in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2008 9:26 PM by Munin. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2008 8:39 AM

Beo 4 and apple remote

Anybody succeeded to use the Beo4 rather than the apple remote?

I have updated the IR table in my Beovision 6 but unfortunately when I select the ipod remote the apple remote nothing is working.

• 01-31-2008 9:08 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beo 4 and apple remote

Hi Sebastien 

I have had all the newest PUC-software  (iPod Remote, iPod Dock and Apple Remote) installed in my BV7-40 Mark III. Neither works. The Beo servicepeople have no idea. They have tried to get some help from Denmark but with no success. Suprisingly some people here claim that they have been able to control the Apple TV with Beo4. No one has however been able to reveal the secret. Either there are faulty PUC-software in circulation - or is the software specific to subsets of B&O-hardware. I have tried to raise this issue a couple of times now, both here, with B&O and with B&Os technical staff. At the moment I have given up with the sad conclusion that Bang & Olufsen are not very good at computer programming. I hope things will change in the future. Furthermore, previously (using Lintronic software) it was quite hard to acheive smooth scrolling with Beo4 (something that works perfectly with the Apple Remote and which is needed for long playlists). I doubt that this would work flawlessly with any B&O PUC-software. Hope I'm wrong here. For now I think that Beo4 is no option. Take a look at Soundproofs fantastic post on how to use the iPhone as a remote. The iPhone is way ahead of Beo5 (and of course Beo4). There is no chance that Beo will come up with something similar in the near future. The Serenata? Well - they had their chance ...

/M 

• 02-01-2008 11:48 AM In reply to

My dealer came by today in upgrade the STB list of my BV7-40mkIII; unfortunately he was unable to get the appletv to work, but when he had left I did some testing myself. Luckily I have a Lintronic device, so with codelearn I looked at the codes that were transmitted.

So, eventually setup that works for me:

SW version menu says: 05.02b for STB TABLE

AppleTV is connected to AV3 via HDMI

I've put the source under the V.MEM button (PC works to, but V.MEM is quicker on the BEO4)

Selected STB and then "iPod Remote" from the STB list (by the way "Apple Appleremote" does not work; the Lintronic device can't then even decode the IR as NEC codes, which the appleremote is normally sending; "iPod Dock" can be decoded, but doesn't work) 

The BEO4 control works with up/down/left/right, Go, Exit, Stop.

And the good news: even fast scroll works !!!!! 

• 02-01-2008 11:25 PM In reply to

I've had an Apple TV controlled y Beo4 via Lintronic since April of last year with flawless operation.

Smooth fast scrolling is nearly impossible because of the manner in which Apple has implemented fast scroll. Perhaps at some future date, Apple will release an SDK so that we can more easily tweak the ATV software. In this manner we would be able to define an alternative IR code for fast scroll rather than the Apple "progressively faster" scroll.

I sure hope B&O figures the problem out. If not, just run out and uy a Lintronic, the little magic box.

• 02-02-2008 9:09 AM In reply to

B&O has figured it out; I currently can control my appleTV using just my Beo4 and BV7. And the "fast scroll", or "progressively faster" scroll as you call it works too.

• 02-02-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

kjeld2:

Are you now able to control the appleTV using the Beo4 directly? or using  a Lintronic box?

• 02-03-2008 2:04 AM In reply to

I can confirm controlling AppleTV with Lintronic. All functions work, except fast scroll.
  • 02-03-2008 5:16 AM In reply to

Sebastien:

Yes, I'm now able to control the appleTV using the Beo4 directly.

I'm NOT using the Lintronic box.

And YES, fast scroll works. 

• 02-03-2008 5:04 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

kjeld2:
    Sebastien:

Yes, I'm now able to control the appleTV using the Beo4 directly.

I'm NOT using the Lintronic box.

And YES, fast scroll works. 

Kjeld,

What can I say ... congratulations!!

But - as you might have noticed - we are a few unlucky fellows with no beo4-AppleTV-luck. I have followed every advice given in this community, had B&O technicians visit me twice ... but ... it simply does not work. Is there any hidden trix that you left out from your description? 

There seems to be one difference. I had AppleRemote, Ipod Remote and Ipod Dock installed. Apple Remote ended up under "Set Top Box" but iPod Remote and iPod Dock is in the group "Other". Could this be an important point?

/Munin

• 02-04-2008 5:12 AM In reply to

I just tried that, I go into "other" and pick ipod remote, still can't control it with Beo4 or 5.

I also have appletv with BV7 III 

• 02-04-2008 8:25 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

aweicc:

I just tried that, I go into "other" and pick ipod remote, still can't control it with Beo4 or 5.

