in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-13-2008 6:21 PM by The Stig - ver. 1.7. 67 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (68 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-13-2008 7:04 PM

Refurb/Redec Beo Installation of Lounge

Hi All,

Last week i posted to see if anyone was interested in a jandyt style photo thread of the redecoration/refurb and B&O installation of my front room. I had some positive response on that thread so have decided to crack on and see how this thread goes.

The thing with me is i cant just give a room a lick of paint when i redecorate, ive got to rip out complete and make everything as perfect as possible, which seeing as i do most of the work myself and have a demanding job and two baby girls as well as trying to live in the house while i do it all, as you can imagine things take a long time to get done.

I have been planning/thinking about this room since i moved in 2 and a half years ago and you will see how this has helped with the installation of all the B&O gear. So to start of with this is a picture of my house when i first bought it.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 02-13-2008 7:06 PM In reply to

Re: Refurb/Redec & B&O Installation of Lounge

This was my front room the day i moved in. Check out the awful 1930s tiled hearth and surround.

• 02-13-2008 7:14 PM In reply to

Looking at the above photo (of front room) the BV28 is going to the left of the chimney *** and the BS9000 is to be horizontally wall mounted to the right of chimney *** with the BL4000 wall mounted horizontally high up above TV and stereo and masterlinked to MX4002 in kitchen/diner. As i dont want to see any cables i started to plan where the electric sockets would go.

• 02-13-2008 7:25 PM In reply to

Next there was the cabling routes to think about i.e Masterlink, FM aerial, Sky+ cables, powerlink, mains cables for speakers. As we are still using the lounge i decided to concentrate on one corner first and this had to be where the TV was going and where all the Maserlink, sky, tv & fm aerials were going. Lucky enough this wall had previously been plasterboarded against the block wall, so no chasing out was required. I decided to batten off the wall and run all cables in plastic trunking. Here are the tools.

• 02-13-2008 7:32 PM In reply to

To fit the 2"X1" batton and the trunking i drilled through batten and trunking and secured with rawl plugs and screws (obviously using a spirit level). Notice how i have also secured a backboard to wall where the speaker will hang. This is to get a perfect fixing once the wall has been plaster-boarded and skimmed.

• 02-13-2008 7:45 PM In reply to

Re: Refurb/Redec

Down in this corner under the floor boards was the masterlink cable thats connected to the MX4002 in kitchen diner, this had previously been hooked up to the BS9000 which was vertically wall mounted in this corner.

• 02-13-2008 7:48 PM In reply to

This will run up through the trunking marked 'strangely enough' masterlink and through ceiling into the corner of my built in wardrobe in my bedroom. As will the other two masterlink cables.

• 02-13-2008 7:51 PM In reply to

At this point this is where the previous years of thinking had come into play, as you can see when i built in the wardrobe i had conveniently left a gap for these cables.

• 02-13-2008 10:53 PM In reply to

WoW!!  

Nice...Keep the photos coming.

Dario

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 02-14-2008 2:30 AM In reply to

• BEOfreak
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Odense, Denmark
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Keep it comming...

Maybe a little late, -but have you seen this site http://www.qlab.dk/projects.html

Regards Rasmus

Avant CTV 28", V6000, DVD1, BC9000, BS3000, BL4000, MX4200, CX50, BeoCom 2, Beocom 6000, LC1, LC2

• 02-14-2008 2:49 AM In reply to

Re: Refurb/Redec Beo Installation of Lounge

As I'm someone who has trouble opening a box of matches you won't have the faintest idea of how envious I am.  I'm full of admiration but, just wonder are you seconded to build a conservatory or re-paint the lounge because Auntie Doris is coming in a couple of days?  Keep up the good work & I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to see the finished article.

John

• 02-14-2008 4:44 AM In reply to

ArgyleMoss:
    Last week i posted to see if anyone was interested in a jandyt style photo thread of the redecoration/refurb and B&O installation of my front room. I had some positive response on that thread so have decided to crack on and see how this thread goes.

Hi ArgyleMoss,

Thanks for this very interesting thread ! I have put it on the gallery with your comments:  http://forum.beoworld.org/photos/where_i_live/tags/ArgyleMoss/default.aspx.

Don't hesitate to send me full resolutions pictures at beoworld.galleries@gmail.com, if will put them on the gallery Yes -  thumbs up

Quoi de mieux qu'un BeoLab 2 ? 2 BeoLab 2 !

• 02-14-2008 5:54 AM In reply to

Looks promising Mark! ehst equipment will you be putting in?

