in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-02-2008 4:25 PM by Number6. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2008 10:01 PM

• Number6
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 5000 Cuts Out After Short Play

Just purchased a Beocord 5000 as a companion for may Beosystem 5000. Tapes sound a little slow and system shuts down after a short play. I checked the belts and they seem to have been replaced in the not too distant past. Maybe I should replace the belts anyway, but I don't understand the system shutting down. Anyone out there have any Ideas?

Brian  

• 01-23-2008 4:31 AM In reply to

Re: Beocord 5000 Cuts Out After Short Play

When you say "system shutting down" do you mean it goes into "standby" or do you mean it was if there was no power at all.

Regards Keith....

• 01-23-2008 6:42 PM In reply to

• Number6
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. It goes into standby mode, but it also puts the Beomaster into standby as well

Brian 

• 01-24-2008 2:16 AM In reply to

A lot of B&O products will go into "Standby" if there is any kind of power supply issue with a view of protecting the unit itself.

The fact that both units went to "Standby" means an actual "Standby" signal was sent as if you had switched it off from the remote.

I am assuming that the Beomaster works fine if the Beocord is not connected to it. If so, then the beocord is likely to be drawing to much current. So anything which is likely to put extra torgue on the motor will draw more current. You said that tapes sound a little slow, so this is also likely to mean it drawing more current.

I would check the motor and associated drive again looking for any particular tightness.

Regards Keith....

• 01-25-2008 3:41 AM In reply to

• Number6
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Keith,

Thanks again. What you wrote makes a lot of sense. My Beomaster does work fine without the Beocord. The person who sold me the Beocord said the unit played and recorded just fine before he sent it to me. He packed the unit nicely, but anything can happen when shipped. I am going to dismantle the unit again to see if anything is putting a strain on the system.

Brian 

• 01-25-2008 6:50 AM In reply to

Dunno how close your 5000 is to my 6500 (I guess they had different mechanisms?), but I had funny transport problems (like the takeup spool not turning at all) due to the axles of the cassette spools being dry. They have tiny screws on top, undo them and then you can pull off the spools & springs from their axles. Clean and lubricate, and this might just be enough to make your Beocord run again.

-mika

edit: gee, I was thinking about 5500. Forget what I just said Big Smile

-mika

• 01-26-2008 4:21 PM In reply to

• Number6
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Mika,

I took out the whole transport mechanism and I can't find anything binding. The belts seem fine. Nothing rubbing. I put it back together and it still acts the same. It does not matter which direction or which function I use. It will cut out at random intervals. I checked the voltage across the drive motor and it read betweeen 12.5 and 13 vdc. It never spiked before it cut out. It just shuts down.  

Brian 

• 01-27-2008 3:26 AM In reply to

If you can find nothing apparent with the transport mechanism, then I would turn to drivers/supply to the transport motors. The fact that you have 13 volts across the motors may be find, but what current is it drawing ?

Regards Keith....

• 02-02-2008 4:25 PM In reply to

• Number6
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. I measured the currant draw of the transport motor and it ranged from .16 to .25 amps. I did not notice any spikes when the unit cut out. I did replace a toasted 10 ohm resister in the power supply circuit. It still measured 10 ohms. It was a 1/4 watt rated and I replaced it with a 1/2 watt. It did not change a thing. I finally gave up and shipped it off to Atlantic Systems for repair. I just hope it doesn't cost too much. Thanks to all for the good advice. When I find out what is wrong I will post as I think this is a common problem since I saw one of these units on Ebay with the same problem.

Brian 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)