in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-21-2007 1:55 AM by Dillen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2007 9:10 AM

refoaming, its so easy an idiot can do it. i am the living proof.

if you have worn out foam surrounds dont dispair, just do it yourself. i have a lovely pair of s80.2s and i (woefully incompetent at pretty much anything practical) did it myself. six screws releases the front cover, then un screw the four retaining clamps holding bass driver in place. pull off the spade connectors to the driver, and out comes the speaker. carefully remove old foam and glue (white spirit for the outer ring) then glue new surround into place (best to use slow drying glue) and leave to dry over night. put back into place, replace and tighten up the clamps, re connect the spade connectors to driver, and replace front cover. £15 for a pair of surrounds, and a little time, care and patience.is all it needs.the result; totally worth it
  • 04-30-2007 9:16 AM In reply to

Re: refoaming, its so easy an idiot can do it. i am the living proof.

Well done. Have you replaced the capacitors in the S80? Well worth doing as well and you will have an extremely fine pair of speakers! Now you have shown yourself so competent, I am confident that you can do it!
  • 04-30-2007 10:06 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The Beovox S80 woofer is very friendly when it comes to refoam'ing so you may end up with a good result but I can assure you that the method you describe won't be adequate for many other types of woofers, Redline 140 springs to mind, where tolerances are extremely tight.

Always, and I do mean always re-shim the coil and fixate it while the foam sets. If you don't chances are that the coil will start rubbing against the magnet and eventually destroy the speaker beyond repair. Incorrect mounting, skew, offset or uneven load on the spider, even of the tiniest amount won't correct itself, it will only get worse as the stressed part(s) wear and give.

It's a great speaker and definitely worth restoring.

Oh, and do check the solders at the PCB where the spade connectors are mounted, they tend to break. Use solder with a hint of silver in it, it will be the best thing to use in this vibrating environment.

Martin

• 08-19-2007 7:15 PM In reply to

Hi Dillen,

I'd love to have a "play by play" on re-foaming RL 140's....

I"m interested in buying a pair of these and due to age i'm sure they'll need this..

THanks,

K

• 08-21-2007 1:55 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, they probably will need refoam'ing. I feel safe to say that all RL140's will need it by now.

All B&O woofers are welcome here for repair.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)