in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-24-2008 6:16 AM by Ben. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2008 6:18 AM

Retro B and O

Friends of our have recently moved down to Cornwall and ditched a load of "stuff" on us that they didn't want to take. This stuff includes a B and O system that I think dates back to the early 80's.

We have a Beogram 1500 T5714, a Beomaster 2200 and two speakers.

It is all still in its boxes with the original packing and a sticker that indicates it was bought from Harrods. We are told that it has been in store for the last 20+ years.

On getting it out, everything seems to work but there is no stylus in the turn table. My local stockist says I have to get these from the USA and they are very expensive.

So, I have joined this forum purely to pick your brains.

Where would you guys get a stylus?

Is this old piece of kit worth keeping? Is there a market for this sort of retro stuff?

Any comments would be very much welcomed as this is a new world to me.

Cheers

Peter

• 02-22-2008 6:46 AM In reply to

Re: Retro B and O

Worth keeping? Well that depends on whether you plan to use it or not. Most B&O systems sound reasonable even when compared to modern stuff but the lack of a CD player means that you will have to add a suitable stand alone device to get full use out of it nowadays.

It's not worth much on the open market and the cost of a stylus is likely to be in the region of £100 +. Check out www.sound-smith.com who are the only manufacturers of suitable stylii/cartridges and are based in the USA.

Regards Graham

• 02-22-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

The Beomaster 2200 was a particularly fine receiver and will outperform most modern equipment - lots of power and smooth sounding. I agree with Graham that it is not worth a great deal second hand but for a vinyl fan, it is well worth keeping.

Just as a matter of interest, does the Beomaster still have the user manual with it? This is one we are missing on site!  

• 02-22-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

Welcome to Beoworld! 

B&O no longer make cartrdges. Brand new cartridges for B&O systems can only be bought from a company called Soundsmith in the USA that makes them by hand, hence they are over £100 each.

If you are planning to keep and use the kit it is a sensible investment.You can buy second hand cartridges on eBay but the risk of getting a dud is quite high.  If you are looking to sell thenn you won't get your money back so sell without the cartridge.

There is a market for B&O kit this age but not a huge one. It seems to operate almost exclusively via eBay so do some searches and you will see what you might get. 

Off the top of my head  I would say you are looking ar £30-50 for the amplifier and £20-30 for the turntable. I could make a guess at the price for the speakers if you let me know the model number from the back.

Given the relatively meagre financial rewards for selling and the fact that there are some really nice B&O products from that era I always recommend people to keep their systems and enjoy them. Add an inexpensive CD player and you have a really nice system!

Where are you based? 

Simon 

• 02-22-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I'd keep it but then again I'm also biased towards the retro stuffStick out tongue

If you are a vinyl fan then it is worth more in terms of listening pleasure than the likely resale price IMO. I agree with previous comments re:- soundsmith cartridges.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-22-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

I agree with Peter regarding the Beomaster - it sounds sublime (I have 2!)

Cheers

Nigel

• 02-22-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

Thank you to all of you that have posted replies.

I like the look of the kit so I think I will keep it, better get in the loft and see if my records are beyond redemption or not.

In answer to your specific questions, no there is no manual in the boxes we have, and we live near Milton Keynes.

Kind regards

Peter

• 02-22-2008 1:00 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

I have a good MMC20S cartridge that you can have for the cost of a couple of drinks if you're interested. I believe that this was the cartridge originally supplied with the Beogram 1500.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 02-22-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

ben12345:

I have a good MMC20S cartridge that you can have for the cost of a couple of drinks if you're interested. I believe that this was the cartridge originally supplied with the Beogram 1500.

Cheers,

Ben.

Yes, the MMC20S was the original cartridge for the Beogram 1500. Nice turntable I used to have one. Also had a Beocenter 4600 which used the internals.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-22-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

ben12345:

Cheers,

Ben.

Now that's an offer you can't refuse.Beer

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-24-2008 5:08 AM In reply to

Hi Ben,

how do we get in touch please?

Peter

peter.hurley@aspleyifa.co.uk

• 02-24-2008 6:16 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Hi Peter,

Please check your junk mail/spam folder..... I replied to your email last night.

Thanks,

Ben.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)