in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2008 5:36 AM by js. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-29-2008 12:31 PM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Avant: which version is best here?

Dear all,

I intend to move my MX to the study and to buy a new TV for the lounge. Because in my opinion the Avant has a better picture quality than the current LCD and plasma Beovisions (well, this is just a preference, I don't want to pretend this is a fact), I intend to buy a late version of the Avant RF 100 Hz. And I need some piece of advice.

First a few considerations:
    - I am in Belgium, so I need a version which works here;
    - I don't need a very large screen, so it can be either 32 or 28;
    - I can use an external DVD or Blu Ray player, so it can be with or without a built-in DVD player (but I don't want a VCR version);
    - I currently have analogue cable TV connected to RF, but this service is going to be discontinued by my service provider, so I will need to use a STB (I don't know which one yet, as I am not familiar with this technology yet) which I absolutely want to control with my Beo4.

Now the question is which one should I get: Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28 DVD or Avant 28 CTV? Which type or serial Nr?

Have these versions different chassis and connectivity? Any preferred version to use with a STB? I remember that BV3 32 and 28 are very different: is it the case for the three versions mentioned above?

Also, Peter once wrote that one should check the length of time the TV has been used: how do you do that and when do you think it has been used for too long?

Many thanks in advance for your advice. Kind regards, Jean-Sebastien

• 01-29-2008 1:09 PM In reply to

Re: Avant: which version is best here?

Jean-Sebastien,

In my view, if you intend to purchase an AVANT you should go for a 32" DVD version which is Type numbers 844X for the Mark I version and the EU version (Non UK) is Type 8446. The Mark II version is 845X. These two versions use the same software.

The Mark III version of the AVANT 32" DVD is type number is 846X and in Belgium you would need a Type 8460 as you use PAL B/G

The Mark III used a different chassis to the previous two versions and provided a few extra functions and teh DVD was changed.

When it comes to determining how much a TV has been used, the Beovision keeps counters which you can view via the "Service Menu", to get to the Service Menu on an AVANT press MENU on the beo4, then moving down to SETUP on the screen. When you are in the SETUP menu type 0 0 then OK

Regards Keith....

• 01-30-2008 3:56 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

keith,

Thank you for this useful information. It is always a pleasure to read your posts.

I am so free to come with some more detailed questions:

- Is there any quality/functions/connections/STB-control difference between an Avant 28 RF CRT and a 28 RF DVD?

- Is there any such difference between an Avant 28 RF DVD and a 32 RF DVD?

- Which are the advantages of the 32 RF DVD Mk III chassis compared to 32 RF DVD Mk I and II?

- I want to use such Avant for a few years, it should not be a short term buy. How long a use time (see counter) do you think is reasonable, i.e. when do you recommend (not) to buy?

Thanks again for your valuable input. Best regards,

Jean-Sebastien

• 01-30-2008 4:37 AM In reply to

Jean-Sebastien,

You asked

- Is there any quality/functions/connections/STB-control difference between an Avant 28 RF CRT and a 28 RF DVD?

Answer -- Other than screen size and the components associated with it and the way the frame is constructed, not a lot certainly from a users viewpoint. One area you may wish to consider relates to the STB controller, clearly the older the AVANT you purchase, the older the STB supported boxes will be. Updating this STB chip for todays common STB's will cost around 100 Euros

- Is there any such difference between an Avant 28 RF DVD and a 32 RF DVD?

Answer -- Very little, they run both run the same software and is really as above.

- Which are the advantages of the 32 RF DVD Mk III chassis compared to 32 RF DVD Mk I and II?

Answer -- Other than having a different chassis and different software which provides some extra functions when configuration of sockets and the display will say DTV instead of SAT and things of that nature. However the key element will be supportability if you intend to keep the AVANT for a long period of time. The tube will have a lot of life left in it even if it had been used a lot. Also the dealer will be abloe to support it for longer with spares, this is thinking well ahead here.

- I want to use such Avant for a few years, it should not be a short term buy. How long a use time (see counter) do you think is reasonable, i.e. when do you recommend (not) to buy?

Answer -- Generally speaking if you purchase a Mark II or III you will generally be fine. In the Service counters there is a "Video Days" counter and if it has gone above 2000 video days, then you may wish to re-consider the purchase, however it is unlikely you will find a Mark III version anywhere near that level because it would have to have been switched on for 5.5 years without switching it off.

Conclusion

I standby my previous statements, if you can get one I would go for a Mark II or Mark III 32" DVD version

Regards Keith....

• 01-30-2008 6:05 AM In reply to

You got mail (PM)
    Just because it's mellow it doesn't mean it's less evil....
  • 01-30-2008 9:36 AM In reply to

the avant - not only the best tv bno ever made

but arguably the best EVER made ! 

popgear is grate™

• 01-30-2008 9:45 AM In reply to

I have a silver 2001 Avant CTV, not RF. Picture quality is on the TOP* and the sound is pretty good (speakers come from the BL4000).
    Plus its design is timeless*.
    A good investment that will give you a long time of pleasure.
    If you get an external DVD or blueRay player, think about getting high quality connexions (QED does a great job).

My two cents*,

Cheers,

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 01-30-2008 10:02 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Keith, thanks a lot for your detailed answers Smile Concise and to the point, as always Yes -  thumbs up

All, thanks for your input, too. Highly appreciated. 

Best regards, Jean-Sebastien

• 01-30-2008 2:00 PM In reply to

yep , the avant is so clever design wise , the floating frame idea

i wonder if they'll try that again ?

now they actually do have floating screens !!? 

popgear is grate™

• 01-31-2008 8:26 AM In reply to

What is the problem with older Avants, non RF - or non DVD - ones? No one seems to recommend those. even when he price is low.
  • 01-31-2008 9:42 AM In reply to

sinuhe:
    What is the problem with older Avants, non RF - or non DVD - ones? No one seems to recommend those. even when he price is low.

There is nothing wrong with older Avants. They are still the best TV ever produced and at just a few hundred pounds you can't go wrong.

As with all older sets just make sure that the picture is OK when you buy it as they are not economic to repair.

Regards Graham

• 01-31-2008 10:04 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Keith, all,

I read about several modules which were available for the Avant, including surround sound, anti reflex contrast screen, and set top box controller.

Was there any other module to be considered?

Which modules were fitted standard vs. as an option on the different Avant versions mentioned above (32 RF DVD Mk III vs. 28 RF DVD vs. 28 RF CRT)?

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Kind regards, Jean-Sebastien

• 02-04-2008 5:36 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Hi,

Anyone about the my two questions?

1- Is there any other module I should consider, in addition to surround, anti-reflex and STB-controller?

2- Which modules were fitted as standard/optional on 32 RF DVD Mk III, 28 FR DVD or 28 RF CRT?

Cheers, Jean-Sebastien

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)