in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-19-2008 7:09 AM by beologisch. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2008 8:02 AM

My Avant is dying - what is next?

So it seems like the tube in my Avant 32 VCR is dying and I need to decide what is next. My current setup includes the Avant 32 VCR connected to a pair of BL8000 speakers and a BS9000 (upgraded to N.MUSIC - but I have not used that yet). I have a Freeview box connected through the set top box controller as well as a Xbox 360 (also used for DVD playback) and a Wii connected. In a separate room I have a BL3500 connected through BeoLink. 

I love the concept of one remote and that I can listen to and control music from other rooms. However I'm also keen to take advance of all my digital media and potentially move on to HD TV (although this does have to be right away)   

I'm not sure which of the following options to go for. Perhaps you have an idea or some input.

1. Keep the current setup and replace the tube of my Avant - which will cost around £700 - and perhaps add BeoLink PC2
    2. Replace the Avant with a non-B&O LCD TV, reuse speakers etc, and use Lintronic to have a nice setup with only one remote etc.
    3. Sell it all and create a new non-B&O setup embracing digital media and HD.

I cannot afford a B&O LCD so that is unfortunately not an option for me.

Any ideas or feedback is most welcome.

Regards, Torben

• 02-18-2008 8:40 AM In reply to

Re: My Avant is dying - what is next?

2 all the way. I love B&O but I have no intentions (or the ability) to afford one of their TVs anytime soon.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-18-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

IMHO have your Avant repaired: probably one of the best TVs ever (at least the Real Flat versions). I think the picture quality of LCD screens does not match the Avant's, but this may be personal preference.
  • 02-18-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

Just buy another avant! Far cheaper than a new tube
  • 02-18-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

I would say that you have three possible options:

• Buy another Avant from B&O or Ebay. However, if you do this, you could have the same problem in a few years or less and thus over time - lets say you spend £500 on a preowned Avant you wiould have had enough money to buy a relatively OK LCD/Plasma.
    • Get your Avant repaired - if you do this you know that your Avant will last for a good few years more. You have probably looked after it and thus any other repairs will not be anywhere near as costly to sort out. This seems expensive. However for the same money you will be able to buy a 50" LCD perhaps.However it will not be in the same league as your Avant. I opted to spend £500 on an Avant rather than £1200 on a new Pioneer plasma panel and it was one of the best decisions I made. I n my opinion, unless you are going to spend over 2k on a plasma you will not be able to compare it favourably to an Avant.
    • Buy a Beovision 3 - as VHS has now died a death and you have your Xbox360 to play DVDs an Avant with inbuilt DVD does not seem to be your top priority. Although the same tube issues apply, these are cheaper than Avants on Ebay and look more modern - almost like an LCD or plasma. They can also be bought with the optional extras of STB controler, Prologic board and anti-glare.

Other people may disagree but if you do not want to spend loads or in my opinion waste the same amount of money as you would spend on replacing your tube, do not buy a sub £1000 plasma or LCD.

Hope this helps

Graham

• 02-18-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Buying a BeoVision 3 seems like a sensible idea to me, but try and get a recent one (not one of the first). The tube should last much longer.

The BeoVision 3 has an Avant chassis, so they are essentially the same set inside (although the speakers are evidently different, as is the lack of a VCR/DVD player built in).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-18-2008 12:16 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Alex:

The BeoVision 3 has an Avant chassis

Only on the 32", although as you have a 32" Avant I can't see you wanting a smaller screen.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-18-2008 12:20 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Craig:
    Alex:

Only on the 32", although as you have a 32" Avant I can't see you wanting a smaller screen.

CraigSmile

True, although the chassis in the 28" (which I believe was originally from the BeoVision 1) is also very capable.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-18-2008 12:44 PM In reply to

Alex:
    Craig:
    Alex:

CraigSmile

True, although the chassis in the 28" (which I believe was originally from the BeoVision 1) is also very capable.

err...hang on. The 28" Avant and the 28" BV3 don't share the same chassis. The 28" BV3 gets its chassis from one of the larger MXs, and I've heard it said here that the 32" BV3 (with its Avant underpinnings) is superior to the 28" (with its MX underpinnings). My 28" 100Hz Avant RF is certainly a great set, though I've not seen the picture on a 28" BV3... 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-18-2008 2:09 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Torben, Just get another Avant. You will easily get one for less than a £700 tube replacement.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-18-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

People, correct me if i'm wrong but i think some people mix up the tube issues with the Avants:

as far as i know there's quite a risk with the tube going bad only with the older 50Hz type and the early 100 Hz type (the 'round' tubes), not at all with the RF versions !!
    And even from these older versions, the bad tubes mostly seem to be supplied around 1998-2000 so with Avants a bit out of this range the risk is already less.
    Hence, also the BV3 with RF tube isn't a risky buy because of the tube.

