in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-24-2008 3:55 PM by joeyboygolf. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2008 3:36 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Yes -  thumbs up [Y] BeoWorld Improvements

Hello Everyone!

As you all know, we ran a thread asking for suggestions about how to improve BeoWorld - both the main site and on the Forums.  We of course took all these proposals to Firebrand to see what we could do - and i will now try and highlight what we can do.  Whilst we would love to implement each and every suggestion, some are either unworkable due to forum software limitations (we don't write the forum software) or are too costly to implement in relation to the benefits received.  However, between Van at Firebrand and the moderating team and myself - i hope we have addressed at least a few key issues.

Please take the time to read through what we intend to do, as there are further questions we would like to put to members.  We have always promised to constantly improve BeoWorld for you, and hopefully some of these points will go some way to fulfilling this.

I will now highlight the issues in bold and explain any intended solutions and/or actions after.

* Improved Gallery on Forum with user ability to upload images 

This will be made possible when we upgrade to CS2008 Professional - details later in this post. We are considering making this feature available to Silver and Gold Level Members only, as images take up lots of server space - and it's the paying members that pay for this! Unfortunately, servers aren't free - and BeoWorld is getting so big we keep having to upgrade, which costs real money.

* Fast Link directly to the Forum Menu as opposed to Forum Homepage

Done.   

* Go to the first unread post on a thread 

Not down to us, but down to Telligent, and we have asked them if Community Server 2008 will enable this. Reply to come!

* Name of Thread Originator as opposed to last poster 

Hopefully something that will come with CS-Pro 2008, and we are fairly confident this will happen

* Change of Colour Scheme on Forum 

This should be possible, and if anyone really dislike the Blue/Gold theme then we are happy to listen to suggestions.

* Forum Main Page 'scattered' - too many forums.. 

We are looking at 'condensing' some of the forums and their descriptions to lighten it up a little - but does anyone ever take the time to either condense the forums by using the little 'up arrow' to the top right of the word 'posts' ?  This will effectively close that forum for the time being. If you wish to permanently close a Forum that you never visit - have you tried the 'Personalise' option (below the word 'Discussions' on the top left of the page).

* BeoWorld Skandinavia 

It has been suggested that this forum heading be just in Danish to condense things..  what do our Swedish and Finnish Members think? 

* Main Site - When browsing a product, it would be easier to have an option to download the user and/or service manuals from that page rather than seperately having to go into the User & Service Manuals section..

A very good suggestion, and one we hope to implement. This will cost money as we will have to have the program edited by the websites designers - but hopefully this will not cost too much. We should have this function shortly!

* It would be nice to have links to relevant threads from the Product page in the main site.. 

Again, something we are looking at, and hope to implement shortly if the costs are not too high.

* A 'Product News' section..

We were hoping to have a dedicated product news section below the main 'News' section on the homepage. However, this is looking rather expensive - and we are looking at alternatives..

* Donations  

Lots of people visit BeoWorld with one or two particular problems, have them solved by us, then leave - without wishing to become an active member of the community. This, we fully understand - as not everyone has the time to follow the forums, but some people are so grateful they ask to donate a small amount to the running of the site. Up until now, we have always declined - but due to the spiralling costs  of such a successful website, we have decided to have a 'Donation' button where people can donate by PayPal if they so wish. Every single solitary penny of this will go towards the running of BeoWorld - nothing else.

* BeoWorld North America 

Instead of having it's very own section, would members mind if we changed 'BeoWorld in your own language'  to something like 'BeoWorld - Around the World' and incorporated B&O N.A. into it? This is to further the 'cleaning/slicking up' of the forum menu's.. Suggestions please?

* Prize Draw Rules & Regulations 

Not clear enough as to how you can enter the monthly draw by post. These have been changed, and hopefully explain things a little better!

* Forum Homepage image outdated (that's my suggestion!) 

Image of Avant with BL1's gone, and replaced with BS4 + BL6000 to keep 'up to date' Smile

* Main Homepage Images need replacing (mine again) 

Done - 10 new images, have a look!

* Gift Shop purchases - postage costs can be a high.. 

All Gift Shop purchases now have FREE postage. 

---------------------------------------

This leaves the Forum main software, and we have decided the following..

* Upgrade from Community Server Basic to Community Server 2007 Professional Edition

This will give us some seriously enhanced features, and also 'Gold Support' from Telligent - and Van has managed to negotiate a discount plus a free upgrade to Community Server Professional 2008 in 2-3 Months time.  This will cost us around $2,000 - but will enhance the forum brilliantly. 

* Change Server to increase storage space for the same fees..

Van has looked into this in great depth, and we may have found a reliable server company that can offer much more storage space for the same price we are already paying. As BeoWorld grows at such a rapid rate - we need this! Hopefully, we will be transferring within the next 6-8 weeks. 

----------------------------------- 

Hopefully, this covers the main issues - but if there is anything you would like to add, bring up, or comment on - please, please do so!!!!

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-17-2008 3:52 PM In reply to

Re: BeoWorld Improvements

I like the colour scheme! Well done for these improvements - I look forward to seeing them come on line.
  • 02-17-2008 3:54 PM In reply to

Reference the colour scheme. How about Green and White, with a hint of Black.Yes -  thumbs up

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 02-17-2008 3:57 PM In reply to

Excellent news!

