in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-10-2008 11:04 AM by malct. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2008 11:00 AM

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

2nd hand market

Looking at the 2nd hand prices on the B&O Plasma and LCD TV'S It looks like prices are falling like stones and buying new is not good value for money when the price of a plasma has dropped £8000 from new price within a short time.
    With the lastest High Street LCD's selling for around £1000, maybe buying a second hand B&O is not a option unless your wanting the lastest in looks.

Malc
  • 01-09-2008 11:22 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Re: 2nd hand market

And is there really that much difference in the looks? I know I'm going to upset a few folk here, but I think anyone who spends £5K,6K,7K,8K+ on a plasma / lcd TV either needs their bumps feeling or has more money than I will ever have! The technology is still being developed and sets are bound to become inferior compared to current models in no time at all.

If anyone responds to this thread by saying that I'm ignorant, or just plain jealous of people who can afford to spend that sort of money............they're probably correct!

Cheers

Nigel

• 01-09-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

Hi:

I don't really know if this is relevant but when looking to buy a plasma TV a few months back (October/November/December 07) I was going to get a Pioneer ex-display for about £1000. In the end I didn't and instead opted for an oldish Avant which I paid £450 for delivered. I know there are all the problems of getting tubes when these break but  I still praise the day when I made that decision. Despite its age the TV is beautiful and I know this is sad but I sometimes look at it as something other than a TV - more like a style icon. The sound quality blows me away and although we could have debates about this ad infinitum I feel that my Avant out does most HDs esp in the £1000 - £1500 price bracket that I was in at the time.

I feel that the B&O plasma/LCD screens are way over-priced. I know this is to be expected with B&O and perhaps in a weird way that is part of the attraction but I can't think of anything more silly than sinking £8,000 into a technology which is still pretty much in its early stages.

I am still after a near perfect beovision 1. I know there are the tube issues again. However, I would still prefer to replace the tube than get a plasma of any kind but esp at B&O money! I know that the main advantage of flat screens is that they take up far less space. However, I fail to see this as an issue with B&O equipment as it is not only something to use as a TV but also to look at when switched off.

I can't understand why people opt for poorer picture quality just to save a bit of space. However, this is only my opinion! That said the B&O flat screens do look good but again they are not all that distinctive from other screens.

• 01-09-2008 12:36 PM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Nice to hear two good Views.
    I too bought a 32in Avant last year which was only 3 or 4 years old and Wow what a set and i have it hooked up to Linn speakers and the sound is second to none.
    I am looking at upgrading my TV for one that i can use Via a PC for use with you Tube and other PC use's.

I do have to be honest and say Yes i love all the B&O Stuff, but they are well out priced by the hign street market and cant even justify buying 2nd hand

• 01-09-2008 1:46 PM In reply to

h1npw:

And is there really that much difference in the looks? I know I'm going to upset a few folk here, but I think anyone who spends £5K,6K,7K,8K+ on a plasma / lcd TV either needs their bumps feeling or has more money than I will ever have! The technology is still being developed and sets are bound to become inferior compared to current models in no time at all.

If anyone responds to this thread by saying that I'm ignorant, or just plain jealous of people who can afford to spend that sort of money............they're probably correct!

Cheers

Nigel

You probably are jealous! Laughing  But in my view it doesn't stop you being right! I still don't think that the LCD sets measure up to the old CRTs yet and hence am not about to buy one. Plasmas are different but I can't bring myself to spend over £10,000 on something I will use for probably 2 hours a week! I am coming round to the opinion that I will keep my Avant for most of my viewing and set up a projector for when I want to have films. Then I can have a really big screen rather than having a compromise.

• 01-09-2008 1:59 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

h1npw:

Cheers

Nigel

well one must bear in mind that the same individuals paid £5700 for the avant in its later guise. I would agree about LCD, plasma though is a good experience and the avant just doesnt give realstic movie experience as does a plasma.

A projector may be an option but they tend to not be that good unless its HD and one has a room with light levels that can take it

• 01-10-2008 3:45 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Peter:

I will keep my Avant.

This guy wants to trade his hi-tech plasma including a HDD, DVD etc for an Avant!

blocket

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 01-10-2008 4:55 AM In reply to

Daniel:

Peter:

I will keep my Avant.

This guy wants to trade his hi-tech plasma including a HDD, DVD etc for an Avant!

blocket

This says it all !!!!!!!!!

I for one will keep and enjoy my BV3.32 and Avant as long as possible and would not trade it in for any LCD or Plasma; the Avant and BV3 are the best you can buy, without loosing to much money on write off and every LCD or plasma will suffer from that...........

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 01-10-2008 11:04 AM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Looks like the advant is still best value for your money and even though i bought my avant for £1400 last year 2nd hand, it still means that the average Avant owner is only loosing no more than £4000 4 years down the line, compared to someone buying a plasma a year ago and loosing £8000.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)