I also have appletv with BV7 III 

It is now very clear that, despite the detailed descriptions posted herein, a few of us can and others can't control the Apple TV with B&Os remote controls (neither Beo5 nor Beo4). Could there be two versions of BV7-40 Mark III? Does it have anything to do with US-version of Beosystem 3 and European version?  

Some more observations from my own setup:

PUC-software Apple appleremote (it's actually called that!), does not work (the led on the Apple TV does not blink while pressing any of the keys on the Beo4). The same situation with  iPod Remote. The only PUC-software that gives some sort of response is the iPod Dock. Here the LED is blinking when some of the keys (GO, down arrow,) are pressed. But still - it does not work.

Furthermore, setting the resolution of the Apple TV to 1080i works if Apple appleremote is used. On the other hand, when iPod remote is chosen the display goes black. It comes to life again if the 720p is selected.

Well ... the story goes on ... any smart ideas are most wellcome. After all - my HD Cable box was a breeze. Why is this so complicated?

/M 

PS Kjeld wrote "SW version menu says: 05.02b for STB TABLE" ... where do you find this info? 

• 02-04-2008 2:52 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

This topic has been discussed at least once before.

Here is another thread:

Maybe it can be helpful to someone.

/M 

• 02-04-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

Munin:
    Also in my case the "Apple appleremote" does not work; the fact that, like you say, the LED on the Apple TV does not blink while pressing any of the keys on the Beo4 is backed up by my test of having the Lintronic device decode the Infrared code in CodeLearn mode; it too doesn't think that the IR code is an apple remote in this setup.

This leaves the "iPod Remote" and the "iPod Dock". In both cases the Lintronic device says these configs are sending DEC IR code; same as a real Apple remote. I'll see if it is possible to compare the 2 configs using the Lintronic device for standard buttons like up arrow, GO, etc.

But perhaps it's related to the SW versions of the BV7-40mkIII.
    So here's the stuff I get from the Customer Service Menu under SW VER:
    H8 SW: 03.50a
    H8 BOOTLOADER: 01.10a
    IOP SW: 23.00a
    M2 SW: 03.10a
    STAT DISP SW: 02.00a
    M2 STB TABLE: 05.02b
    PW STB TABLE: 05.02b
    DSM DSP SW: 03.00a
    DSM FEP SW: 03.10a
    DVD FEP SW: 01.10a
    AVS FEP SW: 03.10a
    DVE FEP SW: 03.40a
    PW SW: 03.70a
    PW BOOTLOADER: 01.00a
    DVE FPGA SW: 02.50a
    PIN FEP SW: 01.30a

aweicc:
    In my setup I selected iPod Remote under SET-TOP BOX. When I go to OTHER, I can't select iPod Remote (it's not there). Under OTHER I only see iPod Dock. Both Apple Appleremote and iPod Remote are only visible under SET-TOP BOX.
    So it looks like there is something different in your STB list.
  • 02-04-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

kjeld2:
    aweicc:
    In my setup I selected iPod Remote under SET-TOP BOX. When I go to OTHER, I can't select iPod Remote (it's not there). Under OTHER I only see iPod Dock. Both Apple Appleremote and iPod Remote are only visible under SET-TOP BOX.
    So it looks like there is something different in your STB list.

Kjeld

Thanx a lot ... I'll check my SW version (if I can figure out how to extract that info ;-)

Regarding iPod Remote. I also have both iPod Remote and iPod Dock filed under OTHER, and only Apple appleremote under SET-TOP BOX.

/Munin 

• 02-04-2008 3:44 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Kjeld ... Indeed I found differences !!!

This is from the SW Version Menu on my BV740 MKIII 

H8 SW: 03.30a

STAT DISP SW 01.10a

M2 STB TABLE 05.27b

PW STB TABLE 05.27b

DVE FEP SW 03.20a

PW SW 03.30a

PIM FEP SW 1.20a

Do you think this is the solution?

/M 

• 02-04-2008 5:56 PM In reply to

Munin: I assume the STB TABLE version number is the version of the STB list. So looks like yours is newer than mine (assuming your higher number means newer). That doesn't tell us anything about the iPod Dock/iPod Remote STB entry though. Second difference is the location where the iPod Dock/iPod Remote entries are selectable. With my BV7 it's in the SET-TOP BOX menu, with yours it's in the OTHER menu.

So I guess questions that only B&O is able to answer.

The only thing I can add to complete the story is how I got my version of the STB list. My dealer came by to upgrade the STB list, but was unable to do so using the latest B&O service tool; apparently the BV7-40mkIII and BV8 use a newer version of the B&O service tool. So, what my dealer did is use the old B&O service tool and acted as if my BV7-40 was a beosystem 3.

• 02-04-2008 9:26 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Thanx Kleld for all valuable comments.

Let's hope B&O follows this forum.

Bugfree software on my wishlist! 

/Munin 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)