in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-31-2008 9:14 PM by TheMajor. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2008 8:40 PM

PAL TV in a NTSC zone

OK guys, I am looking at buying a B&O TV soon. I will have to go second hand and import it to Japan.

I am considering either an avant, Beovision 3 or Beovision 6. The problem is all of these only support PAL and NTSC on AV, is there a set top box that I could use to allow me to keep using my Beo4? 

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-28-2008 9:20 PM In reply to

Re: PAL TV in a NTSC zone

The european TV that you buy will most likely not be able to control japanese cable or sat boxes via STB.

Did you consider the BV8? That will come soon to Japan I believe

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-28-2008 9:33 PM In reply to

Or you could consider buying an Avant in the USA. One recently sold on ebay for about $2,000! This will be NTSC all the way, and while it may not control a Japanese cable box, you can use a Lintronic to handle the conversion.
  • 01-29-2008 2:21 AM In reply to

Japan and the US use NTSC-M and so it will be best to purchase a US variation of the product you want if you cannot get it in Japan.

I am surprised that you cannot get what you want in Japan because they are a technology throwaway society meaning they keep a product a while, then want to get the newest version when they can.

I don't think you can consider a Beovision 6 because it was never made for the US or Japanese market, however there is a lot of opportunities with AVANT's which in my view were the best CRT TV made.

I actually think the STB controller will be less of a problem for you because if, say you purchase a US AVANT, for a small cost ($70) you can change the STB controller chip which should provide most STB's available in Japan.

Regards Keith....

• 01-29-2008 8:47 AM In reply to

I haven't seen any cheap avants in the US. Yet! But I currently have a Sony 1080p and going back to SDTV doesn't sound good to me as I love movies and have a few blu-ray but I would like Beo connectivity. I will speak to me dealer about changing the tuner to a Japanese spec but I don't think the avant was released here.

Have a PAL version isn't a big deal as I am heading back to the EU in a few years so hence a small beovision 6.

If the beovision 8 is coming out or if anyone has any info please let me know as my dealer doesn't know anything about it yet.  

• 01-29-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

Ebay has had some amazing Avant bargains. They don't come up a lot, but  their prices have really come down.

I think for $2,000 an Avant is still worth it.

• 01-29-2008 8:10 PM In reply to

I will keep an eye out but the avant is a big TV and the shipping costs will be quite high. I think I really want a beovision 6. While I am saving I will consider the avant and possibly a  BV8 if it is released in Japan.

• 01-29-2008 8:36 PM In reply to

I can't imagine the shipping fee. BV8 looks promising for us NTSC types, but I man I wish it were the BV6.
  • 01-29-2008 9:04 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Glad to hear you are planning out your stay in Japan.

You will be NTSC-M region, and B&O is well received in Japan too. You will also be.in DVD Region 2, and will need a multi-region DVD player if you are going to take European or North American DVDs to enjoy.

If you don't purchase this ahead of your trip, spend some time in Akihabara, just west of Shinjuku. This is where the majority of electronic appliance stores are located, and you can see what new technology Japan is introducing there also, a few years in advance.

• 01-30-2008 5:47 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

if you already have the 1080p screen - why not considering a US Beosystem 1 (which sells really cheap these days) or a European/US Beosystem 3? It certainly has more features than you might be looking for...but you get to use your BEO4, gives great picture and surrond sound.....

I just upgraded to a European BS3 from my previous US BS1....extremely pleased.....

Klas

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 01-30-2008 7:52 AM In reply to

SWISS 2:

Glad to hear you are planning out your stay in Japan.

You will be NTSC-M region, and B&O is well received in Japan too. You will also be.in DVD Region 2, and will need a multi-region DVD player if you are going to take European or North American DVDs to enjoy.

If you don't purchase this ahead of your trip, spend some time in Akihabara, just west of Shinjuku. This is where the majority of electronic appliance stores are located, and you can see what new technology Japan is introducing there also, a few years in advance.

I am already here, I have been for a while but the stay was only for  6 months. I have been here for just shy of two years now. Anyidea where all the pre-owned B&O is? I can only find it on Yahoo auction, some prices are ok. One guy called  English_in_Japan has a lot of stuff but the prices are a little high. 5000 pound for a AV9000 (TV only) and 2500 pound for a BV1 (LS maybe). I would buy the BV1 if the price was reasonable.

People that know B&O love it. But B&O sales not only via their own dealers but also via high class superstores. Which IS a bad thing, my dealer is a B&O store but in Shinjuku they have the B&O section in a state and a half. Beosound 1 is always dirty, no beolink on display, they didn't know what a Beo5 was and cables showing everywhere.

I am going to look it to a beosystem one now. I am just considering sticking with my Sony 40X and go for the system and pick up a new plasma after I buy a house in a few years. 

• 01-30-2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

I lived in Takodanobaba when I was there as a Grad student. B&O, and a great deal more then was off my radar financially.

I've been back for business and a few class reunions ( Waseda Daigaku ) and returned with electronics from most of those trips. Your observations about the B&O store are something new, as I found them more organized when there. The comment about cleanliness is particularly striking, given the societal mores in Japan. Too bad.

If you don't mind sharing with us,  what are you working on in your assignment to Japan ?

• 01-30-2008 8:00 PM In reply to

SWISS 2:

If you don't mind sharing with us,  what are you working on in your assignment to Japan ?

Fresh out of a British uni, I jumped on the first plane. I am a teacher at the moment. But hopefully, once my Japanese is better, I will get a real job. On a teacher salary, there is much space for B&O.

• 01-30-2008 9:28 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Gokurosama de,  Sensei !
  • 01-31-2008 7:18 AM In reply to

はい ありがとうごさいます。 スウィスさん まった れいしゅね

As you can see I don't know too much kanji. Just a hundred or so. 

• 01-31-2008 4:45 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

100 Kanji is quite good !

Romaji is very easy. Hiragana, and Katakana starts the serious studying periods. I had a problem with Kanji until I took it up an hour each day with a Sumi-e brush and a paper pad. If you can make it, and say it, you can learn it.

It seemed to me that we had some members here from, or living in Japan. Perhaps they can provide some additional B&O sources for you there.

• 01-31-2008 9:14 PM In reply to

They would be fantastic for me. I am current considering a set of speakers at the moment. I was going to get a set of 6000s second hand for 200,000 yen but I am thinking that new is the best option. I am sick of upgrading TV/stereo every year or two. That is why I love B&O, I am thinking about getting beolab 3's new instead as the difference in the new price is quite minimal (for B&O anyway). Knowing where to buy this stuff from would be a great help, but saying that, my dealer is pretty good. When I bought my beosound 1 they got me the manual in English especially for me.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)