in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2008 1:08 AM by Bingo. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-26-2008 3:02 PM

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Some BeoVision news

I was told today that, probably, BV8 and BV7 will be launched with new larger screens. BV8 - 40 and BV7 - 52. BC6 -23 will be discontinued.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 01-26-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Some BeoVision news

Beofan2:
    I was told today that, probably, BV8 and BV7 will be launched with new larger screens. BV8 - 40 and BV7 - 52. BC6 -23 will be discontinued.

Personally, I doubt I'd like to see a BV7-52 (LCD) screen as my current BV7-40 MKIII already struggles with SD, particularly fast-moving SD. Increase the size of the screen further and this would be even worse. I can't see anything but top-quality HD viewable on a BV7-52.

Also, why discontinue the BC6-23? It's perfect for a bedroom or an office!

• 01-26-2008 5:14 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

A BV8 - 40 seems a bit bizarre. This is the 'cheap' TV (more plastic, etc, etc), but at 40" they will presumably allow a DSS inside to make it another option for those who don't want/need a DVD player in a surround sound setup, but bit of quality different between BV7 & BV8. What they need to do is have a BV7-DVD.

Ian

• 01-26-2008 6:51 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Another thing I remembered. Didn't someone put a quote on this board stating that B&O claim that it's too difficult to make an 'excellent LCD-based television', after the recent financial report? Which was their internal reasoning for the downturn in UK sales?

If that was the case, why would they decide to produce a 52" LCD? I can't see it happening. It's speculation. If it does happen, it's going to be over £10000 (!), make average PQ look distinctly more average and, as a result, appear to be poor value for money. Everything we've been arguing against during the last few weeks!

• 01-26-2008 7:15 PM In reply to

Could be they'd put a plasma-screen in the 50" ...

But it's going to be one very big floor-standing tv. 

• 01-26-2008 8:12 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

I think the new BV4 50" is likely to be offered on BV7 stand with BL10, like an AV9000 look, nice! Also got news that BeoSound 5 is also to be offered as BeoMaster 5 and that BeoMedia 1 will be discontinued. BeoSystem 3 will finally get full HD tuners built in to match 1080 screens, this will happen later this year with retro fit an option on some later models. I want a BV9 but cant stomach paying that money if i have to then go get a box to use with it or the optional DVB modual option as it's SD.
  • 01-26-2008 10:02 PM In reply to

I think I agree with the pricing argument, the super sized BV7 would be difficult to position unless a customer prefers the design of the BV7 over BV9.

This was discussed before though, wasn't it even announced in one of the financial reports? 

That they discontinue the BC6 23 I find surprising, good non main room size (actually I would even consider it in my living room since I watch movies through a projector and do not want a TV dominate the room - the old song .....).

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-27-2008 12:01 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Beofan2:

Personally, I doubt I'd like to see a BV7-52 (LCD) screen as my current BV7-40 MKIII already struggles with SD, particularly fast-moving SD. Increase the size of the screen further and this would be even worse. I can't see anything but top-quality HD viewable on a BV7-52.

Also, why discontinue the BC6-23? It's perfect for a bedroom or an office!

The SD problem with the BV7-40 has nothing to do with the TV itself, but rather with the overcompression of the signal by cable companies. Cable (and satellite) companies prefer quantity over quality and pack the most possible channels for the available bandwith. Yes, this will be worse on a 52-inch screen. Fortunately with HD, they will be forced to reduce the compression rate. Otherwise, people will complain.

I have myself a BV-7 40 and SD analog broadcasts are often better than SD digital broadcasts because the analogue signal is derived from a less compressed signal. At the studios, almost everything is now done in digital format now.

Regards,

Jean Vezina

• 01-27-2008 5:03 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Dropping the 6-23? That's gonna be popular...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-27-2008 5:59 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jvezina:

The SD problem with the BV7-40 has nothing to do with the TV itself, but rather with the overcompression of the signal..

Correct, I know. MKIII shows it 'as is'. So, if there is bad compression, you see that more clearly on the MKIII 1080p based BV7-40. Scale this up to a 52" screen and, unless you plan on watching HD sourced content only, people are going to be in for a shock.

Here's something funny though. If you have the UK MKIII, you can't have analogue and DVB-T from one source, unless you get some kind of splitter for the cable, so I have Sky HD and DVB-T. Not seen an analogue signal on my MKIII yet.

