in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2008 1:29 PM by EOB. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2008 6:50 PM

thinking about used Beovision

My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about treating myself with a Beovision. The ones that I have in mind is the Avant DVD and the Beocenter 1. Since I'm a student I can't afford the new sets, and since I'm not at all impressed with the picture quality of LCD/plasma screens I would probably not buy one anyway.

I watch alot of DVD on my spare time, and i think the mx range looks a bit ugly, so the avant and beocenter 1 with built in DVD are the ones I'm most interested in for the moment. But I still have alot of questions in my mind.

I'm not sure if I will have the TV in the livingroom or the bedroom, but I guess the beocenter would be a bit to small for a living room, right? or whats the biggest screen size on it? Since B&O don't sell these sets anymore I'm going to have to buy it used. What would be a good price to pay? is there any known issues with used beovisions? Is there anything special i should look at when inspecting a set? Does B&O sell used sets they have gotten when people trade old things in and buy new sets?

I've been reading a couple of reviews of the avant, and it sounds very good so far. But not still really sure if I should get the avant for the livingroom or the beocenter for the bedroom and put a projector in the livingroom instead. Maybe I should get the avant since my bedroom got enough space anyway :) The set will be used mainly for movies, hopefully replacing my stereo (but not nessesary), and minimum/no television watching.

I also found a MX tv for sale where the seller stated that you could connect your MP3 to it, is this possible with the avant/beocenter to? And does it work to temporary connect a computer to it and use it as monitor (looking at pictures and homemovies) (not use as constant monitor)?

Any ideas or comments would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance /Viktor

ps. for the ones of you that read my christmas earset 2 post: It now works fine to answer with the serene closed :) still not that impressed with the sound.. I hear some strange noises when I'm on the earset, but i haven't really gotten around to investigate it yet.

• 01-09-2008 7:13 PM In reply to

Re: thinking about used Beovision

If you watch alot of DVD, then I suggest you get a widescreen TV, i.e. an Avant.  I think that the Beocentre 1s were all 25-inch 4:3.  Certainly all the MXs were 4:3.

I don't know for sure about the Avant, but I have no problem coonecting my Macbook Pro to my Beovision 5 (through an Apple DVI/S-Video convertor). 

Lawrence
  • 01-09-2008 7:44 PM In reply to

lawrencejmcook:

If you watch alot of DVD, then I suggest you get a widescreen TV, i.e. an Avant.  I think that the Beocentre 1s were all 25-inch 4:3.  Certainly all the MXs were 4:3.

The Beovision MX4200 is able to show 16:9.

/Frank

• 01-09-2008 7:52 PM In reply to

frankmj:
    lawrencejmcook:

The Beovision MX4200 is able to show 16:9.

/Frank

The screen ratio of the MX 4200 is still 4:3.  Yes, you can watch a 16:9 picture on it, but in letter box mode (black bands top and bottom), or by losing info at the left and right sides. 

Lawrence
  • 01-10-2008 2:41 AM In reply to

Given your requirements and type of use, there is no question you should get a AVANT DVD, Fantastic picture, built in DVD player and when in the future you have some extra cash, you can add front and rear powerlink speakers which still makes a great viewing and listening experience.

Regards Keith....

• 01-10-2008 3:34 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Beovision 3-32 with extra DVD player might be a good option as well - lower price than the Avant DVDs. If you like the looks. I did''t from what I saw on the web, but now... have look at my signature - there is a post with picture of my setup as well.

Try to get a TV with built-in Dolby Digital module (and Masterlink of course).

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 01-10-2008 3:52 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

kallasr:

Beovision 3-32 with extra DVD player might be a good option as well - lower price than the Avant DVDs. If you like the looks. I did''t from what I saw on the web, but now... have look at my signature - there is a post with picture of my setup as well.

Ralf

I second that!

And to me, the BV3 is better looking than the AVANT, which looks sort of dated and imposing. 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-10-2008 4:26 AM In reply to

I am not a fan of the Beovision 3 in terms of looks. But there's no denying it has fantastic picture quality and represents excellent value for money compared to an Avant. I'd have one...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-10-2008 4:48 AM In reply to

kallasr:

Ralf

I second that too !!!!!!!!!!!!

go for it and enjoy !

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 01-10-2008 5:10 AM In reply to

Hi:

I recently bought an Avant 28" but not the DVD version. Even though I ignored the advice given to me for the sake of making a quick saving, these are things you should look out for:

The older the system, the more use it has had and thus the more likely the tube is to break. If this happens it is going to cost around £500 to repair. This is not economicaly sensible in the VHS models. However, the DVD models have a higher market value and thus might still be worth repairing. Therefore the rule of thumb is to get the newest model you can afford.

Yes, B&O stores do sell all types of B&O equipment that has been traded by customers etc. However, in my opinion (having visited a couple of stores) these are not the best places to go if you want to get the deal of the century. However, I guess you are safe in the knowledge that they have checked it out properly and as they are an established business, are less likely to sell something that would give them a bad name. Lifestyle AV also sell B&O stuff and they seem to be more competitive - click on the banner ad on this site.

If you want a cheaper "bargin" then you could go onto Ebay. However, it would appear of late that there are quite a lot of sheisters on there at the moment (as ever I guess). I paid £450 for my oldish VHS AVANT, I think it is from 96. This price included delivery. Most don't and if you can't drive this is an issue.

There is a way of testing how old the tube is through a "secret" menu command. Maybe someone can remind you what it is from this forum?

This is all based on my personal experience and I am quite a newbie to B&O myself so please do not take my advice as sacrosanct. Anyone else, feel free to correct me.

Thanks

Graham

• 01-16-2008 12:14 PM In reply to

Well, It seems as I will get an Avant VHS + DVD 1 for the livingroom and then perhaps a linked beovision 1 for the bedroom. But still not sure. Anyone knows how much a used BV 1 would go for?

Would you choose a '98 Avant wich will have the tube replaced on purchase (preferred color) or one from '01 with a flat tube?

• 01-16-2008 1:18 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Myself I would go for the Flatscreen version, as I believe they don't suffer with tube problems. Why don't you link the Avant to your MX instead of getting a BV1/

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-16-2008 1:29 PM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

Maybe its also a good idea to watch my BC1 modus post. I recently noticed in CD mode a noise from the spinning of the cd. Its a bit of nuisance in silent parts. im not sure if its gone astray or if its a common known failure. AT the moment I prefer my beomaster over the BC1 for listening to music. If the CD could / can be silent it might be a good option. As its very compact. For dvd viewing aswell as hd television viewing I think a widescreen is far much better.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)