in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-30-2007 8:22 AM by mobeyone. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2007 6:01 AM

OT mains help please!!

I have struck again!

Moving a few things around and I hear a bang! Suffered many a heart attack as I checked all was ok and I found my mains box to be at fault.

Opened up and found some charring to the surface and was wondering if this is repairable? Some photos as below:

I think its the "blue" thing - sorry for the non technical term! But does this look salvagable?

TIA!

• 04-29-2007 6:15 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: OT mains help please!!

Mobe, the Blue component yor refer to looks like a Ceramic Disc Capacitor. Should be available from Maplin or RS. What is the mains box for?

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-29-2007 6:23 AM In reply to

Cheers Craig! Its called a JO-EL Powerpoint and I do not think they are produced anymore??

Fantastic looking and excellent, served me well! but for some reason it went pop yesterday... Changed the fuse anad again went pop...

Looks like this!

So is this an easy fix? and what could cause this to go?

• 04-29-2007 6:43 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just had a look at their website. Looks like they are still made or at least listed. You said you have replaced the fuse. It will keep on blowing until you have replaced the faulty component. Can you see any numbers on the Capacitor, this should help you find a peplacement. it should be quite easy to replace it only has two connections, just a simple soldering job. That is about the limit of my knowledege on these. Although we use them at work. We just change a PCB which has 3 of these on.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-29-2007 7:13 AM In reply to

Cheers Craig!

Just need to find someone to fix it for me now!!! 

• 04-29-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Have you got something like a local TV repair shop. What you need is someone who can do repairs at component level.

CraigBig Smile

• 04-29-2007 7:46 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Not sure its a capacitor. In a mains input circuit its more likely to one of two other devices. The first is a varistor which will be across the mains to protect against overvoltage spikes etc. In normal operation it doesn't actually do anything and so you could actually remove it to see whether you device continues to blow fuses. The other possibility is an NTC thermistor which would be in series with the mains traces. The purpose in this case is to limit inrush current into resevoir capacitors. If it were to go open circuit then your device wouldn't power up at all and if it is shourt circuit you may blow fuses on startup but if you can get it to power up then it serves no further purpose until the next time it is switched on.

Further investigation required methinks!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-29-2007 8:12 AM In reply to

Hmm, when last changed the fuse the unit did not power up and went bang and has not worked since...

There are two leds on the front which also have not illuminated since...

Eitherway... is it repairable?? 

• 04-29-2007 9:15 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

mobeyone:

Hmm, when last changed the fuse the unit did not power up and went bang and has not worked since...

There are two leds on the front which also have not illuminated since...

Eitherway... is it repairable?? 

Most things are repairable although it is likely that this isn't actually the fault but a consequence of it.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-29-2007 1:56 PM In reply to

Agree with Puncher.

If you dont mind paying the postage both ways, I can probably sort it for you.

Neil

• 04-29-2007 3:01 PM In reply to

Fantastic! You have PM!
  • 04-29-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Good Grief! Mobe,

You want a wee job selling Lucky white heather?LaughingLaughing

Cheers Graeme
  • 04-30-2007 4:50 AM In reply to

Graeme:

Good Grief! Mobe,

I am even thinking about keeping a rabbits foot in my pocket for good luck at the moment!!! so anything is possible! 

• 04-30-2007 6:50 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Graeme:

Good Grief! Mobe,

Beat me to it Graeme.

Mobe - make sure you stay indoors the next time a thunderstorm passes ManchesterUmbrella. You and 'lecky' just don't mix at the minuteLaughing

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-30-2007 8:22 AM In reply to

Tell me about it!

I keep thinking about that old saying.. "bad luck comes in..." I dare not say the rest!!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)