in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-26-2008 10:08 AM by Stars. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2008 4:35 AM

• benkap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 162
    • Bronze Member

Se*iest B&O speaker - design only

In extension of the 15 se*iest speakers thread I was thinking what is the se*iest speaker B&O has made.

You could place the speakers roughly in two groups: Floor standing and wall mounted.

I think the 80's panel speakers are very sleak looking with their polished steel panels but I'm also a big fan of the 70's wooden speakers on metal floor stands.

My pick would be BL5000 and M150. I'm guessing many will chose the BL8000 as a top contender.

So...which is it?

Smile

• 01-23-2008 5:08 AM In reply to

Re: Se*iest B&O speaker - design only

Has to be 8000s.. just slightly edging out the 5000s.

I think the materials used on the 8000s is what gives it the final touch wheras the plastic bits on the 5000 probably let it down.  

• 01-23-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

My favourite designs are the 70's/80's  Unipahse speakers on metal Floor stands with the wooden cabinets, but I wouldn't call it a se*y design.

The se*iest design has to be the Beovox 2500 tweeter cubes from the late sixties . Decades ahead of their time and now a highly prized collectors item.

Simon

• 01-23-2008 5:45 AM In reply to

No, no, no. The king of B&O speakers is:

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-23-2008 6:07 AM In reply to

i like the 6000's as they visually disappear

popgear is grate™

• 01-23-2008 6:37 AM In reply to

Penta's ofcourse : big, large and very present....:-)
    Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 01-23-2008 6:54 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

If they are se*y enough for a Kylie video (I Should Be So Lucky) then they're se*y enough for me.

I'm talking Penta's of courseStick out tongue but I could be tempted by the BL8000's.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-23-2008 7:40 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm not sure I would call the Pentas "designed" - they're more like civil engineeringBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-23-2008 9:56 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I don't think the Pentas are se*y, they are a little to bulky imo, and they look  a little out-dated in my eyes.

BL4 (and may be BL4000) excluded, I think all of the speakers of the actual range look very good, the BL8000 being something special.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 01-23-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

My votes go to the 8000 for floor standing, and the 4500 panel for wall mounted. The 8000s speak for themselves in terms of presence and the fact that they evoke organ pipes. The 4500s I think are well proportioned and act almost like wall art.
  • 01-23-2008 10:46 AM In reply to

Tom:

I don't think the Pentas are se*y, they are a little to bulky imo, and they look  a little out-dated in my eyes.

BL4 (and may be BL4000) excluded, I think all of the speakers of the actual range look very good, the BL8000 being something special.

I think Pentas look more modern than BL8000s, which are now very long in the tooth. It does depend on the environment where they are sited though; Pentas in small houses with Fleur de Lys patterned wallpaper & carpets/velour tassled sofas etc. look appalling in a way that BL8000s don't. Put a Penta in a big, modern space and I defy anyone to tell me that they look dated. BL8000s do look good in these kind of spaces too, but not as good as a Penta. I guess the bottom line is that BL8000s look good wherever they are, but the Pentas need space to show them off to full effect.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-23-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

There are plenty of speakers to choose from. I came up with a top 8:

1. Beovox 2500 cubes: Small but very, very beautiful.
    2. Beoab 8000: In a word: Iconic.
    3. Beolab 2500: They look so good with a Beosound 2300.
    4. Beovox 3000/4500: The simplest of the flat panel speakers.
    5. Beolab 4000: I just love that elliptical shape. Gorgeous.
    6. Rondstraler: Not well known perhaps. I tried to find a picture, but failed so far. It looks like a perforated metal cylinder.
    7. Beolab 4: So simple and yet so different. Sound is not that impressive by the way.
    8. Beolab 5: Perhaps a future icon. The design may be an acquired taste as they are visually very present, but I still love them.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-23-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:

I think Pentas look more modern than BL8000s, which are now very long in the tooth. It does depend on the environment where they are sited though; Pentas in small houses with Fleur de Lys patterned wallpaper & carpets/velour tassled sofas etc. look appalling in a way that BL8000s don't. Put a Penta in a big, modern space and I defy anyone to tell me that they look dated. BL8000s do look good in these kind of spaces too, but not as good as a Penta. I guess the bottom line is that BL8000s look good wherever they are, but the Pentas need space to show them off to full effect.

