in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-07-2008 2:49 PM by a2bur. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2008 5:42 PM

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Help! Newbie Beomaster 5500 Questions...

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Beomaster 5500 & a Beogram 5005 as my first B&O purchases and was wondering...

Question 1.

Is there any way to control the volume on the actual beomaster unit?? it might sound silly, but I figured that there would a be some controls on the front panel (other tha  the power + mute + preset).

It's just that I was silly enough to not buy one that include a remote, and although I will be buying one, I was hoping that I could use it in the meantime.

I guess I'll need to buy one of those beolink 1000's? 

Question 2.

What (Cheap! I a pretty broke after buying these) speakers would you recommend between $150 - $300?

I've been looking on ebay and I can get some B&O redlines for that + a few others.

Or should I just stick with something off brand (as I guess it gives more options).

Anyway, thanks for helping a complete B&O newbie! It's a learning experience. I didn't even realise that it use din connections for the speakers until after I bought it, so have just nabbed some of those.

Cheers

Kris 

• 02-06-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Re: Help! Newbie Beomaster 5500 Questions...

Sorry, my wireless keyboard is playing up so lots of typo's!
  • 02-06-2008 5:58 PM In reply to

You need a remote! Stupid , isn't it! The original Beomaster 5000 has a flip down panel with controls on it. You really need a MCP5500 as then you can program it. Red Lines are fine though any speakers are fine in the short term. It is a 55W amplifier so bear than in mind. I would offer you some speakers on loan but I think you are in the US!
  • 02-06-2008 5:59 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Kris and welcome to the forum.
    You can use pretty much any speakers in that master, 8 ohms is reccommended.
    There is a safety cut out if you over load it with too many or the wrong speakers, so you won't damage anything.
    If you are in the UK, I can lend you a Beolink 1000.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-06-2008 6:11 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If only the BM5000 responded to the "modern" codes and worked with active speakers - it is operational from the front panel (as you would like), it has a better amplifier (for passive speakers) than the 5500, the 5000 casette player is up there with the best (although behind the 8000 and 9000), the radial arm deck is, debatably better than the tangential  versions however the CD5500 is probably a better "modern" CD player than the CD50 (although many prefer the CD50's "analogue" type sound). The CD5500 does have a digital output if ever you can land a pair of BL5's.

Can you tell I've got a 5000 systemLaughing As I  use it as a stand alone audio system, without B&O TV or any othe "link" products it would be my choice of the stacking systems. It is the oldest however and you need to take this into account - on the other hand I have had mine from new (~1984), it's still fantastic and I wouldn't swap it for the worldBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-06-2008 10:27 PM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    You need a remote! Stupid , isn't it! The original Beomaster 5000 has a flip down panel with controls on it. You really need a MCP5500 as then you can program it. Red Lines are fine though any speakers are fine in the short term. It is a 55W amplifier so bear than in mind. I would offer you some speakers on loan but I think you are in the US!

Aha! You see, I'd looked at photo's of 5000's and had seen the flip down panel, and figured that the 5500 would be exactly the same (as it looks the same externally) . Bugger. I guess I'll need an mcp then. I got an okayish deal on it but wish I'd spent the extra $50 for one with a controller now.

I've also just noticed that the "Loudness" setting is permanently on and read a little thing about getting the right controller to turn that off so I think I'm gonna go straight for the MCP.

I'm actually from England (Bucks + london) but moved to the states a couple of years ago, but thanks so much for the offer (you too jandyt!) very generous of you. If I was in the UK still the it would be very appreciated.

I've just found that there is a B&O dealer less than an hour away in Atlanta so might have to check it out.

I have noticed that the B&O name really isn't well known here...

Thanks everyone for your help! 

• 02-07-2008 7:11 AM In reply to

• krisb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-29-2008
    • Athens, Georgia, USA
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Another remote question..

You were saying Peter that I need an mcp to program, do you mean to input radio station presets? Can the beolink 1000 not do this at all? (just that I've found one going fairly cheaply)
  • 02-07-2008 9:15 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Another remote question..

No you don't need the MCP to programme radio stations, this can be done using a Beolink 1000. You MUST have an ariel attached before you try or you won't have a hope. Let us know when you get a remote and we'll go through the process with you - it isn't straigtforward but easy enough when you've done it once.

Ah - the loudness setting. This is a bit of a problem and can be cancelled with either a MCP or the correct beolink 1000. The thing with it is it can be activated with ANY beolink 1000 but can only be turned off using a MK1 or 2 with the reset button. The MK3's & beyond don't have this button so cannot do this as the keypad layout is different with some different functions.

The MCP is a must to take advantages of all the extra features such as timer programming if this is important to you.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-07-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

The 5500 was my first Beo system as well. I still use it every day. Nowadays I use s80.2 speakers in the main room and cx50 in a link room. I am quite satisfied with the s80.2, after refoaming them. You can get these speakers pretty cheap from ebay, you probably need to refoam them. However, also the cheaper redlines will probably need some care before any action. I think the s80.2 produces good sound quality compared to their price. The s45 (the early versions) are also very nice speakers compared to their price. You should consider buying a master control link unit such as the mcl 2a. Then you can enjoy the system in more than one room.

• 02-07-2008 1:36 PM In reply to

On that note, if anyone wants a new MCL2A, you need to order it tomorrow! Obsolete after that!

• 02-07-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

Puncher:

If only the BM5000 responded to the "modern" codes and worked with active speakers - it is operational from the front panel (as you would like), it has a better amplifier (for passive speakers) than the 5500, the 5000 casette player is up there with the best (although behind the 8000 and 9000), the radial arm deck is, debatably better than the tangential  versions however the CD5500 is probably a better "modern" CD player than the CD50 (although many prefer the CD50's "analogue" type sound). The CD5500 does have a digital output if ever you can land a pair of BL5's.

Can you tell I've got a 5000 systemLaughing As I  use it as a stand alone audio system, without B&O TV or any othe "link" products it would be my choice of the stacking systems. It is the oldest however and you need to take this into account - on the other hand I have had mine from new (~1984), it's still fantastic and I wouldn't swap it for the worldBig Smile

You can use the Beolink 1000 to operate the 5000 but you need the conversion kit , it works well and doesn't disable the mcp5000 , an ir. converter box plugs into the speaker sockets and you get an ir. receiver eye that can be placed anywhere convenient . Got one packed away with my 5000 , they do come up on Ebay but not often .

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)