in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-16-2008 4:39 AM by Kokomo. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2008 10:18 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

ipod to stereo & tv - will this idea work?

Currently all my music collection is on my Philips 20GB MP3 'Audio Jukebox' which is connected to my Beosystem. The player has no RC capability therefore it not possible to control the player with any remote, let alone my Beo4. This lack of a remote control feature means I have to view & choose tracks directly on the player itself.

What I was considering therefore was the following:-

1. Get an ipod & transfer all tracks to this.

2.  Get one of the docking systems available which facilitate RC from the Beo4.

3. Connect audio to my stereo system as now.

4. Connect video out from the ipod dock to either my Beovision 3 via scart thus giving me total Beo4 control over sound and vision or to a small non B&O flat screen tv/monitor, thereby allowing me to not only listen to and control the music but to view the music menus and tracks etc.on a screen.

Has anyone set up something like this? Are there any problems I haven't spotted? 

Thanks.

• 02-14-2008 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: ipod to stereo & tv - will this idea work?

Kokomo,

Yes, technically this should work just fine. Be ready for terrible video quality, though. The novelty of this setup is one thing, but once it's set up and reality sets in, you'll probably only use it for the music. I could be wrong though! Good luck either way.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-14-2008 3:23 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

A MUCH better solution would be to get an Apple TV, control it via the STB-C blaster (the latest software will allow you to do this), and stream that around the house. Much, MUCH better than using an iPod in a dock (the quality etc... is not only better, but it has proper on-screen menus and will last longer than an iPod).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-14-2008 4:28 PM In reply to

It will work. I've done it with an Avant and DLO dock. However, I agree with Alex: AppleTV is better suited to the task.
  • 02-15-2008 4:18 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for the advice and comments. Perhaps my original post wasn't clear enough. I'm not concerned with viewing 'video' on the screen, just the music menus/music track details so that they can be seen from my listening position. As I said before, currently I have to go over to my mp3 player and select tracks/albums etc on the player itself then return to the sofa to listen. Having no RC and it being impossible to view the screen from there means I am sometimes back and forth constantly to the player.

Thanks again. 

• 02-15-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

I think you were quite clear indeed. While video with ATV is better than with a docked Ipod, I still use ATV primarily for music. I would add that even if you only want music, ATV is still a far better appliance as it is designed for connection to a TV than a docked Ipod.
  • 02-15-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

atv -absolutley!

i was going to buy a new touch and connector, but rather went with an extreme n and the atv. -roughly spending the equivalent $ and the result is miles ahead -very happy!

just think of the atv as a static ipod w/ better abilities (geared to a/v)...

highly recommended!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 02-16-2008 4:39 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Thanks beo-ap & burantek for coming back on this one. Must confess I know nothing of the ATV system (will soon though!) and had not even considered this as an option. From your advice I will now explore this method.

Thanks again. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)