in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2008 6:42 PM by Medogsfat. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2008 2:40 PM

minor scuff marks

Hi

A bit nervouse but here goes i recently purchased a pair of beolab 8000 speakers mint condition apart from some very minor scuff marks on the aluminium casing can any one tell me of a product that will help, the seller said they are anodised and can not be polished out?

Thanks Paul.

• 01-27-2008 2:48 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: minor scuff marks

The seller was correct. There is no way you will polish out a scuff on a BeoLab 8000, i can guarantee that.

If worst comes to worst, you can 're-case' the speaker, and you can buy a new 'shell' or 'casing' for the top part of the speaker from your B&O dealer or service agent.  However, if the marks are minor, i'd just learn to live with them. 90% of BeoLab 8000's i get through are slightly marked in some way or another.

Welcome to BeoWorld by the way!

Lee

Big Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 01-27-2008 2:57 PM In reply to

Thanks Lee,

The slight marks and yes they are slight are on the cone profile near the base of the speaker, thought some metal polish might help?

• 01-27-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

Hi Paul

I have been looking into ways of removing scratches from plastics etc with good results. The main problem I would imagine with your speakers is that they have such a high finnish on them. I am not sure how you would remove scratches without dulling down the fine polished look that you have. I am not sure if these speakers have a coating over the anodised surface as some have such as THE cX50S had a coating on them. I would be interested in seeing a photo of the scratches as there are materials on the market for fine scratches that also leave a higher gloss finnish, but once that anodised surface is off then its gone. I know that I have seen speakers being done again but it is very expensive. I depends on the type of scratching you have but I am interested in helping if I can.

I was recently using a very good range of polishing materials and it has helped with other situations with damage to B&O on the site.

I am not sure how putting photos on the site is but I am more than happy for you to contact me on kevinoils@hotmail.com

Ps I will look into whether the Beolabs are coated with a protective glaze over the polished anodised surface, I would be surprised if they are not.

Cheers

Kevin

• 01-27-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

Hi Kevin.

I think you may be correct there appears to be a coating over the anodisatoin i think polishing would be similar to removing clear lacre from a cars paint work it would all need to be removed polished and reapplied.

Thanks Paul.

• 01-27-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

Really, don't do it! Using metal polish on anodised aluminium is a recipe for disaster! Either replace the part (possible but not cheap), re-anodise it (ditto!) or live with it! I would suggest the latter!
  • 01-27-2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Thanks to all, and you Graham.

Thanks for the call nice to hear from you i am sure things will be ok They say the sun shines on the good, and my thoughts with you and yours.

Thanks again Paul.

• 01-27-2008 3:37 PM In reply to

Hi Paul

If these scratches are as fine as you say it may be possible to reduce these by a micro fine polishing material such as Micro-mesh on the coating, very fine scratch removal, micro amounts. This material is used to restore clarity to cockpits in aeroplanes etc, I have met with the company that produces this with the view of restoring turtable lids etc and also supplying the info to Beoworld, which I have done to a certain extent so far. I also use an optical glaze used on lenses and on jet plane widshields which makes surfaces over 200% harder as an anti scratch coating. This once applied gives a nice protective gloss and can be sprayed on and polished.

Send some pictures if you can.

Cheers

Kevin

• 01-27-2008 3:44 PM In reply to

Thanks Kevin

Have to think on that

• 01-27-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

Hi Paul

Yes I would really think about it as once its started theres no way back. I would say have a look at some of the threads by myself and Jeff. We have both been looking at ways of restoring damage and scratches are the main concern. The micro-mesh is about the best I have found so far and it is used in many proffesional applications, but I would not go there unless its essential, as I mentioned a turtable plexi glass with thirty years of damage is definatley worth doing. I can make it more aesthetically pleasing and with much better clarity but a fine finnish like you have it is a total gamble. I would take the advice of the others on site such as Peter no metal polish and perhaps leave it.

Keep me posted about what you decide to do though, its interesting stuff.

Cheers

Kev

• 01-27-2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

FYI - the 'cones' at the base of the speaker aren't that expensive!

Lee

Smile 

• 01-27-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

As kevin and Peter said the finish is likely an anodized coating with a clear lacquer over it.  This means you can't polish it out.  If you really really wanted to do the work, you could probably strip everything down to bare aluminum and then polish the bare aluminum to a mirror finish again.  I wouldn't bother unless the scratching was bad though, which from the sound of it isn't.  It would take a ton of time and arm work given the size of the speakers.  Also, You'd have to do a light repolish from time to time as the finish would gradually start to dull.  And in the end, the mirror finish would look different - probably as nice, but just different.  Just like how chrome and polished aluminum have different types of shines.  Are the scratches going into the actual mirror finish, or is it more of just a hazing on the clear coating?

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 01-29-2008 7:55 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Sorry to hijack this thread but the question is related. 

I have a pair of Lab8000 bases that have seen better days.  They are badly scuffed and one has a scratch across the top.  Does anyone know if there is a way of treating them?  I would like to restore them to something like there original condition.

Thanks

Opman

• 01-29-2008 8:25 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

When we get some in the shop that aren't 100%, we thoroughly clean them with detergent, let them dry properly overnight, scotch-brite them all over, then spray them lightly with a very high quality satin black auto paint. 

Bring them up like new, and if it's been done patiently and properly they will never peel or flake.

Lee

Yes -  thumbs up

• 01-29-2008 2:29 PM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Lee, stop giving away our secrets!!! Wink

As for 'polishing out' these scratches, wherever they are - don't do it!! It'll end in tears, no matter how good the product!!

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 01-29-2008 6:42 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Absolutely 100% right Matt.

There is no way on earth you will ever reproduce the original anodised mirror finish using any polishing agent, Anodising is not the same as polishing, it is an electrical process which changes the nature of the surface preventing oxidisation and cannot be reproduced at home. The coating mentioned on this thread is more than likey to be this surface treatment and removing it is the last thing you should be considering doing. I have seen the results of trying to polish out scratches on (anodised) mirrored panels of a BS4500 component and the results were staggeringly bad, dull black splodges where the so called polishing met with the interface of the anodising - you'll never be able to polish just the cone parts without making a pigs ear of it where they adjoin the rest of the speaker body.  B&O are regarded amongst the world leaders of aluminium technology & treatments having invested huge amounts of resources into it.

I can promise you one thing though - begin polshing and the minor scratches will very very quickly become major eyesores. Best take the advice alrady given, live with it mateSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)