in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-19-2008 10:59 PM by beo-ap. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-16-2008 2:06 AM

• peterb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-27-2007
    • Sydney
    • Posts 20
    • Gold Member

settop box & beo4: lintronic or TV software upgrade?

I'm finally going to get a settop box to recieve SD signals for my BV6-22. But i'm wondering if I should get a software upgrade for my TV or use my lintronic to operate the set-top box. I plan to get one of those with a digitial harddrive and perhaps a DVD too so i only have one box rather than a stack.

Are the ST boxes and all functions of the HDR fully operational with Beo4 if i buy a box which is listed in the software list? I know i can do anything with prgoramming of the lintronic, although getting the DVR there's no doubt many many settings etc to make.

Anyone had experience with this or have opinions on what's best. I only ask as the software upgrade will cost $$ so if it doesn't really work well then i guess i wouldn't bother and just rely on the lintronic.

Any opinions on easy to use quality SD DVR's would also be appreciated (i'm in Australia)

thanks!

• 02-17-2008 2:37 AM In reply to

• peterb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-27-2007
    • Sydney
    • Posts 20
    • Gold Member

Re: settop box & beo4: lintronic or TV software upgrade?

any thoughts anyone?
  • 02-18-2008 7:43 AM In reply to

I had the same predicament as my Avant didn#t have a STB-C built in but I had a lintronic box so used that - the great thing about programming it yourself is that you can get the buttons to do what you want and you remember how to use it - for example I don't access channels directly so was abole to program information on button 1 instead of having to press Go and then 1.

On another note, I gather that the lintronic box can now be linked to Masterlink - presumably this means no more need for external IR Receivers and you can use the ones in your B&O products, so it should be integrating more seemlessly and from any linked room. Has anyone tried it? - information is on their website

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 02-18-2008 9:26 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

ajames:

On another note, I gather that the lintronic box can now be linked to Masterlink - presumably this means no more need for external IR Receivers and you can use the ones in your B&O products, so it should be integrating more seemlessly and from any linked room. Has anyone tried it? - information is on their website

Are you sure? To me it looks like you need one LinTronic box in every room.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-18-2008 11:36 AM In reply to

Yes, it's true that Lintronic has the ability to join a Masterlink network, but it is for a specific application. As with all things Lintronic the definitive authority in Michael at Lintronic.
  • 02-18-2008 11:43 AM In reply to

I've e-mailed Michael to find out if it can just join Masterlink and pick up commands from that network to relay onto the lintronic box and control non B&O equipment - it would be fantastic if it did - if not you can drive upto 2 IR Receivers from 1 box.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 02-19-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

The Lintronic website details instructions to connect a cable between the Lintronic IR converter and a Beosystem in order to use just one IR receiver. However, Lintronic does not make the cable to do this. It would be necessary to have an understanding of the correct pin connections and the skills to solder in order to make this cable ourselves.

Last weekend, I urged Michael at Lintronic to make, market, and sell a ready-made cable for this purpose; however Michael responded that he didn't think that there would be much of a demand. I would think that most B&O users would be using a Lintronic IR converter in conjunction with a Beosystem and that such a cable would be very useful for most Lintronic/B&O users. Perhaps more of us should encourage Michael to make and sell such a cable.

I've found that the Lintronic products can provide excellent and much-needed solutions to supplement our B&O needs. However, the products seem to require quite a bit of technical understanding and skills to take full advantage of them. It would be wonderful if Lintronic could provide more ready-to-connect solutions (such as the correct cables) for those of us without such technical skills. I say this not as a criticism of Lintronic but rather as an encouragement.  

• 02-19-2008 8:23 PM In reply to

• peterb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-27-2007
    • Sydney
    • Posts 20
    • Gold Member

i am a fan on the lintronic too but how well does the Beo4 function with Non B&O set-top boxes and those with PVR's. I was under the impression that all their functions would work with Beo4 as long as they were in the list of supported units in hte software of hte TV but is this right?

• 02-19-2008 10:59 PM In reply to

I can only speak for a US-spec Avant. The installed IR codes in the Avant will control many if not all of the essential functions of my sources. Importantly though, not all the sources' IR commands. I think this is exactly as it should be, otherwise the screen overlay would be cluttered with all kinds of "minor" functions.

I can only wish that the IR converters built into B&O were customer programmable such as with Lintronic, with the added ability to design overlays. Alas, I know this is asking waayyyy too much. I know I'm not the "typical" customer.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)