Another suggestion for the colour scheme?? Black, silver, white with a touch of red!!

• 02-17-2008 3:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

ArgyleMoss:
    Reference the colour scheme. How about Green and White, with a hint of Black.Yes -  thumbs up

OY! - shouldn't you be chasing out walls & taking photo's?Laughing

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-17-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

You don't mention the blog section in any of you comments.

I would say that I like this section. Please keep this as it is. 

Further more, please keep your eye on the money.

Don't go bankrupt! 

• 02-17-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work! And the best thing is, that these really are improvements, not only changes. The blog section really could be something you forgot, Lee. It is at least as complicated as the photo gallery!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 02-17-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

Coolskin:

Further more, please keep your eye on the money.

Don't go bankrupt! 

Second that Lee, it is truly fantastic what you are doing but I feel it has to be said that the forum is working very well and certainly leaves other forums in the shade so if the changes you are making are becoming considerable than I am sure that we can miss these luxuries in order to keep the site as it is and safeguard its future.

• 02-17-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

Despite rumours to the contrary, Lee seems to be managing OK. The site is doing nicely and we want it to remain ahead of the game. I think its future is in very safe hands!
  • 02-17-2008 5:37 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Hey - don't worry!! Smile

We have our sponsors renewing their adverts in April, and it's thanks to them in the main that we can invest in better software and servers, and keep on improving - which was always the plan!

We also have a great deal of Gold and Silver members up for renewal - and this will provide us with the 'income boost' we need to keep providing excellent prizes for the draw and repaying the loans taken out to revamp the site in the first place!  Rest assured, i am in complete control of the BeoWorld finances - and we will only keep getting bigger and better.

Lee

Smile 

• 02-17-2008 6:40 PM In reply to

ArgyleMoss:

Blue and white is a better match for your former  manager's new club!

Simon 

• 02-17-2008 6:49 PM In reply to

>> * BeoWorld Skandinavia 

>> It has been suggested that this forum heading be just in Danish to condense things..  what do our Swedish and Finnish Members think? 

I don't think the Finns would mind, they are not a part of Scandinavia Big Smile

/Frank

• 02-17-2008 6:57 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Scaninavian origins aside..

One more improvement !! Not sure if it's yet implemented - but it involves Silver Members that wish to upgrade part-way through their annual membership.  Whereas before you had to forfeit your remaining membership, and start afresh - the system will soon (if not already - please advise Van!) calculate your remaining unexpired membership and deduct it from the cost of a new Gold Level Membership! 

Lee

Smile 

• 02-17-2008 7:07 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Lee as much as I love this site, the search system really bothers me.  Most forums let you display the actual threads in your search results, rather than every single post within the thread that matches your search string.  Sometimes when I search for something I'll get 12 pages of results even if there are far fewer threads, just because all the individual posts get displayed too.  It can really make searching a pain.

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 02-17-2008 7:20 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

As far as i am aware, Van has a new search system in the offing that archives old info and sorts it in a much cleaner manner.

However, i'm not too 'au fait' with what he was researching as he does so much behind the scenes i can't keep up sometimes! I'm sure he will read this thread and explain.

Lee

Smile 

• 02-18-2008 12:28 AM In reply to

I would not have a problem with deleting the N.A. forum.

Appreciate the hard work and investment in this effort.

• 02-18-2008 3:37 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

The NA Forum wouldn't be deleted! - simply moved into a different group heading. Smile

Lee 

• 02-18-2008 4:48 AM In reply to

frankmj:

I don't think the Finns would mind, they are not a part of Scandinavia Big Smile

Got that right. And I don't think the three of us (or so) that actually post something need our own forum, either Laughing

-mika

-mika

• 02-18-2008 5:24 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Had a little 'clean up' of a couple of things - what do we think?

* BeoWorld North America has been moved into the 'language' section - which has been renamed 'BeoWorld around the world'

* The three variations on BeoWorld Skandinavien have been condensed to just Danish.

Finally, do we think Poll Results should be moved to be under the General Forum heading?

Lee

• 02-18-2008 5:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I think the poll results are fine where they are, they prevent the general forum with getting clogged up.

IMO it doesn't really matter if there's a much less 'important' forum right at the bottom, it doesn't get in the way of the others right down there...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-18-2008 5:28 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

9 LEE:

Had a little 'clean up' of a couple of things - what do we think?

Nice! Yes -  thumbs up 

9 LEE:

Finally, do we think Poll Results should be moved to be under the General Forum heading?

Yes, together with the e-bay-forum.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-18-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

By the way. It looks like there´s an empty row after the Danish text.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-18-2008 5:41 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Fixed!

Yes -  thumbs up

• 02-18-2008 9:34 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

'ebay - the right way' moved into the For Sale and Wanted section. Makes sense i suppose - what do you think?

I did put the Poll Results in the General Forum - but it actually sat above the General Forum not below, which looked pretty confusing to be honest..  I shuffled it back off to it's own forum.

Lee

Smile

• 02-18-2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just noticed you have moved the Ebay forum. Great idea to put it with the for sale/wanted.Keep up the good work Lee, Van and all of the Moderators.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >