in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-22-2008 9:24 AM by BeoMatt. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-13-2008 2:03 PM

• Jabbs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-13-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Glass panel for a Beomaster 3500 ?

Mine fell out, hit the floor, and smashed to pieces :((

I had only just inherited this from my father-in-law too !

Does anyone have a dead Beomaster 3500 ? Or can anyone point me in the right direction for possible spares ?

I just need the smoked glass strip that goes across the buttons. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 02-13-2008 2:08 PM In reply to

Re: Glass panel for a Beomaster 3500 ?

Sparers are no longer available from B&O.

Suggest you look for a non working system on ebay to act as donor.

Regards Graham

• 02-13-2008 2:50 PM In reply to

This problem comes up time and time again , B&o used the foam tape method of fixing glass to the plastic frame on a lot of equipment . Seams to last about 10+ years and then gradually dies , the foam not the glue , that's adheres forever as you will know if you have tried to remove it . I have re-glued nearly all of my suspect systems , 5 of them and a couple more to go yet . I use thinners to get the adhesive off , then clear silicone the re-fix but there are numerous methods . The glass panel gradually starts to lift because of the pressure of the rubber fingers that press on the glass from behind and if wall mounted it falls out . The thinners I use doesn't affect the black painted surface on the back of the glass but don't be tempted to use a metal blade to scrape the glue off , if you scratch the paint it will show thru , but minor marks can be touched up . If you buy one off Ebay make the seller aware of this problem and pack accordingly .
    Richard
  • 02-13-2008 9:53 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

You typically see more beomaster 4500's for sale than 3500's, so you may want to look for that instead. 

For when you go to replace it again...

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/permalink/79101/82380/ShowThread.aspx#82380

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 02-14-2008 2:45 AM In reply to

Scratches is another problem on the products with the grey painted lids . I've striped the grey off from 2 of my 3500 and a 8500 , they have a polished finish beneath .
  • 02-15-2008 9:27 AM In reply to

a2bur, how do strip of the finish? Do you end up with the same finish as a 4500 panel?
  • 02-15-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

I have put this topic about stripping the grey lid's on the 3500 & 8500 to show the polished s/steel on the old forum a couple of times , I know there are other members that have done it successfully . Firstly I must STRESS these are MY experiences and I cannot guarantee what results you will get and cannot accept any responsibility for unexpected results if you do this  .
    The method I found successful is , remove the lids , you have to do a bit of dissemble on the 8500 and 3500 master but the 3500 tape and cd lids just slide off the dovetailed hinges after prising up the end retaining lug. Then use Nitomors Varnish & Lacquer remover ( the paint version doesn't work ) , give it several coats and be patient don't be tempted to start scraping it , the grey will virtually fall off after a short time showing the polish beneath .Don't get any Nitromors on the plastic backplate as it will eat it .
     I believe the same polished lids were used for both the 3500 & 4500 but painted grey on 3500 version but I CANNOT GUARANTEE this . I have successfully done a few of these but the s/steel was badly marked on one so decided to re-spray gloss black and also looks far better than grey . 
    Richard
  • 10-22-2008 9:24 AM In reply to

• BeoMatt
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2007
    • Norwich
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Hi a2bur, yes it worked a treat, I stripped my Beomaster, Beogram CD and Tape player. The CD unfortunatly looks very pitted and scored from years of misuse. The Tape looks like new, but the lids alas are uncompatible as the cd has an indent inside the lid for the CD holder. Thanks for the advice, I succesfully used 1 coat of Nitromores 'Paint and varnish remover', rinsing in fairy liquid & water after 5 minutes. BeoMatt
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)