in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-26-2012 8:30 AM by Mr10Percent. 264 replies.
Page 3 of 11 (265 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2008 6:21 PM In reply to

Re: What is your favorite watch?

Everyday - Omega Seamaster Quartz 2221.80.00

Gym - Tag Heuer 2000

Casual outings - Rolex Air King

Formal - no watch 

As per the plexi versus saphire, speaking to a salesperson, she stated that some watches are plexi because some people don't wan to wear something heavy on their wrist. Personally, I like the weight of a watch and the scratch resistance of saphire glass/crystal.

• 07-03-2008 9:38 PM In reply to

Hi all.  I just found this thread, and hope you don't mind me resurrecting it.

Like you, I am a fan of the Cartiers, Breitlings, Rolexs, Patek Phillippes et al, but I don't have anything like the budget Sad

So, I've looked elsewhere, and still have a small but interesting collection of classics. I'd like to share them if I may (not physically, just in this message) Wink

1973 Pulsar P3 Datecommand

When the Pulsar P1 was launched in 1972 it completely changed the way we told the time, as it was the first ever commercially available digital watch, and cost $5 more than a brand new Toyota!

Adding to the capabilities of the Pulsar P1 & P2, the Datecommand  was the first completely solid-state watch to also show the date. Its red LED display, stainless steel and retro/futuristic styling make it a great companion to B&O stuff. Mine is still going strong, and is the most accurate watch I have ever owned...< +/- 1 sec per week!

Pulsar P3 

1965 Bulova Accutron Spaceview 

Bulova was the pioneer of electronically regulated clocks and watches, using an electronic "tuning fork" that oscillated at a fixed frequency, thus regulating the timepiece.  Predating quartz oscillators by years, these watches are a marvel of miniturisation of such a mechanism. Many were in conventional cases, however I like the Spaceview variants as they clearly show that amazing movement.

Accutron Spaceview

1972 Seiko 7016 "Monaco" 

Another forgotten pioneer of watch movements is Seiko.  In 1971 they presented an self-winding chronometer with unique 2 handed subdial for the chronograph hours and minutes that was much ahead of its European contemporaries.  Shortly after Seiko, like many others, moved into the production of digital watches, leaving the ground free for Tag, Breitling, Omega etc to produce the quality chronographs. Although sporting a plastic dome rather than a tougher glass, the 7016 chronos, in particular the "Monaco" variants provide a rare chance to own a high quality and attractive self winding chronograph from the early 1970s that is cheap enough to be an everyday watch. Practical and yet interesting - it remains a classic.

Seiko Monaco

Well, I hope I've not bored you all to death, and I hope you'll find these watches as interesting as I do. (But, of course I'd happily give a steel & gold Cartier Santos a home) Wink

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-04-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

Hi Ray

I really enjoyed reading your post, and was interested to see what's in your collection. I was talking to a wealthy academic a couple of years back who thought he was well into collecting watches, but it turned out that he really didn't like them for their aesthetic appeal, but more for what he thought the fact that he collected them in the first place said about him as an individual. He had a couple of Panerias and a couple of IWCs, but knew nothing really about them. Your collection says much about you as an individual, and makes me think I'd like one of those Pulsar P1s myself :)

As an aside, I have a Smiths mantlepiece clock that has a tuning fork mechanism. Unfortuately one of the pinions has gone in the movement and it needs repair, but I wondered if you can hear (or even feel) the vibrations from the fork as I can/could with my Smiths clock?

John

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-04-2008 3:16 PM In reply to

Hi John

Thanks for your kind words.  The Pulsars are indeed wonderful pieces, and I wanted one for years.

The Accutron has a nice "hum" which I somehow never get tired of listening to every now and then Smile

I hope you get your Smiths mantel clock fixed, as it is great to keep these interesting pieces working and on show.

I have a kit-made nixie clock, which never fails to enchant guests. 

Best wishes 

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 08-04-2008 12:03 PM In reply to

• bwaje
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2007
    • Paris - France
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

CWC from her majesty's army, cheap, solid, and discreet too

CWC 

b&otien
  • 08-08-2008 7:53 AM In reply to

Well priced but good design - Skagen

Dearer - Rado

2nd Prize winner in the May 2010 draw

42 - The answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

• 08-09-2008 5:47 AM In reply to

I also love this Pasha C 38 mm form Cartier :

such a great beautiful watch to have (IMHO).

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 08-12-2008 6:37 AM In reply to

The titanium Ocean 2000 by Porsche Design! 

