in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-19-2008 6:27 PM by kevinoils. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2008 4:00 PM

Hello and a bit of advice on Beogram 4000

Hi all Found this fascinating forum whilst in the process of looking for a new turntable - got extremely taken by the look and spec of the Beogram 4000 and found one on Ebay...now its mine.

I have a couple of questions - the unit was delivered to me in its component pieces - as in the platter was off and in a separate wrapper and the tonearms protected.  The transport screws all seem to have been set to 'Transport' - so a good start.  Question is - what's a good method for putting it back together without damaging it?  By the way the belt was removed and is in an envelope.

The other question is - my amp has a 'Phono' setting for connecting a turntable. The connections on the amp consist of two phono sockets and an earth connection - I presume that I need to get a DIn to phono lead that also has an earth lead?

Overall, I'm very taken with the unit - though this just consists of looking at it so far as I can't connect it to my amp.  And, of course, I want to set it up correctly.

One last thing - where would I get a replacement cartridge/stylus?  It has a MMC 20EN in it currently. 

Overall, it seems like its in good condition and I want to ensure that I don't do anything that might damage it.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

• 01-09-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Hello and a bit of advice on Beogram 4000

Hi Bambam and welcome to the forum.
    Aren't you lucky that the seller had the foresight to package everyting properly. There are so many stories on here about Beograms damaged in transit.
    Not very well up on Beograms (yet) but I am sure Peter or someone will be along shortly to help you. In the meantime, Have you seen THIS on the products page?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-09-2008 4:17 PM In reply to

Hi

Thanks for the welcome and the product page was one of the main things that turned me on to the Beogram 4000!

I had read some of the horror stories on this forum about units getting trashed in transit so I was very particular with the seller.  Lets hope that it works as well as it looks!

Cheers 

• 01-09-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

If you want a new Stylus, the only place is www.sound-smith.com . These sound better than the originals.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-09-2008 5:17 PM In reply to

Lovely deck! I suppose ~I would do the following:

Undo the transit screws, Then I would probably remove the platter surround from the deck  - this is done by pulling the wood trim forward and this releases all the metal plates. Lift off the platter surround and you will see the motor and the pulley. You can then easily put the platter on and position the belt. Then put the platter surround back on and push the wood trim back. I would practice releasing and  refitting the metal panel a few times so that you get the hang of it.

Once that is done, fit the cartridge and check the tracking weight is set correctly - 1.2g is suitable for the MMC20EN. I would then give it a whirl!

As far as leads go, a DIN to RCA will be fine and run an earth from the casing of the DIN plug to the earth on the amplifier. 

Soundsmith do make super cartridges but it is a shame they are not silver! I actually use a MMC20CL on my 4000 which is still in good condition.  The service manual for this deck is on site and it is a very good one. I don't have the user manual (anyone?)

Welcome to the Beogram 4000 fan club! And Beoworld! 

• 01-09-2008 9:07 PM In reply to

• tyres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I recently sourced a DIN to phono lead for Beogram turntable from Flashback Sales (http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/). A bit pricey at £20,
    (or maybe not if you want a good cable) but a good quality cable, well put together. Has ground (earth) lead too. 

Colin

• 01-09-2008 9:15 PM In reply to

• tyres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

Actually I'll be interested in your experience connecting your Beogram to your amp's phono input socket, assuming it's not a B&O amp? I tried connecting a Beogram 9500 to the phono input on my amp, and got dreadful sound out of it :-( I tried the AUX socket instead, and got a much more acceptable result. Not sure why the bad result from the phono socket happened, something to do with mismatching impedances? I don't really know. Hopefully you won't have the same problem, but I'd like to know the outcome.

Colin

• 01-09-2008 10:47 PM In reply to

• kjj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-09-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

During the mastering process for vinyl records, the sound is pushed through an equalizing curve.  During playback, this transformation needs to be inverted so that it sounds right.  The purpose is to prevent the physical grooves on the record from exceeding the limits of the media.  Wikipedia has some good info on it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization.  Turns out that RIAA did something good once, but that was over 50 years ago... 

The short version is that your playback equipment needs to do the RIAA conversion exactly once.  Too few times or too many times and it sounds like crap.  Some turntables do it, others don't.  Most receivers do it on the phono input (assuming it has a phono input...).

Also, the line input levels can differ, since the audio path on older turntables were pretty much all passive, like an unpowered microphone while everything else (tape, CD, radio, etc) is already amplified to some extent.  I've got an old (70s?) Nikko receiver with different input settings for "MAG. PH." vs. "CER. PH.".  It also has settings for "TAPE 9.5CM" and "TAPE 19CM" which really baffled me when I was younger (the 80s) until I got an old reel to reel tape deck.

So, with my 4004 connected to the phono input of my amp, it sounds great and the speakers start to liquify at about 3 on the volume knob.  Hooked up to any other input, like CD for example, I have to take it to 4 to get a moderate volume out of it, and it sounds pretty poor even then.

I don't know the 9500, but I suspect that it already has a pre-amp to bring to output up to "modern" equipment levels and running it through the phono input on your amp is just sending it through a second pre-amp stage which probably clips the hell out of it.

Regarding the DIN to RCA dongle from the original poster, assuming the DIN pinout on the 4000 is the same as on my 4004, I can probe it out and post the pin assingments if anyone needs them.

