in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2008 6:36 PM by anampersand. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2008 10:22 PM

Beogram 5500, Fine Tuning?

Guess what?!  I JUST completed my Beosystem 5500.  Got my Beogram 5500 turntable tonight, and have been playing the Neutral Milk Hotel record (fantastic sounding on vinyl, if you haven't heard it).  

Anyway, messing around with the MCP, I hit Step Forward and it steps a few minutes ahead, but I'm finding it very troublesome to start a song at it's beginning.  Is there a way to do this with these tangential tables, that is, to start a song at the beginning, like how you'd place the tone arm on a radial table?  

It plays wonderfully, the MMC-2 sounds fantastic, and I have NO gripes on this -- I'm just wondering how to enjoy it right!  I've never had a tangential table, and I have no clue how to do the whole "remote-changes-the-track-thing" on a turntable.

Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks again!

-Aaron 

• 02-22-2008 2:37 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 5500, Fine Tuning?

Press stop then use the << >> button to track to where you want then press play.

To be honest the track skip function on these decks isn't very good. You may as well use the buttons on the deck as you'd need to be close to the record to see the set down point in any case.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-22-2008 2:43 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

The short answer is .... No!

The Control of the tangential arm from the MCP is just as you've found.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-22-2008 2:36 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

To be honest the track skip function on these decks isn't very good. You may as well use the buttons on the deck as you'd need to be close to the record to see the set down point in any case.

This is something I've been thinking about. If the vinyl had prevailed until now, it would be so easy to make a real track search function. Fit a small CCD camera in the detector arm, and it wouldn't be too hard to "see" the smooth sections between the tracks... and this would've been very much like the usual gimmicks B&O has been known to implement!

-mika

-mika

• 02-22-2008 2:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I had a Kenwood system with a tangental deck some years back which was supposed to track the smooth sections of the vinyl to skip tracks but it never really worked properly as it saw parts of tracks where the recording levels were quite subtle.

It was quite a nice system actually (top of the range at the time) until I lent it to my teenage nephew for a party, hence the onset of my beobug when I sought a replacement system so in the end it all worked out well.Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-22-2008 6:36 PM In reply to

Thanks guys.  I swore I was missing something easy with using that remote.

But you're right: it's more convenient anyway just to control it from the deck.

Thanks again! 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)