersing my collection which is in France at present.

Peter - will you let me and the rest of the forum know when you start to sell some of your items? I know from our past conversations that you have some pieces at Bellac that I would be interested in, and I'm sure some of the others here would also be seriously interested in taking care of these items in the future.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-26-2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The bottom plate is plastic but quite thick and not really as flimsy as it sounds. I've seen some wall mounted and it looked very good. It also has a little stand underneath to tilt it slightly, also a very nice feature and much better than placing it all flat in my opnion.

I parted with this white one recently, photos show it tilted:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140186176225

Martin

• 02-26-2008 4:07 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Dillen:

The bottom plate is plastic but quite thick and not really as flimsy as it sounds. I've seen some wall mounted and it looked very good. It also has a little stand underneath to tilt it slightly, also a very nice feature and much better than placing it all flat in my opnion.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140186176225

Martin

Nice pictures Martin.

CraigSmile

• 02-26-2008 4:23 PM In reply to

Dillen:

Certainly looks timeless in white - and apparently pricey, too...

Wish the one with missing keys was white. A friend of mine would be easily able to machine the keys out of block aluminum, but the black finish will be impossible to imitate correctly...

This is actually a funny example of how the engineers at B&O struggle to implement what the designers have drawn, and not the other way round as most other manufacturers do. Under the keys, there's an apparently rather stock switch bar, but only every 2 out of 3 switch positions are occupied, because the keys are so wide. So they hang on the switches by one edge, and apparently come loose and get lost.

-mika

-mika

• 02-26-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

It is better fixed to a narrow shelf up against the wall, something with a lip on the edge to stop it sliding off.
  • 02-27-2008 8:40 AM In reply to

OK, I started to fix these things. The dial lamps are blown in both, and for the life of me I can't find the spec in the service manual (the indicator lamps are there, 12V / 30mA). Since the dial lamp is part of the regulator circuit for the others, I don't want to start guessing... Calculating from the test voltages, at least 50 mA flows through it, so I guess it's not 30 mA like the others. Anybody know for sure?

-mika

-mika

• 02-27-2008 10:53 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

tournedos:

OK, I started to fix these things. The dial lamps are blown in both, and for the life of me I can't find the spec in the service manual (the indicator lamps are there, 12V / 30mA). Since the dial lamp is part of the regulator circuit for the others, I don't want to start guessing... Calculating from the test voltages, at least 50 mA flows through it, so I guess it's not 30 mA like the others. Anybody know for sure?

-mika

Pretty sure Martin will know the answer to this, he may even be able to supply the lamps for you.

CraigSmile

• 02-27-2008 11:37 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

A lamp kit is available, containing a complete set of new lamps. The kit also fixes a couple of design glitches with regards to the tuner and lamp power supplies.

Martin

• 02-27-2008 11:39 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Dillen:

A lamp kit is available, containing a complete set of new lamps. The kit also fixes a couple of design glitches with regards to the tuner and lamp power supplies.

Martin

Just as I thought.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

• 02-27-2008 1:20 PM In reply to

Dillen:

Thanks, but I think I'll try to get them locally first, as I need a pile of other stuff too, and I really want to get the chaos out of my living room floor by the weekend Big Smile You'll hear from me later in case I have trouble getting them...

Is the dial lamp closer to 14V / 80 mA or 12V / 60 mA then? I see those are available in about correct (T1 or T1-1/4) format.

-mika

-mika

• 02-27-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Mika,

Which key tops are missing ?
    I have a small stock of used parts and also some keytops.
    I am sure that I don't have the OFF key, though.
    Being the only key coming back up by itself after being pressed,
    leaving the Beomaster nice and flush when powered off, it seems to be most prone to losen and get lost.
    Maybe another button can be mounted and the lettering changed to fit if the OFF button is missing.

I don't recall the original lamp specs but they are rather critical because of the (silly) way the circuit is built. It needs to be spot on for all the lamps to work correctly and still you will see the discriminator lights only faint when tuned in on a strong station.

I do recall that the dial lamp included in the kit is quite small so that it will fit inside the glass envelope of the old dial lamp, which is impossible to remove and has white difused glass. You simply cut or twist off the protruding end of the old dial lamp, pull out the innards and fit a new lamp inside. The original lamp is a T5 glass socket.

Martin

• 02-27-2008 5:08 PM In reply to

Dillen:

Which key tops are missing ?

The keys missing in the other 2000 are OFF, FM and P1 (all black). The off key doesn't have the ridges in the bottom, so it's just a rectangular block of aluminum. A cheap plastic imitation could be easily made out of, umm, plastic (black acryl) Big Smile If I get the rest of that machine working without too much work, I'll probably be interested in spare keys.

Actually I got the old dial lamps out of both machines! The markings didn't survive completely, but I can see "OSRAM 12-15 something", so I guess a 14 V / 80 mA would be close. Although the bulb looks exactly like the indicator bulbs, their current rating of 30 mA isn't enough for the dial - I tried. Maybe the dial bulbs have already been swapped by someone else way back?

Thanks for the help. If I can't get the indicators working correctly, I'll get the right bulbs for at least the machine I'm going to keep. Or I might just chicken out and rebuild the indicator circuit with a 7812...

Does anybody know of a Youtube video showing how they installed the god d*mn dial cords at the factory? Devil Smile 

-mika 

-mika

• 03-02-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

Well, 14V / 80 mA seems to work just great as the dial bulb. It's bright enough but doesn't get too hot ("on" and "stereo" could be a little brighter; I guess the original spec for dial is 12-15 / 100 mA, which would allow a little more current to the other bulbs).

I even got the correct T5 glass socket bulbs. Unfortunately their leads were made from such material that they cannot be soldered. But since I had a bright moment for once, I bought also another set of leaded bulbs at the same time - a little different in physical size, but fit just as well.

And I managed to install one of the dial cords, but snapped the cord in the other machine, so I'll get lots of ground-up practice on those Big Smile

In the other machine, I replaced the shorted TIP146 at the power stage (along with its fuse) and the power amp seems to be working, however the receiver is completely silent since +26V is missing. I'll start debugging the power supply tonight... 

Edit: Another one done Yes -  thumbs up  A tiny tantalum cap after the first regulator stage had mogrified itself into a 25 ohm resistor, and kept the output down. After that, it needed cleaning some trimpots to get good stereo out of the tuner, cleaning of all stuck preset trimpots, and now works like a charm. The most difficult operation turned out to be replacing the cut power cord...

-mika

-mika

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >