in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2007 5:20 PM by Tom. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2007 5:22 AM

New MP3 player

We are expecting a launch of the new MP3 player this year. What do you think it should be like? Rumours suggest a player more akin to an iPod this time. But which one should it resemble?
  • 04-29-2007 5:37 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: New MP3 player

Personally I like the look of the BS2. it's different. There are too many MP3 players which look the same, the basic design of the ipod seems to have been copied quite a lot. So I hope the BS2 replacement does not look like an ipod.What it must have though, is a display. Not very pratical searching through 1GB or more of tunes without a display.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-29-2007 5:39 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I love the looks of the BS2, but what kept me from buying it, was the lack of a screen, so I would like if they could incorporate that in the new design.
  • 04-29-2007 6:09 AM In reply to

I believe a screen is there. What size if memory would you want? Do you want a built in memory or SD cards to work with the BS4 and 3? Or both!
  • 04-29-2007 6:10 AM In reply to

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

well, from the official reply from B&O denmark, BS2 is still being produced in April. Will they end this product so quickly? So how will they handle the remaining stock?

• 04-29-2007 6:18 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter:
    I believe a screen is there. What size if memory would you want? Do you want a built in memory or SD cards to work with the BS4 and 3? Or both!

Cannot see B&O producing an MP3 player with built in memory and SD card. SD card is the  way to go IMO for use with BS3 and BS4.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-29-2007 6:19 AM In reply to

I don't see that they have to. The new Beosound 6 will be a different type of device. Apple can sell more than one type, why not B&O?
  • 04-29-2007 7:19 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Flash memory is already on the market at 8g and testing at 32g. Prediction: Hard drives on portable devices will be a thing of the past in 5 years.   Unless, of course, you want your customers' machine to break every year or so.
  • 04-29-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

I have seen the nne MP3 player it has holograpic memory in it and its looks like junk.
  • 04-29-2007 8:16 AM In reply to

symmes:
    Flash memory is already on the market at 8g and testing at 32g. Prediction: Hard drives on portable devices will be a thing of the past in 5 years.   Unless, of course, you want your customers' machine to break every year or so.

Built in obsolescence! I suppose if they are cheap enough, this is the way to keep selling! 

• 04-29-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

New technology has always had obselence built into it, Peter... by its very nature. However, things are certainly speeding up at the moment.

I love the 80GB video iPod that I have... it amazes me each time I use it. I'd like to see B&O produce something similar - with also a similar price tag!

Steve

• 04-29-2007 9:23 AM In reply to

I have one too! But mine is full!Sad
  • 04-29-2007 9:36 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

SteveAdmin:

. I'd like to see B&O produce something similar - with also a similar price tag!

Steve

B&O may produce something similar to an ipod, but as for the price tag. Steve you should know better.Laughing

CraigBig Smile 

• 04-29-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    ... The new Beosound 6 will be a different type of device...

Beosound6??? never heard of that one. where did you? any more infos?

I think that the new B&O mp3-player should have inbuit memory. The launch of a new mp3-player does not have to be the end of the BS2. I think it would be good to have one player with sd-card memory and another with inbuilt memory. The larger the choice is, the more chances there are to sell a product.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-29-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

in my mind, it is a very stupid idea to use flash memory / harddisk mp3. 
    Please do not push B&O into a "dead place"

no matter how big the harddisk is... it will become out of date within 1 year..
    this contradicts with the theory of B&O.... last forever..

i think the use of SD card memory is the clevest one in the whole market!!!!!

• 04-29-2007 2:07 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 85
    • Founder

I hope the fit a radio in it......and a ML socket.. then I can ditch my Ouverture :-)

Thomas

7-40 Mk3, Beo5/Beo4, Avant32DVD, BS3K, PentaIII, BL4K, BL Active w/BL2500, Avant28CTV,Beoport, AppleTV, 2xBC6K

• 04-29-2007 3:09 PM In reply to

Any ideas whats seen as the replacement for SD and HD?

I would presume that the large organisations are looking at the next "ipod".... 

• 04-29-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

Thomas:

I hope the fit a radio in it......and a ML socket.. then I can ditch my Ouverture :-)

Thomas

You would scrap an Ouverture for an MP3 player?! You must be mad. Not to mention the Ouverture is one of B&O's most iconic designs in my opinion!

I think everyone has had a fair comment in this thread. However, I'm in favour of the SD cards still, not because internal memory soon becomes dated, but more because I would be able to switch cards between my BS2, BS3 and a BS4 which is great compatibility for which B&O is famous for. Using SD cards is also a personal thing, and it allows you to choose your own size of MP3 without B&O having to make a BS6 30GB, BS6 60GB etc, which would be costly for them, and a big headache for me!

• 04-29-2007 3:35 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I hope this one will have a display....

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 04-29-2007 3:38 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

tom:

Peter:
    ... The new Beosound 6 will be a different type of device...

Beosound6??? never heard of that one. where did you? any more infos?

I think that the new B&O mp3-player should have inbuit memory. The launch of a new mp3-player does not have to be the end of the BS2. I think it would be good to have one player with sd-card memory and another with inbuilt memory. The larger the choice is, the more chances there are to sell a product.

ok, I think I missed it. BS6 = name of the new MP3-player. How obvious! Well, it is sunday and I did not get much sleep last night, my brain is not working today I think...Ick!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-29-2007 3:53 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Must have a display

Must stick to SD's

Must look stunning (which I have faith in B&O getting right)

Must have long battery life

Must have dock for main source so it can become part of your link system and sit next to your pride and joy.

Thats all they have to do to turn my head away from the ipodStick out tongue

@Peter

What size are the tracks on your 80g ipod to have filled it. I have around 140 gig of music, most of it @320kbps on an external HD but I only have around 40 gig of it on my ipod so far, its finding the time to move about these big filesSnailTime

Cheers Graeme
  • 04-29-2007 5:42 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

It should have SD removable media to maintain compatibility with Beosound 3 and 4.

More importantly, it should play a wider range of audio formats than are currently possible with Beosound 2. AAC format is the obvious choice because it is the default codec used by iTunes software. Protected AAC format, as used by the iTunes Music Store, (fingers crossed) might become a thing of the past if Digital Rights Management disappears and record labels permit the sale of unprotected digital audio files.

B&O would be wise to support a broad range of audio formats, or at least give their player the capacity to be upgraded with new codecs as they are released. Better compatibility with iTunes software wouldn't hurt either.

• 04-29-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

I tend to encode at 320kbps now but quite a bit was at 160kbps. I have 11184 tracks on at present. I have it on a 500Gb internal drive as well as on DVD and a portable HDD. 75.82 Gb, which as you know is more than an 80Gb iPod can handle! Have decided to collect music now rather than equipment! The challenge is to set the iPod to shuffle and then identify the track! They do have a game built in which marks you on how quickly you can identify the track! Hours of harmless fun!Laughing
  • 04-29-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

By flash memory, I intended to say via SD card.  I agree that memory should be transportable.  32g on a flash card this year is good stuff.

• 04-30-2007 3:30 AM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

enough music to play name that tune for like 3 years non stopLaughing
    Cheers Graeme
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >