in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2008 2:27 PM by Alex. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2008 10:16 AM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Connecting a B&W PV1 subwoofer to a PowerLink socket

Dear all,

Sorry, newbie question again Embarrassed

The B&W PV1 subwoofer has a Line input, which is supposed to be connected to a dedicated line-level subwoofer output.

So... which sort of cable should I use to connect my B&O audio master's second PowerLink socket (the first one is connected to a pair of BL8000s) to the PV1's Line input, taking into consideration that the resulting Line signal should mix both left and right signals to feed the PV1 with?

Thanks a lot to the technical guys here who know the answer.

Kind regards, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-18-2008 10:22 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: Connecting a B&W PV1 subwoofer to a PowerLink socket

It´s in Danish, but maybe the picture will help you.

Link.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-18-2008 10:26 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Thank you, Daniel.

I am not sure I understand the picture: it seems there are three connections going to the sub, but the PV1 has only one?

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-18-2008 11:47 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

That picture only shows a powerlink T-adapter which turns a single powerlink connection into two (for example, connecting a pair of BeoLab 8000s to a B&O system which only has a single powerlink output).

It's not the easiest thing in the world to do. You need to wire up a cable which adapts from powerlink to two phono (RCA) connections.

I'd recommend you take the wiring diagram seen below to an electrician or audio service store (most hifi stores or B&O dealerships should have some facility to do this, or at least point you in the right direction).

Wiring Diagram

You an click the image to go directly to it, where you should be able to go File > Print.

Just let the people doing the work that you want a cable with that plug on one end and two phono (RCA) plugs on the other end to connect into a subwoofer.

B&O do produce some 'PowerLink to Line' adapters which are almost correct, but actually will only carry the left hand signal (I believe, although it may only be the right) so the subwoofer will only end up reproducing one of the channels...

Hope this helps! It's not the easiest thing in the world to do if you don't have any experience with wiring (which I'm assuming you don't).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-18-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

Easiest way is to connect a 5 PIN DIN plug to 4 Phono plugs into the powerlink socket and connect the sub to the two phono plugs with a signal - I learnt this a while ago when I bought a Beolink Active kit and connected an amp and speakers to teh powerlink socket as an interim measure until I could afford some Active Speakers.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 02-18-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

Surely all you need is the pin 3 and 5 output going to the positive and the pin 2 output going to the negative. Fairly ropey collections of connections and interesting there is no output thus your other speakers will still be dealing with full frequencies.
  • 02-18-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Looking at the wiring diagrams next to each other more closely, it looks as though you could just use a 5-pin DIN audio > phono (RCA) cable, and connect the 'Audio IN' connection to the Subwoofer instead of the 'Audio OUT' connection.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-18-2008 12:07 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Thank you for your replies. You all talk about conversion from powerlink to two phono (RCA) connections BUT the PV1 has only one single Line input, so I am not any further with two RCAs...

How can I get left + right from PowerLink into one single Line connector???

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-18-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

As I said, connect both output wires to the positive and the pin 2 output (common ground) to the negative. One channel combined.
  • 02-18-2008 12:34 PM In reply to

js,

I have been looking at this very point and whilst I don't know the answer I have a suggestion which Peter or Alex could shoot down. If you don't want to have the hassle of soldering etc then I would suggest a 5pin to 4 Phono leads (as suggested by Alex) and a two female to one male phono connector available from Maplin.

If I am right  this should work but don't do it until someone more technical that I authenticates it. Over to you Peter/Alex.

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 02-18-2008 1:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It *should* work, although as I said, rather than use the 'output' connections at the end of the DIN > RCA cable (which is what you would expect to use), you would have to use the 'input' connections.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-18-2008 1:41 PM In reply to

Why do you even want both signals going to the sub?? Just use the left or right...or buy 2 subs and drive both...

Some subs have dual (2) voice coils and will take both L and R...but just use a cheap $15 USD adapter off ebay from Powerlink to 2 RCA's and drive the sub. We did 2 subs and it was too much for anything but movies...even then we would switch off 1 sub at times...

good luck ...

