in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-16-2008 9:04 PM by Medogsfat. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2008 2:26 PM

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 5005 questions...

Hello again!

So my beogram 5005 has turned up and I have it hooked up through datalink or whatever it's called to my beomaster 5500 and that's all working fine, the records and radio are playing through my speakers etc.

I think I got a pretty good deal, it's in almost mint condition, there is only one tiny scratch on the top + it came with an mmc3 cartridge that is working fine, all for only £127 including £25 postage so I'm pretty happy with that. The Beomaster cost about the same including postage.

but...

I need to get a new belt for the beogram, as it's pretty slack so the records are playing in and out of time.

Am I right in thinking (I've found a place selling them fairly cheaply) that I can just use a belt for a TX2? I can get one of those for £6 including postage.

It's the cut down model of the 5005 so I figure I can.

PLUS (and this is of more concern) the platter seems to be ever so slightly angled, so that when the record is playing the platter scrapes against the the outer rim a little bit. Can I adjust the angle at all?

+ does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance for you help Beoworlders!

Cheers

Kris 

• 02-15-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 5005 questions...

was just playing w/ my 5005 (actually 5500) last night...

are the three transport screws completely turned out?
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 02-15-2008 2:52 PM In reply to

The belt for the TX2 will do just fine. I believe that member Dillen (Martin) does the belts so you could try him.

If you upgrade to at least silver membership of this site, you can download the service manual, which give details of adjustments to the deck. Your symptoms are fairly common.

Regards Graham

• 02-15-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I just joined as a silver member and downloaded the files.

Then found the screws and adjusted them to raise the platter a bit, but it turns out that the right hand screw is barely lifting the platter.

The other 2 are perfect. 

It's a bit of a pain, I've got it to where it'll play 7"s okay without scraping and slowing down, but 12"s still make it scrape.

I think I might need to bend the little bit of metal a tiny bit as it seems like it isn't at the right angle to lift the platter any further. 

Anyone had this problem?

Cheers

Kris 

• 02-15-2008 6:06 PM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Sorry, wasn't very specific there.

By little bit of metal I mean the lever that is connected at one end to the screw that you tighten /loosen to adjust the platter height, and at the other to a little hook that actually lifts the platter and mechanics.

It's a flat and flexible piece of metal about 1 1/2 inces long.

It doesn't seem to be quite bent at the right angle as the other 3 levers are. 

• 02-16-2008 3:13 AM In reply to

That is the leaf spring. If it is not adjustable in the normal way, it has probably become bent. A small bend the other way will be fine! However remember that this will be 15 years old so be delicate! There should only be three in total.
  • 02-16-2008 3:51 AM In reply to

krisb:

Sorry, wasn't very specific there.

By little bit of metal I mean the lever that is connected at one end to the screw that you tighten /loosen to adjust the platter height, and at the other to a little hook that actually lifts the platter and mechanics.

It's a flat and flexible piece of metal about 1 1/2 inces long.

It doesn't seem to be quite bent at the right angle as the other 3 levers are. 

If you can't achieve the correct shape, try swapping the springs around and see if that helps.

If all else fails, I do have a scrap deck which I could canibalise. Let me know by PM and I can send you one.

Regards Graham

• 02-16-2008 7:52 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I have a leaf spring I can send you, saves Graham cannibalising his deck.

PM me your address if you need itSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-16-2008 4:06 PM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

thanks for the offers guys! I think I've sorted it now! I just gave the leaf spring a bit of a tweak / nudge and it's all working perfectly now!

What a great record player! Previously I've just had the cheaper technics models etc, so this is the first time I've owned a turntable of this quality!

I'm just listening to my Vinyl copy of the original Beach Boys "Smile" sessions as I type and it sounds amazing! 

What is everyones opinion of the MMC3? It sounds pretty good to me but I'm not familiar with the differences between the cartridges.

I've just won one of the original  Beolink 1000's on ebay too, so I'm gonna be able to actually control the volume and turn off that flippin loudness setting!

Anyway, I'm chuffed with my new stereo so have attached a pic of it in it's new environs!

Thanks so much for your help and offers of parts etc! It's very much appreciated

Cheers

Kris 

• 02-16-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Wow Kris,

judging by the photo's you really love your music.

Glad you've got it sorted out, it really isn't too difficult to bend a bit of metal is it?Big Smile

The MMC3 is a really nice cartridge and a definate step up from the MMC4 (I have one of each). Personally I would keep it and play it into the ground until it needs replacing, when that time comes don't even consider looking for an orignal B&O replacement as time will have taken its toll on the suspension which will have hardened even in so called "new old stock". My advice would be to go for a SMMC4 from soundsmith which is even better than the B&O MMC3. This company now reproduce these under license from B&O and supply dealers on a global basis, and they come with a 12 month warranty in a nice Cedar wood box to stick in your underwear drawer. Of course you could go the whole hog and order The Voice cartridge.

PS. Don't be tempted into removing/refitting your cartridge as the 4 locating pins can lose contact with the coils by doing this. Leave well alone unless you need to.

Chris.

EDIT. I'm making an assumption here, do you know how to tune your beomaster into radio stations using a beolink 1000? If not then let us know and we'll walk you through it. As for the loudness setting hopefully you've bought the correct version of beolink 1000.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-16-2008 5:13 PM In reply to

The MMC3 is a good sounding cartridge. It is the successor to the MMC20EN/MMC4000/SP15 having a nude elliptical stylus on a metal cantilever. I know people who feel that this is the best B&O type of cartridge - the sapphire cantilever ones are more sensitive to temperature variations. I had a MMC3 and was very pleased with it. It was a standard fitting on the Beogram 6002.
  • 02-16-2008 6:59 PM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Hi Chris,

Well I'm a full time musician so I need some inspiration! It's my life to be honest Smile

Think I have about 5000 records or something! I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that have even more though!

I read posts on the forums and figured out that I needed a beolink 1000 with the reset button on it, so I've got one of those.

Any help with tuning in stations would be greatly appreciated! Just need to get a ariel first.

I'd been looking at the soundsmith and the smmc4 and I guess that is what I will buy next time.

Thanks for you help!

Kris

• 02-16-2008 9:04 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Well I too like my music but I don't think I've anywhere near as many records as that!Surprise

Nice to see you've done some research as to the model of Beolink you need, you'll be just fine with the one you've ordered. The loudness function can be really annoying can't it?

For tuning purposes you don't really need an aeriel, just something to pick up the signal, I've even done it with a screwdriver resting in the input socket! If you know the channel frequency you want to tune to (eg 96.3 fm) you don't actually need an aeriel to preset the stations as you can key in the numbers but you won't get a signal until you attach one.

Chris.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)