in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-04-2007 2:21 AM by Beobuddy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2007 3:17 PM

BM Link 1.5 and OSX86, does it work?

After reading the post about the new software release of BM Link am I a bit curious about how it works.

Also the ability of getting some more info on a BS3200 about track, name etc makes me wonder if my beoport will function different then when it's used with a pc.

But at the moment I do not own a mac. I did several years ago, but buying a mac only for the beoport purposes isn't an option right now.

So, is there anyone who has the OSX software, which transforms your pc into a mac, combined with the BM Link software?

• 04-27-2007 9:45 AM In reply to

Re: BM Link 1.5 and OSX86, does it work?

>>So, is there anyone who has the OSX software, which transforms your pc into a mac<<

I am not saying this is impossible to do as there were some screenshot posted on some mac website. However for us normal people we will not be able to pull this off. 

The MAC OS verifies the hardware now that it runs on intel and that piece would have to be stripped out off the source code or coaxed into thinking it runs on an apple product. Then, you would have to find drivers so that the Mac OS supports your hardware which mostlikly you won't get.

It does woork the other way around though, you can similuate windows on a MAC or on the  later Intel ones use Apple Bootcamp to start with Windows.

Cheers
    JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-27-2007 2:08 PM In reply to

Hi JK,

There is software which is modifed to run on a ordinairy pc.

I tried it on a P4 2.4 Ghz based pc.

Look at the following site. You'll find some releases and every release supports different hardware.

As I was saying, it had it running, the only thing which didn't work was the ethernetcard.

You have to download an image and then you can install OSX86.

It did have a mac for some time ago, so this felt a bit like coming home.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

• 04-28-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

Interesting, I didn't know that they made a project out of this. I doubt though that you find somebody here who pulled this off ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-02-2007 3:46 PM In reply to

So he is here again Smile

I've managed to find an OSX 86 version which supports all the hardware in my pc.

It's an Aopen, AX4GE Tube with onboard audio (A real TUBE!!), ethernetcontroller and video.

After installing everything seems to work. Mail, Safari, I-Tunes etc, Dashboard. So I am a proud owner of a fake

Mac P4 2,4 Ghz 512 MB etc......

I even installed the BM-Link 1.5 software  and it looks like it works, but not 100 %.

I can switch on/off the (power) linkspeakers, adjust the volume and I-Tunes starts after pressing NMusic.

My smile gets even bigger.....Laughing

But here it comes, several functions won't work. After starting Nmusic from the livingroom, I can see that I-tunes starts up and then BMlink stops Tongue Tied

If I start BM-link via the preference panel/BM link, then again it will function again for a while.

The problem, I hope, lies in the firmware update 1.31 I think.

The control panel tells me that I have 1.30 and it will be updated to 1.31.

Then you can see that it makes contact with the PC2. But after a second there is a message :"Can't send data to PC2" (In dutch)

Why? can someone tell me what it can be? Why doesn't the PC2 accepts an 1.31 update?

My neighbour has a real Mac (an oldie I-mac, 400Mhz etc with 10.4.something, but nevertheless), so I have tried it at his place.

After installing I can't update the firmware either. The same response as at my place: you have 1.30 it will be updated to 1.31, update?

"Can't write data to hardware"

It's a bit frustating. I've tried to give it its own USB connection (not shared with keyboard, mouse etc). But it didn't work so far.

Any Ideas? Has someone experienced the same problem?

Any help would be gratefull. Thanks in advance.

Beobuddy.

• 05-03-2007 2:06 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Have you tried doing it on a PC? I know there was an issue with the BeoSound 2 and not being able to update software on a Mac, could it possibly be the same with the BeoPort/PC2?

Also, you may have OSX86, but you're still missing half the Macness. Out of interest, what does it say in the 'About This Mac' window, and also, does it support Quartz Extreme (click More Info and look in the graphics tab).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-04-2007 2:21 AM In reply to

I did have a try to install the latest beoport software. The software then tells me that doesn't need an update.

By the way, it works fine with my other pc, also an Aopen AX4PE Tube 2,53 Ghz etc...No problem at all.

But like Coolskin told, it is a nice to have feature to display track and title on a BS3200.

So, I still have a problem.

About the graphics tab, here's the info:

Display:

Type:  VGA compatible controller (that's the onboard one)

Bus:  build-in

VRAM:  128 MB

Manufacture:  Intel (0x8086)

Code:  0x2562

Revisioncode: 0x0003

Info Kernel:  No Kext loaded

Display:

Un none (wrong spelling?) display

resolution:  1024 x 768

depth:  32 bit color

Core image:  Not supported

Main display: Yes