in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-10-2008 4:54 AM by Graham1982. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2008 10:52 AM

Bang and Olufsen B&O BeoVox Cona Passive Subwoofer

Would this be any good for or indeed is it compatible with an Avant to build a pro-logic system?

Thanks

Graham

• 01-09-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

Re: Bang and Olufsen B&O BeoVox Cona Passive Subwoofer

I don't think I would use in a prologic setup. First your front speakers shuold be passive speakers driven by the same amp as your Cona since the cut can not be done within the TV in a prologic system (if I remember right). Second I think you would need two amps. One per channel. The prologic outputs left and right on two connectors but the amp only has one powerlink connentor. Even then I would only do it if my front speakers where CX speakers. And even then I don't think I would do it at all.

/Lars

• 01-09-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You could do it, but the cost incurred would be higher than getting an Avant with a Dolby Digital board, and the results no way near as good.

The Cona would require a separate amplifier, and depending in your main speakers, may not give much of an improvement...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-09-2008 1:01 PM In reply to

Sorry, I meant to say that my Avant is Dolby enabled but having looked at the proper  sub for this system it is way out of my price range for the min. Could anyone give me some basic prices (lowest) of a setup with b&o speakers - Ebay etc?

Thanks

Graham

PS I mean a ball park estimate!

• 01-09-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Graham, the main problem is that you need Active speakers. This will mean you would need several ML/MCL converters to use as amps. To power different sets of Passive speakes.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-09-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

If your Avant has Dolby Digital (With a powerlink socket for a sub) you could use a Cona with a fair result.
    With the Cona connected to the Avants digital board the cut-off filtering is not taking place in the Cona. Put a MCL 2P to just run the Cona and it will performe okay.

And for the price on speakers do you mean a complete setup with front, rear and sub?

/Lars

• 01-09-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I wouldn't want to use an MCL2P to drive a Cona, or any subwoofer for that matter!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-09-2008 5:05 PM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

What would you use to drive it then?
  • 01-09-2008 6:35 PM In reply to

You could use a Beolab 200 (150W monoblock amplifier).  Complete with Powerlink input.  I have a pair that I use to drive my "proper" hi-fi speakers when I hitch them up to my BC9500.

Lawrence 

Lawrence
  • 01-10-2008 3:26 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

See this thread http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/76526.aspx for alternatives to Beolab 2.

I use a 100 € non B&O Sub connect via DIN/RCA cable to my BV 3-32 DD module.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 01-10-2008 4:54 AM In reply to

Hi:

Yes, I mean a complete setup with sub and all of that. To be honest I am not that great at picking out dfferent quality speakers in high end systems. I mean, I can clearly tell the difference between a pair of plasticy computer speakers or cheap integrated system speakers. Thus I guess I am just looking for a resonably modern (or of the same age as my Avant) set of B&O speakers that are meant for the purpose. Namely plug straight into the back of my TV without having to "drive" them with anything else making it a lash up.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far...

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)