in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2008 2:08 PM by Piaf. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2008 4:16 PM

Absolute beginner needs help

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at buying a beogram as i'm moving out and getting my own place. I've been looking on a certain auction site for a while and am in love with the beauty, simplicity and quality of the beagrams, specifically the tangential models like the 4000, 4004, 6000 etc.

My problem is that I am a complete novice and am bamboozled by many of the references sellers make to things like RIAAs, out of production styluss and other things. I have some embarrasingly naive questions to ask, I'd really appreciate your help.

1) Can i play a beogram tangential through a normal high quality amp and speakers or do i need a full B&O system?

2) What other things to I need to be aware of when buying a second hand beogram?

3) What is the best place to buy used beogram turntables?

4) How can I make sure i'm not ripped off when it comes to the value of one of these wonderful machines?

• 01-30-2008 4:23 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Absolute beginner needs help

Hi Hamina and welcome to Beoworld.
    I am not best placed to advise you however I do know that it is not neccessary to have a B&O system but if you want remote control you do.
    I think Peter will be along shortly to advise.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-30-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

Welcome to Beoworld!

No question is naive so happy to offer any assistance!

1. Yes, you can use any amplifier. These can be divided into two categories though. Those with a dedicated recored player input and those without.Record players usually have a much lower output than other sources and not only that but they don't even produce a level output over the frequencies - hence the need for a pre-amplifier that equalises  and boosts the output. Amplifiers with a dedicated record player input have this built in. Those that don't either need a record player with one built in (the Beogram 6000 has one for an odd reason!) or an external one.

2. It probably won't be perfect - that is why they are selling it!! The most expensive bit will be a new cartridge.

3. If you can find a Beoworld member to sell you one, that would be the best as he will an enthusiast. Look for a high post count to make sure he is a regular! However the majority of Beograms can be found on eBay. Another possibility is to contact Lee and ask if he can find you one. More expensive, but it will be a good one!

4. Condition is everything! I would strongly suggest seeing before you buy or at least picking it up personally - the 4000 series does not travel well!  

• 01-30-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

Thanks for your quick response! And forgot to say on the original post but thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out
  • 01-30-2008 6:33 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If you would let us now where you are based (country will do), maybe someone near you can help you to a good Beogram.

Martin

• 01-30-2008 10:59 PM In reply to

Hello there

Like many on the Beoworld site I have been interested in getting hold of a Beogram in great condition for years. The reality is with Ebay it is pot luck unless you know a seller well to ensure you are not ripped off, also as Peter said once its in the post you can only hope for luck. You may see on site that some Beoworlders have travelled a good distance to collect in person. I have had Beograms off ebay and private shops and also collected, I think the enthusiast's with a genuine interest know how to deal with them especially when it comes to packing. I have tended to buy damaged goods with the view to repairing but that can be quite time consuming and without knowledge you can make matters worse.

If you are looking for a good Beogram that is great to listen on most amps and also stunning to look at I would ask beoworld members, they do come up for sale on site and i would say you would have a far better chance of a good one on there. Some of the older models Beogram 4000 series onwards do need a good deal of care as we are talking 30 odd years of use, componets like capacitors do wear out and the tone arm sensor assembly can need a fair amount of attention to get them tracking well. You will get good advice on Beoworld in any case if you go for one.

Cheers

Kev

• 01-31-2008 4:07 AM In reply to

I'm based in the UK in and around the Peterborough area.

There are several good looking tangential beograms on ebay at the moment.....i'm scared!!!

• 01-31-2008 4:12 AM In reply to

It's a hit and miss buying older B&O.

Any auction site avaible has the same pitfalls.

The tangial players are great when the work 100% right and looks good with no scratches etc.

The thing not to overlook is the electronic is at least 20 years old! This causes strange things to tangial players.

Just look through this forum for instance.

My Beogram 8002 were basically dead and if it was not for Dillen here it would not be working as new.

Another thing is when you do find a working one it will need service sooner or later if it never had anything done up till then.

For any Beogram this is the right place for finding help as the B&O shops cost to much, don't repair it right or won't have anything to do with it.

My Beogram experience began with 1203 radial player which played well. I still got it but the 8002 is working as the main player.

Then a radial 2000 (mid '80's)came up for sale and I went to have a look. It worked fine so I bought it. The next 3 years were faultless. 

Since I had a BC9000 I decided to try to complete the 8000 system and found a lot of BM6000,BC8000 and BG8002 on a auction site.

The BG8002 arm moved 1-2 times and got stuck. Long story short I finally got Dillen to fix it and now it works 100% right.

In december I found a white edition system 6000 on Lauritz.com. It included a Beogram 6006 which had a nearly new original mmc20en on it. Slightly few faults and still celuid tacho disc! I managed to get it to play and the arm moves fine.

Tacho discs if celuid disingrate with time. These are found on Beogram 8000 and Beogram 6006 among others.

So if the speed is slipping the tacho disc is bad. Dillen has made reproduktions and its the only way to get hold one really.

My theory is that the older B&O stuff that comes up are mostly put up for sale since its not working or needs repairs.

• 01-31-2008 5:21 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

hamina1:

I'm based in the UK in and around the Peterborough area.

There are several good looking tangential beograms on ebay at the moment.....i'm scared!!!

Laughing

It can be scary out there, don't panic though if you aren't sure of the model and its compatability just ask and we'll help you out. I agree with other posts here though, they don't travel well in the post so collection is easily the best.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-31-2008 5:32 AM In reply to

Hi, I just thought I would give you the benefit of my experiences in purchasing and owning B&O turntables. 

Firstly, keep in mind I live in the USA and all events have occurred here. 

The first unit was a Beogram RX-2, a beautifully designed radial arm player that I bought with a BM3000 system from an antiques store.  After much fussing I finally figured out that I needed a new cartridge, which when you do the research, will cost you 150 US dollars for the least expensive one from Soundsmith.  But once I set the player up (alas, I still couldn't get it working with the B&O system, I needed some hard to find connectors) on a much cheaper system using RCA plugs, I still got the most fantastic sound from my old vinyl. 

A bought a second player on ebay (USA version).  This was a BG3000, very sleek and cool, using a tangential tracking arm.  This one came with an original MMC5 cartridge.THis one had a pin connector plug that fit directly into my original 3000 system.  What a dream!!   A light touch on the buttons and I get a rich, sensuous sound, especially through my RL140 speakers!!  I though I paid a reasonable price, the seller sent the player well packed, and the unit was in immaculate condition. 

I got a third turntable also on ebay, this time for my girlfriend.  She's a designer and she loved the elegant simplicity of the BM1700.  We bid and paid just over 100 US dollars plus shipping.  Opening the well packed box revealed a turntable that was a little dirty, the veneer chipped and slightly peeling.  When I tried actually playing a record, I found the speed buttons weren't working properly, 45 speed instead of 33 and random taps of either button to get the correct speed.  Girlfriend said she could live with it, but it shows, there is nothing like seeing the real thing before buying. 

What have I learned?  The best way to pruchase a Beogram is to go and see and test one before you buy.  Barring that, if you buy on ebay make sure to check that person's credentials, and only bid on one that the seller takes great care to describe and photograph, otherwise he just wants to unload a piece of equipment he doesn't understand. Lastly, remember, B&O cartridges are expensive, but worth every penny when you finally put all the ingredients together and you hear that magnificent sound.  John Y

• 01-31-2008 12:53 PM In reply to

A great post John. I've benefitted from this too. Thank you. Cool
  • 02-03-2008 8:54 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

I've tended to not believe a thing the seller says about the mechanical condition of the equipment, and just accept that it will need work.

IMHO, buying a unit in GOOD cosmetic condition, and unknown or poor mechanical condition, will usually get you the best deal.

There is enough expertise on this site which can either repair, or help you to repair, the mechanical condition to better-than-new.

Here's a 4002 for sale right now, probably in poor mechanical condition

Ebay Item # 160205099123

He copied everything from the BeoWorld site, and didn't say a thing about this particular unit's condition.

So I complimented him on his perjury, and asked him some pertinent questions.

He replied as follows: "It's being sold as is and I have never used so I do not know its operating condition. I do not own a tape to test and can only tell you the indicator lights work and the motor runs."

TAPE??? Yeah, right!

All my used B&O equipment has been bought from sellers who were cagey in their descriptions, but the price was right. With the help of more experienced members here, my labors brought them to better-than-new restored condition, done the right way. 

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 02-03-2008 2:08 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

I purchased three Beograms on eBay (4000, 4002, & 4004) and I have learned form past mistakes.

First never buy anything, electronics especially where the seller has one photo and a grainy one at that. The more detailed pictures the better. Look for photos of  EVERY angle.  

Then ask the seller questions PRIOR to making a bid. A good seller will answer all your questions promptly. If not, take a pass. If they don’t respond well prior to the sale you can imagine how unhelpful they will be after they have your money.

Next it is better to deal with a knowledgeable seller. A seller that says I brought this at a church sale and I don’t know anything about it should be avoided.

There are exceptions to these guidelines. I purchased my truly wonderful Beogram 4004 from a seller who did indeed buy it at a church sale and even pictured it on eBay with the platter upside-down. However, this seller responded exceptionally well to my questions and I could tell that he was honest. (He was.)

Lastly, packaging…. A VERY important item. Never let the seller say they have the original box and ship a Beogram in it and all will be fine. It won’t! The Beogram needs to be wrapped in plastic for protection, AND THEN placed in the B&O Styrofoam and into the B&O box. Once secured the B&O box needs to be placed within a larger box, with lots of padding. If you have it packed this way, it will likely arrive in one piece.

It is also imperative that the platter be removed and packed separately. My Beogram 4002 was shipped in the original box alone, with the platter in the slot in the Styrofoam…. Then the box was slammed upside-down in transit and the platter dropped on the dustcover. The amount of damage that platter did to the dustcover was amazing.

The arms must also be secured for safety.

Good luck with your purchase. As Peter and Martin have told you, finding a Beogram from a BeoWorld member would be best, or at least locally. You might pay a small premium, but you’ll get a good deck.

Unless you purchase from an enthusiast you can anticipate your acquisition will require lubrication, which after 30 years is turning to sludge. Also the stylus is going to be in question. Just about every seller says their needle was inspected and tested. Inspected with what and tested by whom?

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)