• 01-09-2008 11:09 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Peter's advice is always sound however if you are not technically comfortable working on such a complex beast as the Beogram 4000, you would be well advised to find a highly qualified shop to take it to for reassembly.

I too purchased a Beogram 4000 on eBay and it arrived in tatters, with broken internal pieces and the dust cover in ruins.

Help from this forum got my 4000 back in shape and looking no worse for wear from the shipping disaster that befell it.

What I have learned is these marvelous turntables are aging art…. that is, they are beautiful, yet no longer new. My 4000 requires regular re-adjustments to function like a Swiss watch. (Worth every bit of the effort.)

As for a stylus, I recommend a MMC 20CL in very good shape. Failing this a MMC 6000 would be very nice. The ultimate is NOS, but these are exceedingly difficult to find. I managed to find one for my Beogram 4004 and the difference in sound quality was astonishing.

Sound-Smiths make a fine product, but personally I just can’t live with that black cartridge.

Good luck with your Beogram 4000.

Jeff

• 01-10-2008 1:50 AM In reply to

In principle I agree with you. In practice, even NOS cartridges can suffer from hardening suspension and this does affect sound quality. This allied to the fact that most cartridges on eBay sold as 'new' are used, would lead me to get a Soundsmith one.

I also like the MMC6000 but  I have yet to find a good one - the stylus seems very prone to wear.

• 01-10-2008 8:47 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Why on earth don't Soundsmith make their cartridges look more like the originals - do B&O insist on a significant visual difference? 

Cheers

Nigel

• 01-10-2008 9:35 AM In reply to

They are not a bad likeness - if they were silver they would be fine. I have a SMMC20EN and it is a lovely cartridge. However I would get a MMC20CL+ in a flash if it was silver! I did offer to get some cases made silver at no cost to them but nothing came of it. Maybe if there were enough of us they would consider it.
  • 01-10-2008 10:46 AM In reply to

• tyres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply kjj. I was under the impression that the 9500 doesn't have the RIAA amplifier (could be wrong!), so I'd assume it would work with the phono stage on an (non B&O) amp, but it doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Colin

• 01-10-2008 12:36 PM In reply to

You are quite correct in thinking that the Beogram 9500 doesn't have a standard RIAA. It was an option though so I suppose yours has one fitted.
  • 01-10-2008 1:54 PM In reply to

• tyres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

That certainly would explain the dreadful sound quality when I connected the 9500 to the phono input on the amp, and why it worked pretty well when connected to the AUX input. My sister (previously) had it connected to the Ouverture CD/Tape/Tuner system, possibly via the AUX input (I'm not sure about that). If the Beogram had the RIAA wouldn't that have conflicted with the RIAA amp in the Ouverture? It didn't, but I just wondered how that worked.

Colin

• 01-10-2008 2:14 PM In reply to

Hi all

Wow, what a response!

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I have found a din-phono converter on Ebay that has an earth lead and it was only a few £ so I'll try that first.  I don't really want to get into spending loads on a cable until I know the main unit is sound.

I'm not particularly technically competent but I think I can manage what Peter suggested - so I'll give it a go...

More once I get the cable - until then I can only really look at it...

Thanks again

• 01-10-2008 3:11 PM In reply to

tyres:

That certainly would explain the dreadful sound quality when I connected the 9500 to the phono input on the amp, and why it worked pretty well when connected to the AUX input. My sister (previously) had it connected to the Ouverture CD/Tape/Tuner system, possibly via the AUX input (I'm not sure about that). If the Beogram had the RIAA wouldn't that have conflicted with the RIAA amp in the Ouverture? It didn't, but I just wondered how that worked.

Colin

The Ouverture doesn't have a RIAA. Her dealer probably got her the internal RIAA for the Beogram because of this. They were very cheap! 

• 01-10-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

• tyres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Ah, I didn't realise the Ouverture doesn't have an RIAA. I assumed it would have. That explains that then! Thanks.

Colin

• 01-12-2008 5:13 PM In reply to

tyres:

Hi,

Actually I'll be interested in your experience connecting your Beogram to your amp's phono input socket, assuming it's not a B&O amp? I tried connecting a Beogram 9500 to the phono input on my amp, and got dreadful sound out of it :-( I tried the AUX socket instead, and got a much more acceptable result. Not sure why the bad result from the phono socket happened, something to do with mismatching impedances? I don't really know. Hopefully you won't have the same problem, but I'd like to know the outcome.

Colin

Hi

I bought a cable from a seller on Ebay for about £3 - DIN to phono plus earth and its working great.  I have the t/table connected to a non-B&O amp and there is no problem at all.  Let me know if you want the seller's details.

Cheers 

• 01-18-2008 5:22 PM In reply to

• tyres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Thanks anyway. I just wanted to know if you had any problems, as I had already got the cable from Flashback Sales.

In fact the problem I experienced was probably due to the Beogram 9500 I was connecting to the phono input of a non-B&O amp having RIAA amplification already built in, thus producing distortion when put through another amplification process (the amp's phono stage). It worked pretty well when connected to the AUX socket of the amp, which supports that idea. Glad your machine is working well anyway!

Colin

• 01-19-2008 6:27 PM In reply to

I am getting slightly worried as I am using my turtable more than ever, I just swap now and again between a few that I have, MMC 20CL on occasion for new vinyl but mostly have MMC 20S on and it plays well. I know I will have to splash out eventually but I dont like the look of the Soundsmith ones to date, they look more crude. I will eventually go there if they make them look better.

Kev

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)