in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2008 9:29 PM by Piaf. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2008 7:39 PM

Shipping a Beogram 8000

Hello,

I am purchasing a Beogram 8000 and would like to know if there are any special shipping instructions for this turntable (securing the platter, tonearm, etc.)?

Any help would be great!!!

Cheers,

Rob

• 02-26-2008 4:44 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Shipping a Beogram 8000

Hi Rob, welcome to BeoworldSmile

There are 3 transport screws underneath to tighten which stops the chassis moving around on its suspension.

Remove the platter and black sub platter and pack seperately outside the Beogram. If this isn't done they can become a loose weight flapping around inside the lid and wreck everything in there.

Remove the cartridge and place it in the small dedicated cut out compartment under the right hand lid and tape over it to stop it falling out.

Pack under the tonearm & tracking arm with foam/polytsyrene cut to fit and tape in place. This only needs to act as a support and shouldn't be forced/stuffed under.

Cross your fingers and pray that Postman Pat doesn't use it as a football.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-26-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

I would disagree slightly with Chris with regards to removing the cartridge due to the risk of one or more of the 4 pins that stick out of the back of the cartridge falling out of their holes and thus rendering the cartridge useless. Peter alerted me to this risk - I don't know how often it happens and therefore how big a risk it is.....but it did scare me ! 

I also wedge in a block of soft foam in the gap just to the left of the arm to stop the arm sliding over to the left.

The importance of the use of an over-sized good quality cardboard box and obscene amounts of bubble wrap cannot be over emphasised.

I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers

Nigel

• 02-26-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

Thank you gents! I appreciate your responses.  I am crossing my fingers!!!

• 02-26-2008 12:15 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

h1npw:

I would disagree slightly with Chris with regards to removing the cartridge due to the risk of one or more of the 4 pins that stick out of the back of the cartridge falling out of their holes and thus rendering the cartridge useless. Peter alerted me to this risk - I don't know how often it happens and therefore how big a risk it is.....but it did scare me ! 

Ah - I'll counter disagree with Nigel on this one.Big Smile

You're thinking of the MMC1 - 5 range of cartridge Nigel in which case you would be quite right. The Beogram 8000 takes the MMC20** range so won't have this problem as it is a spade fitting.

Of course the later Beogram 8002 takes the MMC1 - 5 type.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-26-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Rob

Don't listen to me about the cartridge - I'm talking out of my 4rse!

Cheers

NIgel 

• 02-26-2008 5:16 PM In reply to

8000 - agree with Chris

8002 - agree with Nigel!

The MMC1-5 range do suffer with loose pins and losing one renders the cartridge usually useless. So this is the one time I would suggest leaving a cartridge in place. The MMC20 range is a lot tougher though you have to be careful in this case with the end of the arm.

If you have  any way of picking the beogram up yourself, do it!

• 02-27-2008 2:16 AM In reply to

This is a cool little community you have here!  Thanks for the great responses.  Unfortuntely the 8000 has to be shipped, I wish I could pick it up.  This TT will need a bit of work to get it up and running correctly.  Who is the resident Beogram 8000 guru?

• 02-27-2008 6:54 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Digisan:

Who is the resident Beogram 8000 guru?

Most definately member Dillen (Martin) he can supply you with a capacitor kit with fitting instructions and a brand spanking new tacho disc which is vital if your original is the cellophane type, it will most certainly have started to disintigrate and will need replacing if you want it to run at the correct speed, The ones Martin sells are made from stainles steel as per the ones fitted to the later generations of Beogram 8000. I have a couple of spares for this deck myself if needs be.

I would certainly recommend upgrading your account to silver (or gold if you want entering into the beoworld monthly prize draw) to give you access to the huge range of user & service manuals on site.

Chris.

• 02-27-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

Yep Dillen is the guy.

I got rid of my Beogram 8000 as it needed a tacho disc and Dillen had not made them aviable at that time. Furthermore it was in a bad condition owerall but I know today that Dillen could have fixed it perfectly.

Anyway my next Beogram 8002 plays nearly everyday like new thank's to him and so does the rest when its fixed.

He gave me the advice to make the trip anyway from west to east which is 8,5 hours by train in total. Its worth it in the long run.

• 02-27-2008 9:47 PM In reply to

Funny you mention Dillen, I just bought a tachodisc from him on eBay!!!  I didn't know he was a member here, I'm sure I'll need some of his help in the future.

Cheers,

Rob

• 02-27-2008 9:51 PM In reply to

Oh, and I upgraded to Gold so I could download the service manual, thanks for the tip!

Rob

• 02-28-2008 6:10 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

And your financial support for Beoworld in doing so is very much appreciated by all.Smile

You will find the world of B&O is a smaller one than you ever imagined - we're all here and if we cannot help than nobody canSmile

Chris.

• 02-28-2008 7:57 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

It'll be one of the best £30 you ever spend!

Cheers

Nigel

• 03-01-2008 9:29 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Rob,

Chris is spot on in regard to shipping, however I would like to add that if you really want this Beogram 8000 to arrive in one piece, and in addition to Chris’ suggestions you should insist on double-boxing, which in my opinion makes all the difference between disaster and a safe arrival.

I received three damaged Beograms (4000, 4002, and 4004) in the recent past. The 4000 being poorly packed and arriving in pieces, literally with broken internal parts. The 4002 was shipped in its original box, but slammed upside down; the platter came loose and wrecked the formally flawless dustcover.

The Beogram 4004 was double-boxed and it too was damaged…. of a sort. The 4004 would turn on the moment the electrical plug was inserted and refused to play records. A cursory inspection located the problem, a partially dislodged internal plug. Once properly plugged it, problem solved.

Dillen most definitely is the Beogram guru here and it was a great idea to upgrade to gold, giving support to this remarkable organization.

The support that is freely available is amazing.

One member went so far as to offer me a replacement dustcover for my badly damaged Beogram 4000 at no charge. I am not mentioning names as I am not certain that this member wants “public” credit, but it was a selfless act I will never forget.

Have your 8000 double-boxed along with the rest of Chris’ instructions and you will be happy when your 8000 arrives.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)