in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2008 4:38 PM by Craig. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2008 8:25 AM

original Beo 1000 new to me and not working but supposed to be!

Hi

I've just acquired my first B&O - a very original Beo 1000 stereo (record deck, amp/radio black key, Nef speakers(look like period B&O in some of the photos on this site?) and cassette deck. I've a photo of all this kit but not sure how to upload (if that is interesting to anyone).

I plugged it all in and can't get any sound out of anything! Am I missing something very stupid? I've been told it is working but I don't have any instructions so I have just plugged it all in. I have a few questions, I can't believe how much i like it already!

1 Speaker wires - there are 4 ports which should the speakers plug into?

2 Is there a master mute for everything ?

3 The receiver has a light on so think it is working. There is no static or anything whilst tuning. The stereo light came on in one position which makes me think it is picking something up that i can't hear. I fitted an aerial wire from another stereo into the aerial port and still nothing.

4 So I tried the record deck.  I cannot find a master on / off! I expected the turntable to turn but it does not. Do you need to set the record on the amp before it knows it's on? Does it matter which line in the deck is plugged into? I know some amps have a more sensitive setting for record. 

Many thanks getting into this B&O gear!

Roger

• 02-07-2008 8:34 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: original Beo 1000 new to me and not working but supposed to be!

Roger,

Welcome to Beoworld !

Nice system you got there !

1 Speaker wires - there are 4 ports which should the speakers plug into?

You decide, there are connectors for two pairs. You would want to connect to f.e. speakers 1 (left and right).

2 Is there a master mute for everything ?

There are two speaker switches which is probably the reason for the missing sound, They are the ones nearest to the power key and handles each their pair of speakers. If you connected the speakers as set 1, the speakers 1 key must be down to allow sound to the speakers.

3 The receiver has a light on so think it is working. There is no static or anything whilst tuning. The stereo light came on in one position which makes me think it is picking something up that i can't hear. I fitted an aerial wire from another stereo into the aerial port and still nothing.

Probably because of the speaker switches or you have the volume control all the way down.

4 So I tried the record deck.  I cannot find a master on / off! I expected the turntable to turn but it does not. Do you need to set the record on the amp before it knows it's on? Does it matter which line in the deck is plugged into? I know some amps have a more sensitive setting for record. 

If this is a Beogram 1000, it will start rotating the platter when you lift the tonearm out of its holder and place it over the lead-in groove of the record. The tonearm will raise/lower using the control at the front of the tonearm holder. There are two phono inputs on the Beomaster 1000. Which one to use depends on whether your Beogram has a built-in preamplifier or not. Go easy with the volume control and use trial and error to determine

We like photos very much. When posting, click the "options" tab and then click "Add/Update" to browse and upload a photo file of max 100Kb.

Hope this helps ! 

Martin

• 02-07-2008 9:56 AM In reply to

Martin

Thanks I will try later the Beogram with a record on.

I think I worked out the two slide switches relates to rear speakers sockets but not quite how.

Also managed to attach image! 

Roger

• 02-20-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

Hi All

Quick update we've got the following now:
    1 AMp/tuner works on radio and tape functions but Radio output is very low and on left side port only. By that I mean the paired speaker outputs only work on the socket to the left (when viewing from the front).

Note : The aerial double outlet is connected to old mains cable to act as FM aerial which may not help but this would not affect the single speaker output!

2 Cassette deck works very well. Speaker output from the one speaker is normal. (Tape deck On/off button doesn't work but will dismantle to solve that.)

3 Record deck needs opening up. No noise or action from moving arm no further idea why not working.

Was wondering from other threads if these are common problems and whether it is worth pursuing repair. I would like to test and change components as think it's such a waste to junk because it must be repairable unlike more modern equipment.

Many thanks

Roger

• 02-20-2008 7:45 AM In reply to

Another:

1 AMp/tuner works on radio and tape functions but Radio output is very low and on left side port only. By that I mean the paired speaker outputs only work on the socket to the left (when viewing from the front).

3 Record deck needs opening up. No noise or action from moving arm no further idea why not working.

1 This might be just oxidized connections somewhere. In Beomaster 1000, the stereo decoder is on a separate board and there's a connector to the rest of the machine. Does the sound alter at all if you press the "mono" key?

3  might be just a missing or bad belt. I believe the motor itself is so silent that you wouldn't hear it spinning from outside the machine, even if it started just fine. (Or is Beogram 1000 an idler wheel machine? I've never looked inside one).

But I'm sure all these problems can be sorted out!

-mika 

-mika

• 02-20-2008 9:00 AM In reply to

1 sound alter with mono key ? - yes although whether it is both channels can't really tell. will check this further which is stereo decoder board inside?

2 don't know either pretty sure it has not been messed about with - it was in storage so will have a look inside

sorry if being naive  - just venturing around Beoworld so not sure where to look for manuals or diagrams etc...

thanks for post mika

roger

• 02-20-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Another:

just venturing around Beoworld so not sure where to look for manuals or diagrams etc...

Roger, you need to be a Silver or Gold member to download the manuals. They are located under products on the home page, the service manual for the Beomaster 1000 is there.

CraigSmile also a Beomaster 1000 owner.

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)