in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-28-2008 3:35 PM by solderon29. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2008 7:41 AM

Using Beo cables (meant for low-impendance signals) with line-level?

Dear all,

I understand that, until some years ago, B&O used low-impedance (speaker-level) signals. I have such cabling (7-wire) in my house. I also understand that, nowadays, high-impendance (line-level) signals are used, in combination with active speakers. However, if the same cabling is used, and, hence, line-level signals are transferred over quite long distances, isn't there a risk that this becomes noisy?

Any thoughts/remarks appreciated - and forgive me in case my question is stupid for I'm a newbie... 

Kind regards!

• 01-28-2008 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: Using Beo cables (meant for low-impendance signals) with line-level?

Hi GuyDenruyter,

I always thought that speaker-level (= speaker link) cables had only 4 wires. Are you sure that you have 7 wires? I would not recommend to use those speaker link cables for high impedance signals. Powerlink has shielded wires for audio right/left and (separately) for data. Masterlink is more complex as it is working with differential signals for both audio and data. This allows for very long distances (300m) without loss of quality and the risk of noise while avoiding ground loops - another common problem when connecting system in different rooms. 

Hagen

• 01-28-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

MCL cable has 7 cores and this what you have. It only shields the Data channel and therefore I would be wary of using it for ML. I suppose there would be no harm in trying though! I think it likely you will get interference !
  • 01-28-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

Don't go there!!

The ML system is quite different,you are cabled for MCL.

It would be best to use current product (ML)and a ML/MCL converter,to save rewiring the house.Use MCL components in other rooms.

Regards,

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)