I have just had a mare.. taking wallpaper off and I must have had the steamer against the wall for too long and its took the plaster off!!

• 02-14-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

Thanks for sharing, I am planning to do this once I get my set-up sorted and your pics have given me food for thought.

Thank you. I am looking forward to the final pics. When are you looking to have it finished by? 

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-14-2008 3:45 PM In reply to

TheMajor:

Thank you. I am looking forward to the final pics. When are you looking to have it finished by? 

Hope to have complete by the end of March 'ish'. Theres loads to do, the aerial man is coming next friday, the electricians the week after, the plasterer the week after that, then the misses goes away for a week to leave me to do the floor, the painting, the wood work.

So this thread will last some weeks and there will be loads of photos uptill completion. So stay tuned. 

• 02-15-2008 4:42 AM In reply to

• BEOfreak
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Odense, Denmark
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Hi ArgyleMoss,

Why don't you use coduit pipes istead of " 2"X1" batton "?
    It might be a better solution if you want to rewire or add wires to your installation in the future.

Regards Rasmus

Avant CTV 28", V6000, DVD1, BC9000, BS3000, BL4000, MX4200, CX50, BeoCom 2, Beocom 6000, LC1, LC2

• 02-15-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

I enjoy this thread very much, keep up the work and keep the posts coming!

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 02-15-2008 8:58 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

ArgyleMoss:
    Looking at the above photo (of front room) the BV28 is going to the left of the chimney *** and the BS9000 is to be horizontally wall mounted to the right of chimney *** with the BL4000 wall mounted horizontally high up above TV and stereo and masterlinked to MX4002 in kitchen/diner. As i dont want to see any cables i started to plan where the electric sockets would go.

I like your room and don't want to sound too impertinent and distracting (like: 'oh, I would do this differently'), as I'm sure you gave it all a lot of thoughts before you started and are, of course, placed best to make the judgment on the spot. I was just playing with an idea of a slightly alternative placement (see the quick drawing). Perhaps, it might open up for future possibilities to add rear speakers, giving some flexibility to change the things if you would wish so. You would though need to place the TV against the window (less light reflections, but at the cost of blocking the view from/to the room, though), which might matter even less once you go flat screen. Still a lot depends on how the light gets into the room throughout the day, what actually is behind the window, if you plan to add curtains etc. etc. You could place your BS9000 either where you wanted or as in the drawing. Just an idea ... don't get disturbed by me! Big Smile

• 02-15-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

So now all three masterlink cables are in the corner of the built in wardrobe but the distribution box wont stay like this. I still have the 2 sky cables, TV aerial and FM aerial to run from loft down beside the masterlink. This will be done end of next week. The other ends of the cables are tucked away under the lounge floor (except the MX4002 cable which is already connected to the TV and built in wall) You will see later in the thread where they will travel.

• 02-15-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

Im On-Call this week so havent been able to do much, so i started to strip the wall paper from the ceiling. I have a spare hour between finishing my day job and starting On-Call, so this took me a few days.

• 02-15-2008 2:29 PM In reply to

This afternoon i had a few spare hours, so really cracked on and got the rest of the wall paper stripped and picture rail removed and also knocked off some loose plaster. As you can see the BV3 is still in the room, and i know i should get it out of the room but as ive said before i am still using the front room while the work goes on and with two kids CBeebies is a must. Dont worry its perfectly safe.

• 02-15-2008 2:32 PM In reply to

Being a Plumber by trade, i done a 4 year apprenticeship in Tea making, and now it was time for a brew.

• 02-15-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

BEOfreak:

Hi ArgyleMoss,

Why don't you use coduit pipes istead of " 2"X1" batton "?
    It might be a better solution if you want to rewire or add wires to your installation in the future.

Regards Rasmus

The cables are running in plastic trunking and the 2"X1" batten will be for fixing the plasterboard. The thinking is that before plasterboarding i will be putting in some polystyrene sheets between the batten to act as a soundproofing as the pillock next door complains if i drop a pin. 

• 02-15-2008 3:38 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Mark, this is a truly wonderful thread. Keep it up.
    Saf, I can see your point, but it wouldn't work for me. I don't know if it is a Brit thing, but the fireplace is the focal point of the room, whether it is in use or not.
    I personally would hate to have the fireplace to the side of me.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-15-2008 3:48 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Great stuff Mark & keep it going.

Can't you get your little sis' & her camera round with some of her model friends (well the girl ones) to add some real spiceStick out tongueBig Smile I'll happily be tea boy.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 3 (68 items) 1 2 3 Next >