in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-25-2008 4:58 AM by Jandyt. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2008 5:01 PM

Disassembling a Beo4

My Beo4 remote got left out in the rain, and now all it does is say "TV", and if I any button it goes to "V.MEM".  My guess is that there is a bit of moisture trapped around the buttons.  Does anyone have experience in disassembling the Beo4?  I removed the back and the 3 small screws.  However, the front plate with the buttons/screen is still firmly attached to the ends of the main body while loose in the center.  I'm guessing that there is a trick with the plastic shield over the LED but didn't want to force anything unless I knew that to be the case.  Thanks.
  • 02-08-2008 7:31 PM In reply to

Re: Disassembling a Beo4

Do you know why they call it Beo4? Because it has 4 screws WinkLaughing

See the red dots on the picture below

• 02-09-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

damatt:

See the red dots on the picture below

Excellent.  The screw under the serial # sticker was the one I missed.

Anyways, I opened and disassembled the rest of the Beo4 but could not find any obvious signs of moisture remaining in the unit.  Unfortunately, when it powers up it continues to show only V.MEM after any button is pressed.  Is there anything else I can try before declaring the Beo4 a loss? Thanks. 

One more thing.  I found some previous posts detailing how to examine the EEPROM and software versions.  Pressing List+Standby and then MENU+GO just results in the same V.MEM indicator.  Maybe the EEPROM has been zapped into a bad state?

• 02-09-2008 1:26 PM In reply to

Remove the metal clip that holds the plastic contact "board" and clean carefully the contacts. The ones on the plasic are very sensitive. This solved the issue with my Beo4.

Good luck, Marcus 

• 02-10-2008 12:33 AM In reply to

Thanks, marcus_m, that fixed it!  Just to be clear, there is a small, corrugated metal clip that presses the contacts from the circuit board to the clear plastic liner that cover all the button bubble contacts.  It is located between where the red and black wires from the battery feed into the circuit board.  I removed that clip, and peeled away the plastic liner just a few mm and cleaned in there where the contacts meet, and replaced the clip.  I did not pull back too far for fear of warping the plastic structure or breaking open the bubbles where each button's contacts are located.  My guess is that those bubble portions are already well sealed and fairly impervious to water seeping in. 
  • 02-24-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, after just a few hours the Beo4 reverted back to its permanent V.MEM display.  No amount of opening and re-cleaning of the contacts has made any difference this time.  So, I'll just assume the Beo4 is permanently hosed.
  • 02-24-2008 1:52 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Just get a new 'bubbly' bit from your dealer. It should only cost just over a tenner (£10)  Be careful when peeling off the old one though.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-24-2008 3:29 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Just get a new 'bubbly' bit from your dealer. .

Bubbly bit, is that the technical term for it then Andy.LaughingLaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-25-2008 4:58 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Sorry Craig, I couldn't think of the name B&O calls it last night. They call it a Dome Foil (thougfh there's nothing foily about it)

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)