Also about the chassis of the BV3: as far as i know only the oldest 28" versions have the 50Hz chassis (possibly from the MX range) but the later and any 32" are all 100Hz thus Avant technology.

Torben, you don't mention which Avant you have (so it's hard to tell if the repair is worth it, but usually because it's around 1998 - 2000 models it isn't worth it...) but the argument not to buy an Avant RF or BV3 shouldn't be the fear of a bad tube, in fact i've never heard of 'known issues' with the RF tubes of the Avant RF and BV3.
    If you would prefer to buy a CRT tv i think still the Avant / BV3 is simply the best ever to find on this planet.
  • 02-18-2008 8:46 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Buy the tube, see if they will upgrade the software and STB-C at the same time (refresh). The TV can be sold later to minimise costs and it will be looked apon favourably by potential purchasers with a new tube. If you buy another you may be asking the same question in 6months time. 

Just my thoughts.

Beoaus.

• 02-18-2008 9:04 PM In reply to

If you are not after the latest HDMi toys I would have the tube as well. I have the BS9000, there is nothing in the world that makes me wanna part with that. The latest mediacenter/pc/apple will only keep my attention for 6 month. Somehow the B&O products I appreciate much longer.

So either Tube or an LCD would be my choice.  For 700 you probably get something reasonable.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-19-2008 3:57 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:
    Alex:
    Craig:
    Alex:

CraigSmile

err...hang on. The 28" Avant and the 28" BV3 don't share the same chassis. The 28" BV3 gets its chassis from one of the larger MXs, and I've heard it said here that the 32" BV3 (with its Avant underpinnings) is superior to the 28" (with its MX underpinnings). My 28" 100Hz Avant RF is certainly a great set, though I've not seen the picture on a 28" BV3... 

That's what I was saying, I just didn't make it very clear.

I thought though that the BV3-28" used a chassis which was originally developed for the BV1 though, not the MX?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-19-2008 4:28 AM In reply to

Alex:
    j0hnbarker:
    Alex:
    Craig:
    Alex:

CraigSmile

That's what I was saying, I just didn't make it very clear.

I thought though that the BV3-28" used a chassis which was originally developed for the BV1 though, not the MX?

Fair enough Alex. I think the BV1 chassis was straight from the MX series though?

• 02-19-2008 5:45 AM In reply to

Hi all:

Correct me if I am wrong but with regard to tubes the following should be considered:

The tubes in the older Avants were the ones that were dodgy and most were replaced under guarantee or would have broken by now in any case and have been changed. However, allthough it can be said that these tubes are probably out of the market place, all television tubes will fail at some point after prolonged use, whether it is in a 15" Alba or a 32" Avant. Thus I still think my point is valid in as much that if you buy a second hand TV of about the same age, at some point in the not too distant future, the tube is likely to fail. Thus surely it would be better to buy a modern second life TV such as a Beovision 3. Or, remove the risk altogether by putting a new tube in the Avant?

Another issue to be considered is that as VHS becomes (if it hasn't already) out dated the price of a VHS Avant will fall. This might be a massive outlay but if you like the Avant range, why not buy a DVD Avant (again as late a model as possible) and repiar your current Avant when you have the spare cash and use it in another room. If not, you could always sell it repaired as described in a previous reply and offset this against the cost of the DVD Avant.

Hope this is not complete waffle

• 02-19-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

Not so sure I agree with everything you're saying Graham. I think the prices of curved VHS Avants will continue to fall, but I expect that RF VHS Avants will plateau in the short-term as people realise that a belting TV can be had for £500. There are enough SCART sockets on the back to hook up your PS2/3 or DVD player to. Besides, there's the Avant CTV RF (minus the VHS), and I don't see prices for these falling through the floor, and what's a VHS Avant RF if it's not an Avant CTV RF minus the video recorder!

If you're savvy, just look for a RF DVD or VHS Avant and check the service counter to see how much use the tube has had.

• 02-19-2008 6:48 AM In reply to

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and feedback. The Avant I have today is about 10 years old and is not the RF version so you are probably right that it is not worth replacing the tube. I'll look out for a used Avant 32 RF or a BV3.
  • 02-19-2008 7:09 AM In reply to

torbena:
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and feedback. The Avant I have today is about 10 years old and is not the RF version so you are probably right that it is not worth replacing the tube. I'll look out for a used Avant 32 FR or a BV3.

that's a very wise decision indeed - imho................Yes -  thumbs up

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)