in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-17-2008 3:23 PM by Chris. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-16-2008 8:57 AM

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

How good is the B&O passive amp?

Hi - I've got some odds and ends of various brands of hi-fi kit, which are about to get the boot thanks to a Beosound3000 and Beovision 3-32 which are about to arrive.

However I do like my existing passive kef speakers and i'm not ready to spend thousands on B&O speakers... yet.

So - what would the B&O passive amplifier sound like compared to my previous hi-fi amp (a mid range NAD)? I'd be happy linking my speakers in a link room with Masterlink.

• 02-16-2008 9:20 AM In reply to

Re: How good is the B&O passive amp?

About 30W per channel. Not bad but a bit lacking in dynamics. I wouldn't use it for my main listening speakers. Fine for a link room. Consider another make maybe - Quad 405?
  • 02-16-2008 9:43 AM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Would that still allow me to connect and control my Kef speakers with the IR eye and therefore Beo4?
  • 02-16-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

Depends on what set up you have. If you are planning on using the Kefs in a room with your equipment, yes. If using in a link room, you need the eye.  You would control the system as usual but run a powerlink to the 405 and then have the outputs to the speakers. The system delivers variable line level to the 405. Ask Joeyboygolf - he is an advocate of this system.
  • 02-16-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

So one like this? Is the connection (3rd from the left in the photo) suitable to stick a powerlink into?

• 02-16-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

From what I remember the Din on the Quad 405 is 5? pin (might be 4!)so you would need to make up a special lead. Not much hassle and most certainly worth doing. The Quad will blow your mind!! (and possibly your speakers if you are not careful with the volume control!!!!!!)

It will deliver at least 100wpc into virtually any load. You have been warned[:'(]

Regards Graham

• 02-16-2008 11:07 AM In reply to

I have a feeling all you need a 5 pin din lead. I keep meaning to get one of these myself as I use a ML/MCL converter which is the same amplifier, and it doesn't impress.
  • 02-16-2008 12:21 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I've got a Aron no. 3 connected to my bc9500 with a 5din pin to rca cable and it works perfect Smile.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 02-16-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Hmmm there's a couple on ebay just now but most seem ancient - when was the quad last produced? Thanks for all the info - now i just need to work out how to get the cables through the floor!
  • 02-16-2008 12:35 PM In reply to

They are quite old but don't let that put you off! If you really want, Frede would restore them for you - or I believe Quad will do this themselves!
  • 02-16-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

A much cheaper alternative, is the Yamaha M-80 or M-85.....lots of clean power and headroom.....and much, much cheaper....... check out the specs..

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/SepA/M-85.pdf

260 RMS watts at .003% thd and will run 3 sets of speakers..... 

• 02-16-2008 2:19 PM In reply to

Peter :
    They are quite old but don't let that put you off! If you really want, Frede would restore them for you - or I believe Quad will do this themselves!

QUAD will refurbish any of their amps and the prices are very reasonable, that's why they command high s/h prices.

Do Yamaha refurbish their amps I wonder?Devil

Regards Graham

• 02-16-2008 10:43 PM In reply to

Point well taken Graham.....  I've had such good luck with the Yamaha amps that i've bought 2 more off ebay  from $300-500 USD each.... and hooked to a set of NS-1000's  I'd like to hear any (ANY) speaker set compared to my M-85 hooked to this pair of NS-1000's... 

If you haven't ever heard these speakers...i'd suggest you hear them at least once...incredible.

• 02-17-2008 4:06 AM In reply to

I am old enough to remember the NS1000's when they were first launched and yes..........I lusted after a pair as well as the pre and power amps that went with them.

Fantastic system although a bit of an aquired taste as I recall. Very easy to upset the neighbours with this setup!!!!

Regards Graham

• 02-17-2008 6:59 AM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Frank Rizzo:

A much cheaper alternative, is the Yamaha M-80 or M-85.....lots of clean power and headroom.....and much, much cheaper....... check out the specs..

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/SepA/M-85.pdf

260 RMS watts at .003% thd and will run 3 sets of speakers..... 

but what cable would i need to go from the powerlink out of the beosound 3000? i cant see a din connection - or is it just too early on a sunday?!

• 02-17-2008 7:07 AM In reply to

Japanese amplifiers traditionaly use RCA sockets so you would need a din-rca converter.

Regards Graham

• 02-17-2008 7:43 AM In reply to

I think the Quad uses a 4 pin DIN socket so you would need a special cable for that too.
  • 02-17-2008 11:10 AM In reply to

Yep...DP.....,, Graham is right....they are RCA inputs....you can usually get these Powerlink (8pin) to RCA outs for abour $15 usd off Ebay.....

I know what you mean Graham....they can wake up the neighbors....

• 02-17-2008 3:23 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

I find the B&O passive amplifier excellent for the money.

I have one in my kitchen, coupled to a pair of inwall B&W speakers. The sound is lovely and sweet, but if you have a Quad 405 amp to replace the B&O passive, this one would rocks really.

Had myself for years a Quad 33, 33FM with 405 amp, and enjoyed it very much untill the next buy was a 66 series, that disappointed me so much that I put it aside. (I still use my 33 combination, upgraded by Russ Andrews)

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)