You could be right, but I have never seen Pentas that had enough space. It always depends, how the speakers are set up. If they are close to some other equipment, they need match with that. I am sure that Pentas next to an avant or an AV9000 look superb, but next to a BV7 they look horrible imo. BL6000 and BL8000 look very good with most of the products from the actual range. But here again, it is mostly a question of taste.

A chacun son goût! 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 01-23-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

• PD
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Eastbourne, England
    • Posts 210
    • Bronze Member

I'd vote Penta, but they're a little too phallic for comfort.

I'm going with floor-stand RL140s. Nice curves & the lines bring you into their arms like a gorgeous woman...

Freud, eat your heart out...

PD "The difference betwixt erotic & kinky is that betwixt using a feather & using a chicken..."

• 01-23-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

Off the top of my head, I'd vote for the BeoLab 1.  

Utter clarity and simplicity, and almost perfect proportion.  Beautiful!  

Penta would run a close second, I think.  

Best,
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 01-23-2008 12:29 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Haha, someone here must be praising a (good) neighbour's wife ...

Of course, BL5s! I must admit it did take some time though to get used to the looks before I bought them. No complains since then .... It seems that, as with the opposite sex, people have quite different tastes, which is perfectly fine, I guess. It brings some balance to the world. Big Smile

• 01-23-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 5s, by far the most individual looking speaker on the market, and IMO, the proportions are just perfect. Very subtly dominating in a room, which is the way they should be...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-23-2008 12:40 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

double post ...

• 01-23-2008 2:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

If circumstances forced me to sell all my B&O equipment, I think the last thing I would part with would be my Beolab Pentas.(Avant coming close)
    However, none of these has at any time sixually aroused me so far.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-23-2008 2:37 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

no questions.... The 8000 is the best looking speaker ever made

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 01-23-2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Nice thread!

A great question and one I personally find difficult to answer because I love practically every B&O speaker from past and present. I don't think they have ever made a bad one, certainly not from a design point of view. As much as I love the 8000s and indeed I bought a pair some years ago, I think the 4000s would top my list as I love the design and especially the placement of the power button with the LED on it! I have seen them used in lots of different set ups and they seem to look great in every position they are put in. I particularly like those that put two of them side by side under a wall mounted BV4, they look superb like that and a definite interior design statement. As a second choice I am going to suprise perhaps many of you by suggesting the BeoLab 3500 speaker. I don't think they could have designed this any better, it is so timeless and still so up to date. I may well be purchasing a couple of these for link rooms, we'll see. I must add the sub too as the BL2 has always struck me as a very interesting design and I definitly agree with an earlier post about the cubes from the 60s. B&O are in a world of their own when it comes to speakers, I could never find fault with any of them. Even the BL4s I like dsign wise although I know many of you have suggested they lack any real punch, but I still think they are very B&O.

Cheers!

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 01-23-2008 3:36 PM In reply to

I can't believe I forgot about the AMAZING 4500s! These are a definite joint first position with the 4000s. They were the first speaker to really grab me in the range when I saw them as a youngster. While I loved all the other speakers those one's really stood out. Someone mentioned they are like wall art and I completly agree. I will also be keeping my eye out for a pair of these at some future point. Sorry to have forgotten you my beauties! Awesome speakers! Just fantastic!

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 01-23-2008 3:57 PM In reply to

I am surprised by the inclusion of the BL3500. I own one and have a chance to see it every day. While it does not make it to the top of MY list, I have to agree that this speaker is just about perfect. Elegant, timeless, and understated are words that come to mind with the 3500.

It could use a bit of an update, and the sound could be better. But I digress this is a thread about visual design, not engineering. 

• 01-23-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

When i bought my BS5000 in the mid-eighties the speaker choice was the S55's? from the uniphase range or the RL60's. I fell in love with the RL60's and bought them with the wall brackets and Redline coily cable - I thought they were gorgeous and looked quite unlike anything else at the time. I still have them and, although they look a little tired around the edges, I could never dream of getting rid of them - they're a member of the family (although they're now demoted to floor stands and the wife hates them).

The BL5's are beautiful, as are the BL8000's, but I could never forget my RL60's (they're like your first girlfriend)

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-23-2008 4:08 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I think the coily red and black speaker wires are quite collectable now.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >