in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2008 5:42 AM by joeyboygolf. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2008 3:57 PM

Beocenter 9300 CD problems

I've just inherited a 9300 with a problem CD player, when press play the CD draw just re-opens, it seems that the disc doesn't even spin. Having searched the site I found one reference to a problem with the servo PCB on these models which is a fairly easy fix. Can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks 

• 02-19-2008 4:52 PM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 9300 CD problems

I am not electrical genius, but apparently there is a capacitor that fails on the servo PCB. This can often be the problem. If you take it to B&O, they will tell you the laser needs replacing. How good are you electrically? If good, ask on the Workbench - the techies hang out down there!! Laughing

If as useless as me, we might suggest someone helpful to fix it! Where do you live? 

• 02-19-2008 5:02 PM In reply to

Try the easy stuff first though - how clean is the lens on the laser? I use a cotton bud moistened with distilled water to wipe mine clean, though there are are proper cleaning fluids for this job (also good for the tape heads.) One advantage of this sort of CD is that the lens is at least easy to get at.

Cheers, Steve

• 02-19-2008 5:37 PM In reply to

Thank you both, I will try the workbench for details of the capacitor, since I have a fair amount of experience of soldering... I tried cleaning the laser head, but no joy, I am sure that the disc is not rotating. 
  • 02-19-2008 5:45 PM In reply to

Sorry Peter, I meant to say, I'm in London, so there should be some chance of finding a repair shop. You seem to know quite a bit about the problem for a non techie, have you experienced this yourself?
  • 02-19-2008 6:08 PM In reply to

Assuming you have a 9300 with a radial laser then the normal culprit is C2815 which should be 33microfarads. Much less than this and you will have problems. The servo pcb is pcb 8 situated underneath the cd mech.

Regards Graham

• 02-19-2008 6:15 PM In reply to

Told you someone clever would come along! Laughing
  • 02-19-2008 6:16 PM In reply to

Thanks for that detailed answer, I should be able to track that down, would I be looking at a straight slot for the laser head, or an arc, I have a simple straight slot, I guess that's radial right?
  • 02-20-2008 3:15 AM In reply to

No, that's linear. I don't have details of that servo board. May be the same. See my answer in the Technical section.

Regards Graham

• 02-20-2008 7:57 AM In reply to

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what and were the workbench is?

Kevin

• 02-20-2008 8:42 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

kevinoils:

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what and were the workbench is?

Kevin

At the bottom of the forums page 2 below the beogram section Kevin. I KNOW you know where that isBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-20-2008 12:10 PM In reply to

Thanks again Graham, I have sent a message to Tim Jarman, are the linear decks unusual?
  • 02-20-2008 12:25 PM In reply to

Not unusual, rather they are the latest version as fitted to newer B&O products such as Ouverture and it's derivatives. I have little experience and no circuit diagram and I have not come across a faulty one as yet! They were fitted to the very last 9300's made.

I am sure Tim will have the knowledge.

Regards Graham

• 02-20-2008 6:34 PM In reply to

Well that's kind of good news, if they are relatively recent, there should be no problem getting the parts.
  • 02-22-2008 4:49 AM In reply to

I have heard from Tim who recommended a B&O dealer, so I contacted the local service centre, they confirmed that it is the overture cd mech, and they will normally replace them in this case. Sadly they do not sell spare parts, is there any way to obtain spares from another source?
  • 02-22-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

Sadly, although you have a later linear laser mech (CDM Pro) even the replacement for that has been superceded by Philips who are the manufacturers of the mechanism.

B&O have developed an upgrade kit which allows the later CDM Pro II mechanism to be fitted. Unfortunately it is not a straight swap of the mechanism but involves fitting a modified CD interface pcb and some soldering.

Instructions are provided in the kit, which I managed to successfully install. As I recall, the kit cost around £100 which I thought was relatively cheap. I would guess that it took me around 2 hours to fit so the total cost of repair by a service centre should not be prohibitive.

I suggest that you get quotes from dealers now that you are armed with this info. The part number for the kit is 8420016.

Alternatively you could try other dealers who may well order this kit for you to fit yourself although they are discouraged from doing so by B&O.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)