I agree with Alex though, why drop the 23"? I was actually thinking of the BC6-23 for a small corner in a room, later this year.

• 01-27-2008 6:05 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Jez:
    I think the new BV4 50" is likely to be offered on BV7 stand with BL10, like an AV9000 look, nice! Also got news that BeoSound 5 is also to be offered as BeoMaster 5 and that BeoMedia 1 will be discontinued. BeoSystem 3 will finally get full HD tuners built in to match 1080 screens..

What do you mean by full HD tuners? My BS3 displays 1080p content.

I could understand the BeoSound being renamed 'BeoMaster' though. From what I hear, it's an audio-only product though, so I can't understand how it could offer more than me buying a Mac Mini and using this with an Airport Express + Remote Buddy on an iPod Touch? That's a £600 option and works superbly.

• 01-27-2008 6:44 AM In reply to

Does that mean when there comes a bigger one that the smaller sizes will become cheaper?

In my opinion they must :-)

• 01-27-2008 6:48 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Bingo:

Does that mean when there comes a bigger one that the smaller sizes will become cheaper?

I think this is a tricky dilemma for B&O. I agree the TV prices are too expensive, but are they going to do an Apple and announce the BV7-40 MKIII in October, then reduce it by £2K, only 6 months later? Bit like Apple and the iPhone?

ie. I don't think I'd be best pleased that my £9K TV was suddenly de-valued to £7K within a few months. Would affect the trade-in value immensely and would make me think twice about investing in, say, something like the forthcoming BeoSound 5, thinking it might happen again. B&O have *never* drastically reduced prices in the time I've been following B&O....unless I'm mistaken? I'm sure they go up each year, not down.

I'd rather see B&O develop the BV7-32 rather add a new model to the range. They'd shift more 32 inches than 52 inches, yet the 32 is still stuck with that single DVI socket.

• 01-27-2008 6:56 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    Bingo:

I think this is a tricky dilemma for B&O. I agree the TV prices are too expensive, but are they going to do an Apple and announce the BV7-40 MKIII in October, then reduce it by £2K, only 6 months later? Bit like Apple and the iPhone?

ie. I don't think I'd be best pleased that my £9K TV was suddenly de-valued to £7K within a few months. Would affect the trade-in value immensely and would make me think twice about investing in, say, something like the forthcoming BeoSound 5, thinking it might happen again. B&O have *never* drastically reduced prices in the time I've been following B&O....unless I'm mistaken? I'm sure they go up each year, not down.

I'd rather see B&O develop the BV7-32 rather add a new model to the range. They'd shift more 32 inches than 52 inches, yet the 32 is still stuck with that single DVI socket.

I understand but If being to expensive is a cause for the bad turnover, do they have any choice then?

If 11000 euro for a Beovision 7-40 is too much to be atractive, it will keep being unatractive if the price stays the same.

• 01-27-2008 7:05 AM In reply to

The only way for B&O to lower the prices is to discontinue a model and replace it with a new model. Just like they did with the BV5 and the BV9.
  • 01-27-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Bingo:

I think when it comes to video products as the market is moving now, the traditional virtues of buying BnO as an 'investment' ( in relation to mainstream brands) are over.

The market is so fast moving. I purchased a BV4 with BS2 3 years ago for £11000. PX value £2100.

There is nothing really exciting in technology terms that is available this year but for 2009/10 the market will be turned on its head and i very much doubt that one can rely upon a good residual value from bno- And in relation to new products , however expensive, one will have to accept to write most of the purchase off- just as one does now if you one buys a mainstream brand

• 01-27-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

I agree. Panasonic comes in april with new Plasmapanels with a contrastratio 30.000:1. Much better blacks then the current models, so that is worth the wait until B&O uses them.

Next year the 10 lumen technology maybe appears. So the value of products is much shorter. Hightime for B&O to lower the prices enormously :-)

• 01-27-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

Won't happen! They will just do what they always do which is the constant updating of products. I do agree that the video product range seems very expensive. The actual screens are now so cheap that the competitors can offer products which are a tenth of the price. They may not be as well made or offer the same integration (though even this is changing) but if you can buy ten for the price of one B&O, the life of a B&O salesman cannot be easy. Of course it makes Lee's job better as he can sell nearly new products for half the price and once installed, who can tell?!
  • 01-27-2008 10:38 AM In reply to

I like the BC 6 very much. I am surpised to see the smallest BC 6 is dropped. Personally, I would like a BC 6 with a 32'' panel, but I was told that this is not gonna happen...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-27-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

Why not!  I think that there are many people waiting for a bv6 32"

Denmark....wake up!

