in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2008 5:32 PM by redfresnel. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2008 1:15 PM

Randomly weaker right-channel

Hey!

I have this problem, which occurs mostly (not always) when listening to music for a longer time. The right channel sometimes seems to be significantly weaker than the other. The amount of weakness is quite random, though sometimes it's very difficult to hear anything when turning the balance fully to the right. Sometimes the speakers sound ok and there's no difference between them. I have Beomaster 5500 with BeoVox RL 60.2s. Wiring to speakers should be fine, same applies for the signal, being miniplug - 2x rca from computer.

It's maybe not hardware dependant, because i could replay the same problem with two more amps, and with one i couldn't. For the detail the first two are Harman Kardon's PM 665 from the 80's/90's and Pioneer QA-800A, a 4-channel amp from early 70's. The one on which the problem didn't occur is (surprisingly) my crappy Sony mini-hifi-system (i don't know why they call those things "hifi"). According to my roommate, his audiosystems work out fine.

I was thinking could electricity have something to do with this, because last time hit the hoover on, my lights dimmed a bit. I checked the fuse panel and found out that we have 6A fuse for three rooms! (Well, the building was built in 1920. ;) ) One being mine, one is my roommate's and last room is mostly empty. Anyway, the power consumpion between the tested amps vary from 130W to 250W. Sony being the lightest and HK heaviest. Though it's strange that the weakening occurs always on the right channel (from the amplifier) and not evenly with L&R. Does someone know if the power goes first to left and then through that channel to the right? Though it doesn't sound logical...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Olli

• 01-08-2008 2:03 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Randomly weaker right-channel

I think you can safely rule out any power theories. 

What you have with the Beomaster 5500 is a typical symptom of a bad muting relay. This is very common and not an expensive repair.

Could also be the speakers, check the crossovers for bad solders.

Martin

• 01-08-2008 4:29 PM In reply to

Agree with Dillen. Try connecting your speakers to the Spk2 sockets. These sockets bypass the mute relay.

Regards Graham

• 01-08-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

Ok, thanks. I did a quick test and i can indeed hear an improvement in the balance.  At least everything has worked fine for 15mins now. ;)

But, does this mean that i am destined with 3 amps with faulty parts? I don't know if you know what do with the 2 other, but how should proceed with the Beomaster? Is the muting relay somehow an usual fault for these symptoms, or is there some other parts i should check too with the other amps? Because it'd be nice to get them working too, though they're not too much in use nowadays, especially when im picking up a BC9500 tomorrow. *smile*

New B&O stuff coming from doors and windows faster than im able to connect them. =D

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)