in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-13-2008 4:55 AM by stotty1111. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2008 8:37 AM

RL 140s - any good?

I've been hankering after some speakers for my kitchen for a while now, and wondered what people thought of RL 140s? We've had a lot of discussion recently about what the best speakers are design wise, but I wonder what people rate the 140s like in terms of sound? I plan to run a second set of speakers into my kitchen from my BM 8000 (currently driving some Beovox Pentas in my living room). Space is not really an issue as the room is big, and though I thought that some Beovox 5000 flat panels might look nice, I dismissed them as being too costly both in terms of purchase price and the need to conceal the cable runs inside the walls. RL 140s seem like a bit of a bargain at the moment in comparison with some of the contemporaneous high-watt rated B&O speakers (my Pentas are mint, but set me back £600), with a pair selling recently on eBay for not much more than £100.

Anyone got any experiences they'd like to share?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-25-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

Re: RL 140s - any good?

They are an excellent sounding speaker in my view, especially when driven by a decent amplifier like the 8000 is reputed to be.

Beware, they do suffer from foam rot!

Regards Graham

• 01-25-2008 11:22 AM In reply to

Thanks Graham

I wondered about foam rot - will check any prospective purchase carefully.

What's a fair price for a good pair (- foam rot) with floor stands?

• 01-25-2008 11:48 AM In reply to

Like most things it will all depend on condition.

If you can find a mint pair then they could be worth £250. Mediochre condition could see that price drop to less than £80

Look out for the later RL7000 version which I believe have rubber rather than foam surrounds. (Check this?)

Regards Graham

• 01-25-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

Thanks again Graham

You've confirmed what I suspected - that these speakers are a gem of the second-hand market. Will also have a look for the 7000s if they have the rubber surrounds. Anyone got a pair they want to sell??? 

• 01-25-2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

If you want, you can replace the foam surrounds yourself.  It's not hard at all, just takes a couple hours.  I won't bother to type out the directions though, because if you google it you'll find there are already detailed instructions online.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 01-25-2008 7:23 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

Yes! Don't tell anyone though!

Thanks Austin for the advice too. I'd be more than happy to re-foam myself, particularly as there is some expert advice just up the road from me in Morley that I could hopefully draw upon, should I cack things up myself! 

• 01-25-2008 8:36 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Superb sounding speakers John but they really do take up a lot of space. You say this isn't an issue but they do take up a huge ammount of room whether you wall or floor mount them - providing you can find a wall substantial enough to mount the beasts on!

Refoaming these aren't as straight forward as some speakers as the tolerances on the coils are quite critical and wiil normally require shimming to do it right.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-26-2008 6:25 AM In reply to

Hmm, these are probably not something I'd put in a kitchen as heat does not do the foam surrounds a lot of good, and if you mount them high up they will get a coating of cooking residues, and they are not the easiest of speakers to strip down for washing.
  • 01-26-2008 1:01 PM In reply to

casdave:
    Hmm, these are probably not something I'd put in a kitchen as heat does not do the foam surrounds a lot of good, and if you mount them high up they will get a coating of cooking residues, and they are not the easiest of speakers to strip down for washing.

Space really isn't a problem, nor is cooking residue, as I don't tend to cook too much ;)

I think they'll look grand in here, about 5 ft behind where I stood to take the photo, so well away from the cooker for when I make my beans on toast:

• 11-01-2008 6:16 PM In reply to

Tim Jarman has a pair and I was surprised that one rapidly gets used to the size - I mistook them for 60.2s at first! Excellent sound and he uses a Beomaster 5500 with them and the sound is still good. They do not seem to be as over powering compared to say MS150s. The bass is also surprisingly well controlled though he has completely replaced the capacitors.
  • 11-01-2008 6:28 PM In reply to

• DSJR
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-01-2008
    • Suffolk
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

I'd say from my point of view, that the RL140 was a very reasonable speaker and by far the best of that series. The RL45 was all midrange and the RL60 could sound bland in the wide scheme of things. Capacitor upgrades could work wonders here, as the innards look to be very well made indeed otherwise. At least the 140 could rock, given half a chance and has a real sense of scale.

If they suffer foam rot (I only saw inside blown up smaller models), then people like Wembley Loudspeakers could repair any drivers fitted to them and possibly advise if the foams could be replaced with something longer lasting (I don't know). 

This is going to cost far more and forgive me for suggesting it (I'm still new here), but I'd almost suggest putting the Penta's in the Kitchen and maybe consider something else for the lounge. Does the 8000 have preamp outputs? Your speaker world is your oyster if it does, as the current fully active models could be considered (are Beolab 1's cheap enough yet?), along with a whole world of wonderful conventional speakers which won't look as good I'll admit. The Beomaster 8000 will definitely not be the limiting factor.

• 11-01-2008 11:17 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I have owned my RL140s from new (at launch) having traded them in for a pair of RL60 that were the standard speaker with the BS 5000.  I have replaced the foam on the 4 bass drivers myself and find the sound very pleasing, with a good bass.  They are large (but not overly) - I have them on floor stands at present but have had them wall mounted in the past.  Both arrangements work well and I would recommend them.  Make sure you find a set with good speaker grille cloth - unless you plan to recover them!

Brian

• 11-02-2008 2:12 AM In reply to

Hi, You can get  Tang Band replacement drivers that sound great compaired to the original drivers that are rubber and you will never have to worry about them again beside caps. driver # is w6-1721 under hung midbass. The 140 box size is 1.34 cubic ft. 41 hz with 3in by 6 in port.

and there on sale from 90 to 50 bucks!

Crank

• 12-13-2008 3:22 AM In reply to

Brian,

where did you get the foam for your speakers or do yoy know of a place where I can have the work done.  I keep hearing this needs to be done.

• 12-13-2008 4:55 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Try a search on Goodhifi on ebay

tony s

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)