• 01-27-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

beocool:

I like the BC 6 very much. I am surpised to see the smallest BC 6 is dropped. Personally, I would like a BC 6 with a 32'' panel, but I was told that this is not gonna happen...

Good point, forgot about that! I'd prefer a BC6-32 than I would a BV7-32. The design of a BC6 is classic and well respected. 26" is a bit of a 'nothing' TV to me though - too small for a living room TV and too large for the bedroom. A BC6 23" and 32" would be ideal.

Peter is right, B&O aren't going to move away from their traditions. They're not going to suddenly panic and restructure their prices. It's not their style in the past nor short-term future.

335F - I partly agree. That's why I traded my BV7-32 MKI recently, as it was worth far more at the end of 2007 than it would be by Summer 2008, if/when the BV7-32 receives an upgrade. My old MKI single DVI BV7-32 would be worth probably £1000 less than the trade-in value at the moment. Same with my current BV7-40. I doubt I'd keep this for more than a couple or so years as, by then, it should still hold a reasonable trade-in value against a current model.

That's the problem with buying something like the BS2. I knew a couple of years ago that that huge box (I couldn't figure why anyone who actually want one of those in their living room) wouldn't last and would be replaced sooner rather than later. Once that happens, the trade-in value would be massively reduced.

• 01-27-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Bingo:

I understand but If being to expensive is a cause for the bad turnover, do they have any choice then?

If 11000 euro for a Beovision 7-40 is too much to be atractive, it will keep being unatractive if the price stays the same.

Yeah, but what is the level between higher volumes against improved turnover.

An example: say you reduce the BV7-40 from £8.8K to £6.5K. Would this see a surge in sales? Would it be perceived as 'good value' by the general public? Bear in mind that B&O have just 'lost' over £2K on the purchase price, thus reducing margins. If they could sell 10 BV7-40's for £8.8K or 15 at £6.5K, which would would they prefer and which would generate the best profit?

The biggest problem that B&O have is getting people in to the store in the first place! Most people I know don't even go in and also feel overwhelmed by the stores. They look at the BL3's and see the stands alone are over £300. To most people....that's excessive, and they are just the stands.

• 01-27-2008 1:33 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Peter:
    Of course it makes Lee's job better as he can sell nearly new products for half the price and once installed, who can tell?!

Perhaps, B&O should retrain their sales organization in order to focus on the super rich AND vainglorious - the rest of us might be able to find some nice crumbs left on the table – I think/hope that they have been taking this ‘aftermarket’ into consideration, at least partially.

Nevertheless, in the worst case scenario, if the B&O salesmen do not do a good job to begin with, Lee might still have less supply of ‘nearly new products’ to sell, eventually … Unsure

• 01-27-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

I think B&O is distorting there company with the price level of there beovisions.

In the past anyone who wants to buy a let say an avant , could do that if he put some money apart for some time. Now it's impossible for a big group of potential customers to buy a beovision 4 or 9. Which force them to buy a different brand.

What when in the future they need a new audio system, they don't have to stay with B&O because an important part of there system is not B&O anymore. Why not buy an new dvd player from the same brand as the plasma screen. 

So Denmark, please lower the prices, keep them high enough to be exclusive (we can life with that), but otherwise i am afraid in a few years time we all have to buy samsung/lc/sony because B&O doesn't exist anymore.

• 01-27-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Beoik:

I think B&O is distorting there company with the price level of there beovisions.

In the past anyone who wants to buy a let say an avant , could do that if he put some money apart for some time. Now it's impossible for a big group of potential customers to buy a beovision 4 or 9. Which force them to buy a different brand.

What when in the future they need a new audio system, they don't have to stay with B&O because an important part of there system is not B&O anymore. Why not buy an new dvd player from the same brand as the plasma screen. 

So Denmark, please lower the prices, keep them high enough to be exclusive (we can life with that), but otherwise i am afraid in a few years time we all have to buy samsung/lc/sony because B&O doesn't exist anymore.

Well spoken

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >