in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-30-2007 9:51 AM by badgerhill. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-27-2007 11:30 AM

Confused B&O newbie, please help! - Beocenter 5000

Hi 

I'm new to all this so please forgive my ignorance!

I've just inherited an old Beocenter 5000, but have no idea how to attach any speakers as rather than the usual red and black connectors it has strange (to me!) plugs. Can anyone shed any light on how I can get suitable connectors / speaker cable? Also can I even use non-B&O speakers?

Very confused... please help!

Best wishes
    Mike
    Filed under:
  • 04-27-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: Confused B&O newbie, please help! - Beocenter 5000

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

The speaker connections are made with Din 2 plugs which are pretty standard.

If you have a Maplins (I'm assuming you're in the UK) they will have them in either a screw or solder format.

You can use any speakers that are rated for the center but B&O will usually sound better than anything out there depending on which you get the CX100's are a nice small speaker for this unit. Have a look at the product guide on the main site.

Then off you goYes 

cheers,

Kevin 

• 04-27-2007 11:47 AM In reply to

Hi 

Thanks for the advice! I'll pop off to Maplin now and start saving for some B&O speakers!

Cheers
    Mike
  • 04-27-2007 4:30 PM In reply to

Any speakers will do - B&O speakers are not necessarily better. The BM5000 is a good amplifier and will drive most speakers well.
  • 04-27-2007 5:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I swear by Bowers & Wilkins speakers. Get yourself a pair of B&W speakers off ebay, and you CANNOT go wrong. I have yet to hear a pair of B&W speakers that don't impress me, even back to the DM1. I have several pairs of B&Ws, and they give many modern hi-end B&O speakers a good run for their money when used with my Beosystem!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-27-2007 6:17 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Just to add my own tuppennorth'

When wiring the 2 pin DIN plugs, the small round post is the positive side of the speaker cable and the flat spade is the negative.

I agree with Kevin re: the CX100's especially if space is an issue but a lot of these will suffer with foam rot of the bass & mid range drivers. If space is no problem then any of the 'S' series from the S40's upwards are excellent speakers (which I personally prefer to the CX range) and a good cosmetic match. Try to find some with the original stands if possible as they really help the sound stage - and look pretty damned cool. The added bonus is they can be bought for peanuts although they are almost certain to also suffer with foam rot around the bass drivers but this isn't too difficult to put right if you have good DIY skills and patience. Some of the 'S' series speakers had rubber driver surrounds - the S60's spring to mind here - so don't have this problem.

If you're intent on buying B&O speakers then please feel free to ask for advice if you come across any likely candidates.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-27-2007 6:39 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

And I thought we were keen on B&O Embarrassedexcuse the bias. Yes there are plenty of speakers out there that will perform well and possibly better than B&O but the systems were designed to work with B&O speakers so why not use them.
  • 04-27-2007 7:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Kevin:
    And I thought we were keen on B&O Embarrassedexcuse the bias. Yes there are plenty of speakers out there that will perform well and possibly better than B&O but the systems were designed to work with B&O speakers so why not use them.

Exactly right KevinWink

B&O have always designed products that will integrate seamlessly from era to era so why upset the rhythm?

And Alex - yes we all know that B&W make very good speakers but making sweeping statements that implies this is the only road to take is really just expressing your own personal opinions in a very unhelpful and blinkered manner.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-28-2007 2:21 AM In reply to

Laughing But Beoworld would be a different place without hugely generalised sweeping statements from Alex! Kevin and Chris are correct that B&O speakers are designed to work with the Beocenters and are well worth looking at. I am aware however that you are probably on a budget and hence my advice. Long term, a nice pair of S45-2s would be a good choice or S75s if you want more bass. Both can be obtained cheaply.
  • 04-28-2007 2:48 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Peter:
    Any speakers will do - B&O speakers are not necessarily better. The BM5000 is a good amplifier and will drive most speakers well.

"You can use any speakers that are rated for the center "

• 04-30-2007 9:51 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the replies!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)