in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-19-2008 4:02 PM by sajpratty. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2008 7:32 PM

Beovox P30's

I'll never learn - how was I to know nobody else would bid? Anyway, it's not a financial disaster

Initial inspection shows:
    Woofers - one shows about one ohm resistance and blips when I measure it, the other shows zero ohms and is stony silent when I measure it.
    Tweeters - same story, different cabinets (ie one cab has an iffy woofer, the other has an iffy tweeter.)
    Crossovers - charred wadding around, if the cabs had been vented there would have been some smoke.
    Cosmetics - after a good cleanup and some teak oil, actually rather nice and way too good to give up on.
    My guess is that someone got over enthusiastic with the volume knob in the past. I don't feel inclined to risk an amplifier by plugging these in yet. And I've no complaint about the vendor, who 'fessed up front that the tweeters might be goners too.

Woofers I'm not so concerned about, I saw Martin had some in stock not so long ago and they're only Philips items that can fall apart anyway. Tweeters I'm a tad more disappointed about, apparently they were nice SEAS items. Crossover capacitors and resistors shouldn't be too much hassle I'd have thought, been there done that.

So there they are. What I'm wondering is do I need one woofer and one tweeter or play safe with pairs? What sort of resistance should I have seen across the drive units?

Many thanks in advance,
    Steve
  • 02-18-2008 3:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beovox P30's

Hi Steve,

These are nice speakers. I love the sound of the P series but they need to be wallmounted to do their best.

The DC resistance measured across each driver should be lower than the impedance but not a lot. I would expect any beep'er to beep when put across any resistance lower than apprx 10-20 Ohms.

Put a 10 Ohm resistor (or a known good woofer) in series with a woofer to test it. Put a 22uF bipolar capacitor into the series to test tweeters. 

Drivers are no problem. I have good used woofers and tweeters in stock and I may also have crossovers or components, 

Martin

• 02-18-2008 4:17 PM In reply to

Hi Martin,

Wallmounting was my intention all along, and I wanted teak to match the rest of my stuff.  Very many thanks, this is sounding most promising. I shall be testing the individual bits out as you advise, though my first inspections tell me I might need the full kit. Too much black crusty stuff on the crossovers to read all the component values, but at least the manual has the circuit diagram for them so I'm not lost.

I think you can expect a PM before too long Smile

Steve 

• 02-18-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Very nice speakers, I aquired an absolute mint pair in the original box. When I brought some stuff of Ebay a while back. They sold for over £70 when I listed them properly. Only had a quick play with them, but they sounded great with my BM1000. That was with them on the floor too.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-18-2008 6:17 PM In reply to

Just out of curiousity: you state the woofers are Philips and tweeters Seas, you're sure about this ?
    Because i had 2 pairs of P45's and all units were Seas, and from the same era S45.2's have Seas woofers and Philips tweeters....
    And they do sounds different !!, so it's not like 'well, whatever we have in stock', but it's funny/interesting to see this mix....:)
    btw, if you keep your volume a bit modest you won't ruin an amp just trying them out, who knows: if you're lucky only the filters are 'grilled' ??:)
  • 02-18-2008 7:01 PM In reply to

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting them sorted. I'm planning on having them with a BM1001 - the bedroom stereo. Currently got BV1001's on it but I'm not overly impressed by them so they'll be demoted to ambient duty. Walls are they only places the speakers will fit into that room.

Cheers, Steve

• 02-18-2008 7:08 PM In reply to

ipaul:
    Just out of curiousity: you state the woofers are Philips and tweeters Seas, you're sure about this ?
    Because i had 2 pairs of P45's and all units were Seas, and from the same era S45.2's have Seas woofers and Philips tweeters....
    And they do sounds different !!, so it's not like 'well, whatever we have in stock', but it's funny/interesting to see this mix....:)
    btw, if you keep your volume a bit modest you won't ruin an amp just trying them out, who knows: if you're lucky only the filters are 'grilled' ??:)

Well, I was just going by what BeoCentral had to say about them

Fingers crossed on the drive units, but I'm thinking I'll be lucky if I get to keep one tweeter and one woofer. Still, after a 50 pence outlay so far I have plenty of budget to spent before things get silly Smile 

Cheers, Steve 

• 02-19-2008 3:36 AM In reply to

You could always just buy these and keepthe others for spares....

P30 on Ebay

Simon

• 02-19-2008 8:41 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

wirralsimon:

You could always just buy these and keep the others for spares....

P30 on Ebay

Simon

Well you could but you'll be bidding against me and I've put a £6000 opening bid on them - honestEmbarrassed

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-19-2008 3:15 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    wirralsimon:

P30 on Ebay

Simon

Well you could but you'll be bidding against me and I've put a £6000 opening bid on them - honestEmbarrassed

Chris.

Thanks, yes I saw them  but recognised the bidder so decided to pass. Smile

Lets' hope nobody reads this and bids £5999 Devil

Cheers, Steve

• 02-19-2008 3:41 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

sajpratty:
    Medogsfat:
    wirralsimon:

P30 on Ebay

Simon

Chris.

Cheers, Steve

LaughingLaughing

Feel free to bid Steve,

you will have more use of them than me, I'm only speculating at £1 really.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-19-2008 4:02 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    sajpratty:
    Medogsfat:
    wirralsimon:

P30 on Ebay

Simon

Chris.

Cheers, Steve

LaughingLaughing

Feel free to bid Steve,

you will have more use of them than me, I'm only speculating at £1 really.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, but now I know that Martin has tweeters and woofers in stock I feel confident I can get my current pair fixed.

It's true that I'll get use out of them though - currently enjoying Classic FM on a £10 white-key Beomaster 1000 that only needed minor repairs, thru the Beovox  1200's I rebuilt the crossovers for. Sounds lush! Smile

Cheers, Steve 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)