in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-18-2008 4:38 AM by Medogsfat. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-16-2008 2:21 PM

• Jumbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Founder

A little disapointed

Hi everyone,

My Beosound 1 has been ejecting CD's for a few weeks now and refusing to play. I took the beosound 1 to my dealer who as now informed me that the CD mechanism is broken and will need replacing at a cost of £240.

The Beosound 1 is only 4 years old and as only played about 4 CD's a week. I am disapointed that what i consider a premium brand with first class build quality sould give in after 4 years. I have had a Sony CD player for 15 years and it still works fine and has never been near a repair centre..

Anyway i will get off my soap box now .

Have any other members had the same problem or am i simply unlucky?

Jumbo

• 02-16-2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: A little disapointed

Very sorry to hear of your problems JumboSad

Isn't it typical that a serious issue crops up just the wrong side of warranty? This is the first I've heard of any problems with the CD mechanism of a BS1 (or any other B&O product which are normally pretty well designed & built). I think you've simply being unlucky which doesn't help I'm afraid.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-16-2008 2:48 PM In reply to

I think you have indeed been unlucky. Although I have little experience with the Beosound 1, I have been dealing with B&O cd players for some 5 years and have found them to be ultra reliable.

You are also suffering from a dealer with "broken cd" syndrome. Not unusual I'm afraid. The stock answer with most dealers is "needs replacing" if it appears not to work. The truth is that very few actually need replacing, as it is usually a minor component on the servo board that is faulty. The component costs pence/cents but the dealer does not have an engineer who knows enough to repair it.

We have some members who could probably fix it at a fraction of the dealer price. Where are you situated?

Regards Graham

• 02-16-2008 2:52 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I was going to suggest something similar myself Graham but the OP mentioned the mechanism was broken. In retrospect I suspect you may be right as I cannot for one moment think the actual mechanical parts have failed.

It does sound like the stock dealer answer that was given in all honesty.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-16-2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• Jumbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Founder

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

Graham, i am in Leeds just like Chris but i have now authorised my dealer to proceed with the repair.

I was just having a gripe it never occured to me that there is a " stock dealer answer "

They stated they had cleaned the unit and it started to at least play a CD but it continued skipping hence the statement "The CD mechanism is broken and will need replacing" 

I'll have to put this one down to experience.

Kind regards   Jumbo

• 02-16-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

BuggerSad

Ah well, ask here first next time Jumbo. Where abouts in Leeds are you?

Chris.

• 02-17-2008 5:16 AM In reply to

• Jumbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Founder

Hi Chris,

I'm in Gildersome.

I hope other members reading this may gain something if they are faced with a similar situation.

Jumbo 

• 02-17-2008 5:26 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

BuggerSad

Ah well, ask here first next time Jumbo. Where abouts in Leeds are you?

Chris.

What a small world! 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

Probably C2103 on the servo pcb, possibly one of the other caps. In any case, the components are about 20p each.

I am surprised that it is faulty so soon but the symptoms do sound familiar, usually only after 10 years or so!

Regards Graham

Jumbo:

Hi Chris,

I'm in Gildersome.

I hope other members reading this may gain something if they are faced with a similar situation.

Jumbo 

What a small world. Morley, Gildersome and Pudsey. All about 4 miles from each other! 

• 02-17-2008 2:59 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

What a small world. Morley, Gildersome and Pudsey. All about 4 miles from each other! 

It´s not the world that´s small, it´s Leeds! Wink

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-17-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

Daniel:
    j0hnbarker:

Oi! It's not that small ;) 

• 02-18-2008 4:38 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:
    Daniel:
    j0hnbarker:

Oi! It's not that small ;) 

LaughingLaughingLaughing

And perfectly formedStick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)