in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2008 1:15 PM by joeyboygolf. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2008 5:13 AM

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Should I buy... Beolab Penta

I've been offered a pair for a tad under £400. They are Penta 1's, so likely to have foam rot (I have replaced rotten foam before). They have some very small dents in the stainless, but otherwise good order.

They have been owned by an elderly female since new, and have seen little use over the years.

Does the foam rot just effect the mid-range units? Will the displays work with my BM5000?

Is this a good buy?

Cheers,

Ben.

• 01-28-2008 5:39 AM In reply to

Re: Should I buy... Beolab Penta

Foam rot only affects the mid range units but there are 8 of them! They cost around £25 each to replace.

The displays should work with the BM5000 via Speakerlink cables.

With the cost of replacement mid ranges added to frets at £80-100 per speaker only you can decide if this is a good deal or not. Personally I would wan't to buy at about half this price.

Regards Graham

• 01-28-2008 5:59 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

I would probably just change the foam surrounds. I've done several before (CX100, CX50, M75 + several none B&O speakers), so i'm not put off by that. I can get all 8 surrounds for about £40.

The seller also travels near to where I live regularly, so I don't have to worry about picking them up from miles away.

Whilst £200 for a pair of  Lab Pentas sounds better that £400, I wouldn't know where to start looking for a set that cheap!

• 01-28-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

You know you're going to get them anyway, don't youWink
    When you have got them all sorted, you will have a marvelous pair of speakers!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-28-2008 6:35 AM In reply to

Not really a bargain, but I would buy them anyway.

they are [one of] the best speakers B&O ever made.

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 02-03-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Well I took the plunge.... I should have my 'new' pentas by Friday. I don't think the price was too bad, it seems to be about what they sell for on ebay + they are being delivered to me!

Does anybody have any spare speakerlink cables, or a source of the 4 pin DIN plugs so I can make some up?

Cheers,

Ben.

• 02-03-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Ben,

Congratulations on your purchase of Penta's.  I too am looking to take the "plunge".  Sounds like you might be in the UK, as I reside in the states.  As was stated in a post to this thread, there are Penta's of every variety (1's, 2's & 3's) and in every quality level on eBay.  If you are lucky, you can find a pair of Penta 3's for around $1,000 US and less than $200 for shipping, but you have to be both patient and persistent.  I'm searching for a pair of 3's so as to avoid the whole foam rot problem that was also mentioned.  I just missed a pair in great condition, but I'll eventually get a pair.

As for your 4 pin DIN connectors, you can find hundreds of them on eBay for only a couple bucks.  Very reasonable!  Just do a simple search and you will have them in a matter of days.

Best wishes with your new purchase.

Tom

• 02-03-2008 1:15 PM In reply to

Speakerlink cables are still available from B&O. Suggest you contact your dealer.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)