• 02-18-2008 2:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Frank Rizzo:

Why do you even want both signals going to the sub?? Just use the left or right...or buy 2 subs and drive both...

Some subs have dual (2) voice coils and will take both L and R...but just use a cheap $15 USD adapter off ebay from Powerlink to 2 RCA's and drive the sub. We did 2 subs and it was too much for anything but movies...even then we would switch off 1 sub at times...

good luck ...

Because otherwise the subwoofer is only reproducing the bass found on one of the channels, not on both as it should?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-19-2008 3:35 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Thank you all. I will try and report.

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-19-2008 5:53 AM In reply to

can I also ask a newbie question here, in speaker type menu, when you connectPV1, do you still pick beolab 2 as the speaker connected??
  • 02-19-2008 11:45 AM In reply to

I was not aware that BnO's subwoofer took both channels. I really don't see the need for bass in stereo. Most bass tracks are laid down on both channels and mono. You can't hear the difference, except in very few songs where they may change channels...

• 02-19-2008 12:23 PM In reply to

The Beolab 2 does take both and also applies a filter so that the lower frequencies are not passed to any attached speakers. A big advantage with some of the column speakers. If used in a home cinema set up, I would set the system up with just the LFE going to the PV1 and, yes, set up as one would with the BL2.
  • 02-19-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

Hi Peter...so is the BV2 a "dual voice coil" speaker?? or is it just a single with both channels represented?? thanks..
  • 02-19-2008 11:00 PM In reply to

Hi, in a video setup, you can buy a phono line-Powerlink adapter of the type that goes with BeoLab 3/9/4, it works both ways!

Connect the Powerlink plug to the back of your TV, and the phono plug to your subwoofer, you'll get both left & right channels on your sub, I do this with my B&W subwoofer that is connected to my BV3.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-20-2008 5:14 AM In reply to

Frank Rizzo:
    Hi Peter...so is the BV2 a "dual voice coil" speaker?? or is it just a single with both channels represented?? thanks..

Pretty sure it is single coil but here is the block diagram showing you what it does.

• 02-21-2008 6:50 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Peter :
    Surely all you need is the pin 3 and 5 output going to the positive and the pin 2 output going to the negative.

Thus, Peter, do you mean that I just have to solder both left and right output wires together to combine both channels? Is it really as simple as that? No collateral issue?

Peter :
    interesting there is no output thus your other speakers will still be dealing with full frequencies.

You are right, Peter, and this is the reason why I am still hesitating between BL2 (filters the lower frequencies, thus enables the BL8000 to sound better) and PV1 (is faster and more musical).

Now, when using the PV1, the ideal solution would be to have an active filter between the audio master and the BL8000 in order to filter the lower frequencies, like a BL2 would do. But does such stand-alone active filter exit? That would be VERY interesting to find out. Anyone?

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-22-2008 12:13 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

js:

Peter :
    Surely all you need is the pin 3 and 5 output going to the positive and the pin 2 output going to the negative.

Thus, Peter, do you mean that I just have to solder both left and right output wires together to combine both channels? Is it really as simple as that? No collateral issue?

Peter :
    interesting there is no output thus your other speakers will still be dealing with full frequencies.

You are right, Peter, and this is the reason why I am still hesitating between BL2 (filters the lower frequencies, thus enables the BL8000 to sound better) and PV1 (is faster and more musical).

Now, when using the PV1, the ideal solution would be to have an active filter between the audio master and the BL8000 in order to filter the lower frequencies, like a BL2 would do. But does such stand-alone active filter exit? That would be VERY interesting to find out. Anyone?

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

Anyone, please?

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-22-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

I really don't see why that should not work.

I am sure that you can get an active filter - but I have no idea of the cost. If you do a google search, it lists a number of options. 

• 02-22-2008 2:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Behringer do a professional class crossover called the CX3400, which works very well. Can't say I've come across any 'consumer' crossovers, the CX3400 would do the job, but you'd need the correct cables made up (it uses XLR connections).

The older ones don't sound too good (quite 'brittle') but the latest ones (which must have different components) sound different, for the better!

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)