• 08-12-2008 1:33 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Love this TAG Heuer Grand CARRERA Calibre 17 RS Chronographe Edition Limitée en or rose

• 11-22-2008 5:14 PM In reply to

• Seven
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2008
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

I absolutely adore Ventura's "the watch", designed by danish Bo Hansen. Very B&O-ish :-)

• 11-26-2008 3:30 PM In reply to

• Zugn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2008
    • Posts 20
    • Bronze Member

Favorite?

Bell &Ross.

Maybe i like these brands with "B & ..."?Big Smile

But i don't have any Bell&Ross watch. Don't have so much money to spend it for these watches! Spend all my money for B&O things!LaughingLaughing

• 12-04-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Zugn:

Favorite?

Bell &Ross.

Maybe i like these brands with "B & ..."?Big Smile

But i don't have any Bell&Ross watch. Don't have so much money to spend it for these watches! Spend all my money for B&O things!LaughingLaughing

I have always loved Bell & Ross, especially since I got to try on my dream watch: BR03-92 Military Spec... My wrists are awfully tiny so the trend for monster 46mm watches is disconcerting... the BR03 series are 42mm and the latest beautiful BR-S series are 39mm, mostly quartz, but the gold and platinum ones are automatic. I also don't own a B&R watch... I drool over them almost weekly though online. -Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 12-04-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

Just bought myself a new watch - my Baume & Mercier Riviera needs a service ( another B& .. range!)

I have bought a Christopher White Mavern Aviator - easy to read and an automatic. 

• 12-05-2008 5:02 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

I'd had a period when I was not interested in watches at all, still can't say I'm that much ... However, I have now a few of them and my favorite was this automatic Frederique Constant Persuasion Moonphase Carree. Unfortunately, it got stolen so I got myself a replacement, a Longines (of their Master Collection) which is also automatic. I find it useful  as it shows some good info (which I expect of a watch).

• 12-07-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

The Longines is a real nice watch, sorry to hear, Your one was stolen... :(

I have another one, with the same Valjoux 7751 movement, and I really like it :)

• 12-07-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

Seven:

I absolutely adore Ventura's "the watch", designed by danish Bo Hansen. Very B&O-ish :-)

I've got this watch! Love it... Got it 15 years ago! Unfortunately I do not wear watches since I have a mobile phone.

Rosendhal has a similar one designed by a a designer that you may have heard of... Jacob Jensen!

• 12-08-2008 1:12 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

AT:

The Longines is a real nice watch, sorry to hear, Your one was stolen... :(

Thanks for condolences, AT: It was NOT the Longines they stole, but the Frederique Constant.

• 01-01-2009 12:39 PM In reply to

My choice is :

PANERAI - Luminor Marina 

Bell&Ross -  BR01-92

Recently I found company TW-STEEL very nice looking and not expencive! 

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 01-22-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I started with a Breitling Professional series Intruder which served me well for over a decade.

Since I've started travelling a lot for work I couldn't resist the Rolex GMT-11C with the ceramic bezel! Love it so much the Breitling doesn't get a look in these days and am thinking of selling the Breitling!

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 01-25-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

My favourite watch would have to be the Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5065J closely followed by the Longines Lindberg (not the re edition).  Currently wearing a vintage 18k Rolex GMT Master 1675 with riveted oyster bracelet and a 'Pepsi' bezel Rolex GMT-II.  I'd love to get a Patek Aquanaut or even a Franck Muller Cassablanca would be nice and different.

• 04-08-2009 6:06 AM In reply to

Seven:

What about Ventura Alpha?   The kind of watch B&O would have made.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/w15s.asp

This is very similar to my watch, except mine is made of SS.  I've got it for $1900 5 years ago as a refurb.

Its Lemania movement is a favorite among "action" oriented watch connoisuers.

http://www.righttime.com/rt/tutima/760-22.htm

• 04-10-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

Sorry...but your Christmas bonus is a fake Seamaster worth around £50

• 04-14-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

I have a Breitling B-1 and a Bell & Ross BR01-92!

• 05-05-2009 7:22 AM In reply to

This is not my cup of tea, but it's so unusual I thought I post it here.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-05-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Good Heavens!! I fell in love with it just now.. So much so i just called 'Marcus of Bond Street, London' to enquire about the price..

By the looks of it, i'd have guessed at around £4k... Maybe if i sell my Heuer Monaco and my Panerai, i can have one!!

However, the very polite salesman expalined to me the following -

"The 'Altin' version, a combination of Aluminium and Titanium, is £105,900.  The Black Platinum version is £149,000 - of which only 10 pieces were made, and the White Gold version is £107,300 Sir..."

SurpriseSurpriseSurprise

I made a very good job of staying calm and not sounding astonished at the price, and thanked him for his time.  Needless to say, i might be giving that one a miss...

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 3 of 11 (265 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »